Kansas State Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Kansas State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Geno said - Chong being out hurt how they could attack.

Game would have probably been quite a bit ugly if we had her. We would have ben able to attack more with guard play.

That was the best center UCONN played against this year.

Reaction Score
Thanks but it was a rhetorical question.
cce.png

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Did anybody else really like that sweet little baseline runner from Danger toward the end ?

So pretty ... so effortless(!)...you watch her dish out those little gems now and again and you realize that there is a MONSTER game being held in abeyance while she figures things out this year.

Yep. She's gonna be great, just a matter of when.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Totally agree, I have said before you guys are really spoiled. This could have easily been a trap game for you, KLS, Williams and Nurse playing the whole Notre dame game and KLS getting beat up the whole game and yet here again they are all out there logging big minutes to keep this feisty K State team at bay. Chong is crucial as you need that player to take off a little pressure in points of the game and that is what she has been doing.

Reaction Score
Did anybody else really like that sweet little baseline runner from Danger toward the end ?
To me it looked like she just got tired of passing it around when none of her teammates (mostly bench players) wanted to make anything happen and it just kept coming back to her. So she just took matters into her own hands.

Reaction Score
Collier (like the rest of the team) is just a little off today.

They're tired. These ladies have been playing most of their games, every game, and it's beginning to show. Plus, they've played really tough, big teams. With the exception of, perhaps, Dayton, these teams either should be in the top-25, are in the top-25, or could be. Chattanooga is also good. Just playing super tough schedule.

Reaction Score
Ugly, ugly, ugly! No intensity and sense of urgency whatsoever from our guys. Hope Geno reads them the riot act after this one.

A lot of the ugly is created by Kansas State. Lewis getting rebounds, blocking shots, disrupting inside passing. And their guards are tough, especially on defense.

I figured their 9-0 record was no fluke. And it isn't. Kudos to K-State. They are certainly going to make a lot of waves in the Big 12, and later.

Reaction Score

So pretty ... so effortless(!)...you watch her dish out those little gems now and again and you realize that there is a MONSTER game being held in abeyance while she figures things out this year. Not sure when the monster will come out but when it does, look out world!!! And yes I am aware of what she did at Baylor. That was an outstanding game but it still just scratched the surface IMO.
Right! If the real Danger steps forward this year, Uconn wins the NC, no question. The Huskies lack a big, reliable center, a reliable point guard, and depth. The team has shown it can win without a big center. Geno often uses only 7 players, so lack of depth can be managed, though with difficulty. It will be a huge challenge to win the NC without a superior point guard. Although, this team has so many good passers and smart players that I'm still betting they will win it all. The real Danger would seal the deal.

Reaction Score
Huskies just looked a little slow today. Geno knew they were tired, which is nothing to be ashamed of considering the schedule and travel they've dealt with. My biggest positive take away was that the fatigue never came through in mental errors, just physically looked a little off. This team is very entertaining, and MENTALLY TOUGH !

Reaction Score
Right! If the real Danger steps forward this year, Uconn wins the NC, no question. The Huskies lack a big, reliable center, a reliable point guard, and depth. The team has shown it can win without a big center. Geno often uses only 7 players, so lack of depth can be managed, though with difficulty. It will be a huge challenge to win the NC without a superior point guard. Although, this team has so many good passers and smart players that I'm still betting they will win it all. The real Danger would seal the deal.

I think that Dangerfield has not been herself since the concussion. That sweet baseline move was the first glimpse of the old Crystal since then. She missed all five of her 3's today.

And now Saniya.

Notice that Texas's Ariel Atkins has still not returned from the concussion she suffered in the UConn game? Didn't even pass out. Just a hard knock while slipping on the court.

Reaction Score
This team is mentally incapable of playing 1 solid half, they blow one quarter every game going 5 or 7 minuted like they have no idea what's going on. They just get lazy for stretches of every game. They should have put this game away, up by 25+, but they thought it was over and stopped playing for 7 minutes.

Your expectation isn't based on reality. It's based on last year or a pro team. Against a decent opponent that has a little fight (unlike DePaul) - you don't seem to realize that the other player's are on scholarship too.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno told the starters, we will beat KSU with our shooting, our defense, our passing, but if we get in foul trouble we are short. Play your game just dont get in foul trouble.
We gave up several baskets to the KSU bigs and if you dont want to foul, then that will happen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Totally agree, I have said before you guys are really spoiled. This could have easily been a trap game for you, KLS, Williams and Nurse playing the whole Notre dame game and KLS getting beat up the whole game and yet here again they are all out there logging big minutes to keep this feisty K State team at bay. Chong is crucial as you need that player to take off a little pressure in points of the game and that is what she has been doing.
My main reaction to the game is that it is very disappointing that Geno does not have enough confidence in Molly Bent to let her contribute some minutes and take some pressure off starters , even in the second quarter with an double digit lead.

I wonder why not, to be honest.

Reaction Score
My main reaction to the game is that it is very disappointing that Geno does not have enough confidence in Molly Bent to let her contribute some minutes and take some pressure off starters , even in the second quarter with an double digit lead.

I thought so too. Got to figure she is struggling a lot in practice otherwise he would have used her,. He used her vs FSU. I thought he should have treid - but practice must tell him different.

Reaction Score
It seemed like their adrenaline got them going at the start and carried them for while. When it wore off, things got a lot more difficult. Being tired means slower reactions and difficulty with timing. Kansas State played tough and Lewis looked really good. A win is a win...

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Some here need to take a few deep breaths. Not a vintage UConn performance by any means, but with a short bench and a LOT of recent travel they looked both physically and mentally tired.
Props to KS for being scrappy, but a rested/full strength UConn on a neutral floor wins by 30.

Reaction Score
I think that Dangerfield has not been herself since the concussion. That sweet baseline move was the first glimpse of the old Crystal since then. She missed all five of her 3's today.

And now Saniya.

Notice that Texas's Ariel Atkins has still not returned from the concussion she suffered in the UConn game? Didn't even pass out. Just a hard knock while slipping on the court.

Consider Dangerfield's play in the second half. Let's begin by examining the defense she played on the sharp shooter, Wesemann. How many points did she score in the 2nd half? Crystal's defense was about as good as it could have been. Secondly, while we saw some passing mistakes by her, mainly in the first half, there were teammates doing the same thing - that tends to happen against a zone. But, what I also saw were some bounce passes - assists - into the lane, and under the basket that Crystal, as a Freshman guard, has a better handle on than any of her teammates.
Yes, she's not last year's Jefferson, but, she's already played "beyond her years". As she gets the conference games under her belt, my guess is the doubters on this board will be "wowed" by her play come post-season. She's a talent that's catching on fast, and it'll only get better!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

I agree 1000% about Bent and Irwin. Nurse was gassed at the end. I have lots of opinions about this but I wonder if they did not have the streak if his approach would be different. A non league, road game in December and he basically plays 6? It is not so much that Irwin and Bent deserve time, KLS and Kia need a blow. I really worry about them getting hurt. Collier and Williams got a blow. I know they are freshmen but is there is no way they are going to cost them a game if they play 8 or 9 minutes. Especially if they have a big lead.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know they are freshmen but is there is no way they are going to cost them a game if they play 8 or 9 minutes. Especially if they have a big lead.

The score was 50-50 after the 1st quarter. Putting in Irwin and Bent would not have been productive, imo.

Reaction Score
I wondered why Geno didn't put Bent or Irwin in, but then I began to wonder if the trust and confidence simply isn't there for him to feel comfortable putting them in the game despite the lead. Unfortunately, we don't get to see what practices are like - this is one of the cases where I really wish we did. We just don't know how they're improving in practice, how they're playing in practice, or what the deal is there. I give major props to Katie and Kia because, despite looking like empty balloons by the time the game was over, they tried. Both played 40 at ND and both played 39 tonight. I'm proud of their endurance and determination!

Reaction Score
I agree 1000% about Bent and Irwin. Nurse was gassed at the end. I have lots of opinions about this but I wonder if they did not have the streak if his approach would be different. A non league, road game in December and he basically plays 6? It is not so much that Irwin and Bent deserve time, KLS and Kia need a blow. I really worry about them getting hurt. Collier and Williams got a blow. I know they are freshmen but is there is no way they are going to cost them a game if they play 8 or 9 minutes. Especially if they have a big lead.

I don't agree. The other team would be more capable of going on a run and between the turnovers of Molly and Kyla and the defense - they could put the others in foul trouble. And ofc change momentum.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Geno could care less about the streak ,it's all about getting better and earning your minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom