K-State Refusing to Release Player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

K-State Refusing to Release Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Why would any player go to K State after this? Perhaps they think they're 'sending a message' but it's the wrong message.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Just think a Superstar like Diamond DeShields can transfer yet Leticia Romero can't because K State is being unreasonable. Its not right.

Reaction Score
Just think a Superstar like Diamond DeShields can transfer yet Leticia Romero can't because K State is being unreasonable. Its not right.
How is Deshields able to transfer without sitting out a year?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She isn't. The K-State issue has nothing to do with sitting out a year, you have to do that regardless. It has to do with whether or not the player can be on a team / scholarship the next year or not. In neither case can they compete in games.

Reaction Score

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Do you know why that was done? As I remember from discussions at the time. It was done to protect her. She knew where she was going, Delaware, and Geno keeping the failure to release in place kept other schools from being able to contact her and starting up her recruiting chaos all over again while other details were worked out. Money and affording school was never an issue for EDD.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I saw this on another board.

Delle Donne heading to Delaware
articles.philly.com/2008-08-19/sports/25257463_1_ursuline-academy-mel-greenberg-coach-auriemma

"Auriemma, in an e-mail to several newspapers yesterday, said he would not grant Delle Donne a release from her commitment. That limits her ability to play elsewhere."
Yes, there was this quote as well:

“Coach Auriemma and the team have been extremely understanding during this time of my transition from high school to college, and I thank them for that,’’ Delle Donne said. “I am especially grateful to Coach Auriemma whose kind wisdom has shown me why UConn is such a class program.’’

More detailed info from the Register

There is speculation that Delle Donne will attempt to join the Delaware volleyball program this season. However, she must first be released from her scholarship at UConn in order to compete for the Blue Hens. Also, Delaware coach Bonnie Kenny said Monday that she has yet to speak with Delle Donne.

Sources said today that Delle Donne has yet to ask to be released from her scholarship. And Auriemma said in an e-mail to the Connecticut Post today that there is “no timetable’’ for her releas
e.

There was no release because Elena hadn't spoken to Delaware yet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is not true as far as I know - DD will have to sit out as well and if UNC chooses not to grant a 'release' then she too will have to pay her own way. It will be much easier for her because she is not coming from Spain and DD's parents would appear to have the means to pay tuition room and board for a year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As far as I know Uconn has not refused to release any player in any sport, but there have been instances where the release process was delayed for a week or more for various reasons including as others noted for the players benefit as they figured out their own situation. Specific to EDDs situation she had a real personal crisis and a certain amount of time for her, her family, and Uconn to understand the situation made a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
And 5 days later he did.

EDD released

What was your point?

None. Just showing what I saw waiting for the more informed to respond. However, initially UCONN did not simply release EDD immediately. UCONN waited to see where she was going and what her intent was. So it would have been interesting if she said I want to go Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke or some other program which could have been a real threat to UCONN. Would she have been released 5 days later or not? We will never know.

Reaction Score
I am reluctant to feed a TROLL, but I will just say this:

EDD told the staff she was transferring because she was homesick. If she turned around and entrolled at Stanford, we'd know that was a lie. I think it's not unreasonable for Geno to get a truthful response before granting a release.

It was also my impression that since she had not enrolled over the summer, if she were granted a release from her LOI, she could turn around and immediately play. Thus a kid could fake an excuse to get out of an LOI. Waiting until she enrolled at DE allowed Geno to be sure that wasnt happening.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
None. Just showing what I saw waiting for the more informed to respond. However, initially UCONN did not simply release EDD immediately. UCONN waited to see where she was going and what her intent was. So it would have been interesting if she said I want to go Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke or some other program which could have been a real threat to UCONN. Would she have been released 5 days later or not? We will never know.
Note until she officially requested request there was no release for UCONN to give her. The 5 days had nothing to do with it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We will never know because she had no intention of attending any other school unless it was close to home.

But we certainly know she received her release.

Your response to a post that said "Uconn doesn't do this BS" was to try to show they do.

I think that is what set Vowelguy off. Just because Nan posted her boneyard/Summitt thread doesn't mean folks can take what is viewed as a shot without hearing something back.

Reaction Score
Ye
I'm not sure you read the article. If she quits then transfers, she would have to pay tuition, etc for the year and she can't afford to do that. The young lady is from Spain and has no support system in the U.S.
Yes Nan, I remember reading the original article about Romero and her family still in Spain and they have no $ to send her to school in USA without a scholarship! Personally I'm against the rules to prevent freeing a player from their scholarship to transfer! It's a sour grapes approach!

Reaction Score
Thank you being so warm and welcoming.

I'm very warm and welcoming to friendly guests.
But, if you come to my house and start insinuating things about my family/friends, I'm less warm.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sure wouldn't want to be a recruiter for KState this year!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas has latched onto this one... Stay tuned.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is an interesting column - that may shed some light on KState's stance. If they have cause to believe there has been tampering by a member of the former staff and/or actual destruction of files it might be somewhat justified, at least in the short term. I would think they might actual say something to the effect that a final decision has yet to be reached rather than a flat denial to lessen the PR disaster.

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634056

Reaction Score
K-State has to realize this kind of story cannot help recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom