'Just another game': Ohio State working to stay focused ahead of Sweet 16 matchup with UConn | The Boneyard

'Just another game': Ohio State working to stay focused ahead of Sweet 16 matchup with UConn

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
On Monday Cotie McMahon didn't disguise her feelings.
"I want to play UConn so bad," McMahon said. "Before the season even started, UConn."

Kevin McGuff plays down UCONN's mystique.
(UCONN) Obviously, an incredible program," Ohio State coach Kevin McGuff said. "
"But when the game tips off, McGuff wants the Buckeyes to forget all that."

Forty-eight hours later Cotie McMahon says the coach's line.
"They’re a good team, but all the teams we’ve played are good teams," McMahon said. "It’s just another game for us."

Reaction Score
Not sure this is exactly what I would have said to the press. Maybe to my team behind closed doors but when you are playing a team capable of shutting down completely on defense you don't poke the bear.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I, for one, don't mind giving them what they wish for. You want UConn? YOU'LL GET UCONN! And we will have follow up questions at 6:15 PM on Saturday to hear how that worked out for you...:rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I, for one, don't mind giving them what they wish for. You want UConn? YOU'LL GET UCONN! And we will have follow up questions at 6:15 PM on Saturday to hear how that worked out for you...:rolleyes:
Oh don’t be so cocky, after all they are THE Ohio State University as opposed to, I guess, some other Ohio State University. And we who have connections to a small school in Ann Arbor will be quite content with watching some Buckeyes eat THE crow.

Reaction Score
They're also one seed below us, so in theory this one should be a lot closer than against 7-seeded Baylor.

Reaction Score
Do the players really care about stuff like this? Given the volume of coverage and all that is written on and offline about the team and its players I can't image they do or even have time to wade through all that noise.

Reaction Score
Do the players really care about stuff like this? Given the volume of coverage and all that is written on and offline about the team and its players I can't image they do or even have time to wade through all that noise.
We'll have our answer if UConn wins and our players start chanting, "We want UConn!" after the game like they did with Villanova last year.

Reaction Score
I love McMahon’s honesty way more than the coach’s circumspection. I think I admire her even more after hearing her unguarded comment. Of course she’s itching to play UConn. Game knows game, as they say. Probably motivated her whole season. I wonder why she didn’t just come here in the first place. Didn’t we recruit her? She’s an awesome talent.

Reaction Score
I love McMahon’s honesty way more than the coach’s circumspection. I think I admire her even more after hearing her unguarded comment. Of course she’s itching to play UConn. Game knows game, as they say. Probably motivated her whole season. I wonder why she didn’t just come here in the first place. Didn’t we recruit her? She’s an awesome talent.
Are you suggesting she should have talked to Dorka during recruitment?

Reaction Score
"I want to play UConn so bad," McMahon said. "Before the season even started, UConn."

(UCONN) Obviously, an incredible program," Ohio State coach Kevin McGuff said. "

"They’re a good team, but all the teams we’ve played are good teams," McMahon said. "It’s just another game for us."
Mike Tyson said "every fighter had a game plan when they faced him. One punch in the mouth and they forgot the game plan!" Ohio State is 0-6 against Uconn. I stated before that they will know who Uconn is and will not want another punch in the mouth. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score

when opposing players and coaches aren't excited about playing/beating UConn you'll know there's a problem.....

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap. I can't wait until the game to see if they can back it up....I doubt they can. They were down by 18 vs JMU in the first round and only won by 2 against UNC (who isn't nearly as good as UConn), but for some reason they think they are good enough to beat UConn. The math isn't mathing to me. But we will see.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with a kid saying she wants play UConn. As a coach I'd rather have that than saying they're afraid to play someone. You want to be the best? You have to beat the best.

Reaction Score
I think it has more of an impact in BB and way more during the tournament. I think it will create more focus defensively which is pretty good already.

Reaction Score
I think it has more of an impact in BB and way more during the tournament. I think it will create more focus defensively which is pretty good already.
So you think the players have time to go online and read every article and comment put out there? I say between school work, practice, and other team commitments, they don't and are mostly unaware of this stuff.

Reaction Score
It really concerns me how many people here seem to have dismissed Ohio State and are already penciling us into the FF in Dallas. Don’t forget, they have talent too! They were 19-0 at one point and have beaten some pretty good teams. Their press has caused a lot of teams a lot of problems and we have had turnover issues all season long. Yes, I believe we should win this game but let’s not forget, they want to win too! From here on out, there are not likely to be any more easy games. Let’s respect the mojo and don’t tempt fate!

Reaction Score
They're also one seed below us, so in theory this one should be a lot closer than against 7-seeded Baylor.
Although Baylor was a lower seed than Ohio State, the different styles between the two, IMO, made Baylor a tougher match up: they had team speed and were athletically able to trouble UConn especially on the perimeter. OSU presents a different problem: they are precise and methodical, but without Baylor's overall athleticism and speed. You might out-athleticize UConn or out-physical them, but seldom if ever does a team out-strategize a UConn team.

All that to say that Ohio State in many ways is more in UConn's wheelhouse than Baylor was...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think that McMahon was right to "really want to play UConn". This is going to be their best shot at UConn because next year the calvary is coming...lol.

Folks are correct to give Ohio State some respect...they have 6 players averaging double figures. They have multiple players who can shoot the three...Taylor Mikesell shoots the three at 41 percent. They average 80 points per game. Defensively, they average 11 steals per game...they take care of the basketball only turning it over 13 times per game. They are not a particularly good free-throwing team nor are they particularly strong on the glass.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom