Katie Lou | The Boneyard

Katie Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Anyone else really impressed with the leap she's taken? Obviously she was a great shooter last year, and could get to the rim when she wanted, but she has added a strong postup game and really battles in there for rebounds. She's added a lot of strength to her frame, obviously she'll never be bulky, but she's built like Stewart - deceptively strong.

There was one sequence where she posted up really strong on the strong side, didn't get the ball, kept her position and then posted up on the weak side when the ball swung around and got it inside in perfect position. Doris said something about "an easy two for UConn" (I am NOT bashing Doris, it did appear this way) but Katie had done tons of work keeping her position throughout the play and MAN did ND manhandle her.

Every cut she made, every time she went through the lane, she was bumped, and hard. That must be out of the "get physical with UConn" playbook. Doesn't appear to be working.

Reaction Score
The saying "the biggest improvement in athletes is between their freshman and sophomore years" is true in KLS' case. She is showing that she is more than just an outside shooter. She is also starting to get used to the physicality which is also a plus. (Not sure why teams continue to think that if you get physical with UCONN, you have a chance of winning).

Reaction Score
The saying "the biggest improvement in athletes is between their freshman and sophomore years" is true in KLS' case. She is showing that she is more than just an outside shooter. She is also starting to get used to the physicality which is also a plus. (Not sure why teams continue to think that if you get physical with UCONN, you have a chance of winning).
They don't really. They just think they can lose closer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree about the post-ups and the bumping and physical play and Lou fighting through it. One thing that needs to change - she is working hard and getting some really good position on her smaller defender and consistently she is not getting the pass - players have to start rewarding her for that effort or she may get discouraged. they missed her a number of times last night. There was also a weird offensive set in the second half where she ran across the foul line completely unguarded and did not get a psss - it was one of the only moments she was 5 feet clear of any defender all night I think, and whoever was holding the ball looked at her and then did something else a lot less useful - just weird.

Reaction Score
Seeing her catch a pass, then spinning and putting the ball on the floor as she drives to the basket is a great addition to her game this year.

Reaction Score
After the game about 2 weeks ago, CD said that they were showing her films of Richard "Rip" Hamilton, certainly the best player in UConn history in getting open by moving without the ball. And now, progressively, they've taught her movement and created isolation plays for her. I suspect they will continue to create complexity for all three of their wings, taking advantage of their athleticism.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
KLS is just now acquiring the skills to put the ball on the floor and drive for a basket. She's only going to get better and by her Senior year she'll be unbeatable. Play off her and she'll pop up for a two or three point basket. Guard her closely and she'll drive pass her defender for an easy basket. Also by her Senior year, she'll better recognize when to pass the ball to an open teammate for a three point basket. She made the right choice to come to UConn to be the best player she can be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone else really impressed with the leap she's taken? Obviously she was a great shooter last year, and could get to the rim when she wanted, but she has added a strong postup game and really battles in there for rebounds. She's added a lot of strength to her frame, obviously she'll never be bulky, but she's built like Stewart - deceptively strong.

There was one sequence where she posted up really strong on the strong side, didn't get the ball, kept her position and then posted up on the weak side when the ball swung around and got it inside in perfect position. Doris said something about "an easy two for UConn" (I am NOT bashing Doris, it did appear this way) but Katie had done tons of work keeping her position throughout the play and MAN did ND manhandle her.

Every cut she made, every time she went through the lane, she was bumped, and hard. That must be out of the "get physical with UConn" playbook. Doesn't appear to be working.
Lou is getting the Stewie treatment, and unlike Stewie who had Dolson & Stokes around to protect her, the bumping and hand-checking that Lou is facing this season has reached an entirely new level. IMO it is the ultimate complement to Lou's ability that opponents are doing everything possible to keep her from beating them, and yet Lou is still beating them.

Reaction Score
The reason Collier and gabby will have great seasons is because teams are going to worry more about kls which will give them more opportunities to get open looks. If kls carries this team to a NC she will be one of the greatest uconn players not named Maya.

Reaction Score

I'll bash Doris. Towards the end of the game, she said, "This is a very talented, very deep Notre Dame team. But UConn is going to walk out of here with a win."

Huh? It's as if UConn got lucky, as if they didn't deserve it. I'm really tired of her constant cheerleading for Connecticut to lose.

Reaction Score
If they think they can distract Lou by bumping her, they have picked on the wrong person. Lou could have had an easy road in life: a 6'3" blond California kid who could have gone to Stanford with her sisters and fit in right away. But she always has been determined to push herself beyond what comes easy to her. She'll thrive on this challenge. With her height, her outside shot, her mid-range perfect form jumper, and her skills around the rim, she is quickly becoming a match-up nightmare.

Reaction Score
I'll bash Doris. Towards the end of the game, she said, "This is a very talented, very deep Notre Dame team. But UConn is going to walk out of here with a win."
Huh? It's as if UConn got lucky, as if they didn't deserve it. I'm really tired of her constant cheerleading for Connecticut to lose.
I took it the opposite way: I saw it as giving credit to UConn for beating a very deep and talented team (which Notre Dame certainly is) in South Bend. Really, if you rewatch the game, you'll hear Doris several times saying that Geno is the best coach in WCBB; and more than that, that he really adds points to his team. I'm far from a Doris fan, but she was highly complimentary to UConn, I thought.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If they think they can distract Lou by bumping her, they have picked on the wrong person. Lou could have had an easy road in life: a 6'3" blond California kid who could have gone to Stanford with her sisters and fit in right away. But she always has been determined to push herself beyond what comes easy to her. She'll thrive on this challenge. With her height, her outside shot, her mid-range perfect form jumper, and her skills around the rim, she is quickly becoming a match-up nightmare.
You might be the only person I know who thinks going to Stanford is the "easy" road in life.:rolleyes:;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno said they have had to "Beat the California out of her." Lou has always been a tough kid, but now she's becoming Badass. And she's only a sophomore. :)
Yea, she does seem a bit laid back sometimes. Must be all those In-N-Out burgers. ;)

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-8_7-7-17.png

Reaction Score

Doris is a well known UConn shill. Very much the anti-Debonelli.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
A couple of "little" things Lou is good at:

1. Drawing charges. Another one last night, probably six or so for the year.

Drawing a charge is not for the feint of heart. Take it from someone who avoided doing so during his (lackluster and mediocre) playing days.

2. Getting to the rim. If you DVR'd the game, stop the action on the play Young unfortunately hurt her ankle. Look at Lou's arm extension. Huge advantage for her. Also, I am sure that getting extension like that took hours, actually years, of practice.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion and going by memory but I think there are two areas where KLS is more advanced than Stewart was at the same point in their development. I think KLS has handled the rough play better (she is tough) and she is better at fronting her defender, putting the ball on the floor and creating shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom