Joyner Holmes | The Boneyard

Joyner Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned she was taking shots and hurting Texas chances. I wonder what wonders Geno could/would have done with that unbridled talent. A Charde/Charles hybrid.
(Ok broke my own rule. Past player references) lol.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned she was taking shots and hurting Texas chances. I wonder what wonders Geno could/would have done with that unbridled talent. A Charde/Charles hybrid.
I didn't see the same thing others commented on - she is a freshman making a huge leap up in competition - I thought she showed some great things and also some 'meh' stuff which is what you sort of expect - what we are getting from Crystal as well. It is a big learning curve for these players. She is getting minutes so I expect she will be more consistent by the end of the season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'd take her on UConn in a heart beat. I'll be comparing her game against Erin Boley and Jackie Young of Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Her and Higgs look like they both have a lot of talent, but so far the Texas players have not been developing as expected. I say if Holmes and Higgs and other highly ranked recruits there don't start noticeably getting better than Karen Aston's strong suit may be recruiting. To my eyes, her players have not gotten better.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

That was me. She's talented but she forced a lot long jumpers and wild shots off the dribble when their last two games were still yet to be decided. I guess one could say that Texas didn't have Atkins late yesterday but, still, I'd be thrilled with those shots if I was the opposing coach. She plays a form of hero ball that she'd never get away with at UConn, and Aston didn't seem to care.

HGN

Reaction Score
Joyner Holmes's talent sort of jumps out at you. Aggressive , good ballhandler , rebounder , and good defensive player. A little raw and untamed , but the big time talent is there. Texas is going to be good for a long time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Her and Higgs look like they both have a lot of talent, but so far the Texas players have not been developing as expected. I say if Holmes and Higgs and other highly ranked recruits there don't start noticeably getting better than Karen Aston's strong suit may be recruiting. To my eyes, her players have not gotten better.

Uh, did you see Kelsey Lang as a freshman or sophomore? How about Boyette's improvement over 4 years?

Texas as a team has made drastic improvements year to year in Aston's short time at UT. Those drastically improved team performances are not just a function of recruiting.

Reaction Score
DD at Tennessee and JH at Texas would've benefited and been tamed by the great GA!

Reaction Score
Holmes actually looked much better against South Carolina......I think the speed and pressure of UConn bothered her........she had one play against SC where she grabbed the defensive rebound and dribbled the length of the court splitting the defense for a basket.........not many girls of her size can do that as easily..........

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Holmes is going to be kicking some butt real soon. She sometimes gets herself into poor shooting position around the basket, but she is accustomed to getting wherever she wants with ease, so it will take her a minute to adjust to how to get to her spot against better talent. But WOW she is going to be good. She has a very good handle, which is going to benefit her greatly in the years to come. IMO, she is the favorite for National FOY. Even though Baylor has to deal with her two or three times a year for the next four years, I am looking forward to seeing her development. She seems like a hard worker and that will help her immensely.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
DD at Tennessee and JH at Texas would've benefited and been tamed by the great GA!
Some people could say that if Chong had gone to ND she would have developed under MM. Also, some could say the same thing about Dangerfield because she has not looked good after that game against Baylor. It's too soon to be judging Holmes and Dangerfield's development. The season has just begun. Imo, they will both be great and Holmes will be an AA before her career is over as will Crystal.

Reaction Score
A good coach would put her on the baseline or high post where she can use her quickness against other bigs. She could be Morgan Tuck 2.0. When she is dribbling 35 feet from the basket, she is no threat. The bigs just back off of her and the opposing guards hound her into turnovers. Morgan Tuck would handle the ball up top often, but seldom would she ever put the ball on the floor unless she was driving to the basket, handing off and screening for a teammate, or getting a better angle for a pass.

It sounds like another case of a big girl promised that she can play on the wing or as a guard. I hope she figures it out before she loses confidence.

Reaction Score
Kmoney, absolutely!!!! I thought she was a big. But she's out there trying to be a guard. She took some bad shots. She's young and will find her way. Hopefully, the coach puts her in a place where she can help the team the most.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A good coach would put her on the baseline or high post where she can use her quickness against other bigs. She could be Morgan Tuck 2.0. When she is dribbling 35 feet from the basket, she is no threat. The bigs just back off of her and the opposing guards hound her into turnovers. Morgan Tuck would handle the ball up top often, but seldom would she ever put the ball on the floor unless she was driving to the basket, handing off and screening for a teammate, or getting a better angle for a pass.

It sounds like another case of a big girl promised that she can play on the wing or as a guard. I hope she figures it out before she loses confidence.

Why the heck would she lose confidence? She's 3rd on her team in scoring (10.5 ppg) and 2nd in rebounding. Every Texas game I've seen thus far, she makes at least 3 plays that make me go "wow." She also makes some mistakes and not always the best decision, but my God, she's going to be more than okay. I just don't get all this doomsaying about other teams' talent.

Reaction Score
Aston is giving her a whole lot of freedom out there, pretty much the opposite of the way Geno would handle her.........one or two bad/selfish plays and she would be on the bench in Huskyland...............

Reaction Score
I will still take Crystal over Joyner.
Hope Joyner will not like DD in the next few years.

Reaction Score
I originally posted about Joyner because I am impressed by her potential. I like her abilities and I like the way GA coaches. I made the comment because I was just thinking out loud of the possibilities. Regarding DD from TN. I believe she lacks discipline and GA could've guided her. Actually my post had more to do with my opinion on Geno and his abilities.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Watching Holmes during the game some things became apparent to me. She's a highly talented, and athletic young woman, Ultimately she may be fine out there in Texas. During the game however she, #24 was matched up against UConn #24 Collier. Pheese ran her ragged end to end and in the half court, Holmes frequently lost sight of her. When Holmes would bump Pheese off of her spot on the block, Pheese would just run to another. By the time the 4th quarter came Holmes would often just walk to her spot on offense. I've spoken before about the poor conditioning I've seen in a lot of highly touted freshmen and sophomores including Jessica Shepard, Holmes, Ciera Johnson, Amber Ramirez, Chartice White, and lots more. D1 talents all with distorted ideas of what it takes to succeed at a D1 level. I repeat. For Rellah Boothe, she of the hurt feelings about prospect ratings. It will be a rude awakening when 1) She first walks into Frank Erwin Center or their practice court and sees the incredible talent in that gym. 2) She finds out she's 25 pounds overweight and out of condition, incapable of keeping up for even 15 mins. with her teammates. 3) When her playing time per game for the first year averages far less than her uniform number.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wow, I continue to be amazed.

Holmes is ONE MONTH into her freshman year. How good were Moriah & Tuck the first FOUR months of their frosh years?

Can you imagine Tuck taking it upon herself to chuck shots outside the flow of an offense, over-handle, and generally be given free reign in the last 10 minutes of close games? And during her first few games of her career?

Reaction Score
Can you imagine Tuck taking it upon herself to chuck shots outside the flow of an offense, over-handle, and generally be given free reign in the last 10 minutes of close games? And during her first few games of her career?

Aston apparently believes in a sink or swim philosophy when it comes to Holmes...........she's talented enough to swim but it still leads to bad habits which may stay with her for the rest of her career.........in UConn's case, tough love is tough but the results last forever..............

Reaction Score
Joyner seems like a player with immense upside and most probably will be a great player for UT. Like some others mentioned she does remind me of a bigger Charde H. Including the somewhat happy feet :)

Reaction Score
We got into our seats a little late, during the timeout that they gave Katie Lou the flagrant. (This was fortunate in that Mrs. Jeff hates the pressure of us being down). From that point on, though the Texas bigs were aggressive, I was most impressed by their guards. 10 and 20 seemed interchangeably quick and smart. Number 11 was very solid, and Holmes was really very good.
Since we felt very comfortable from the second quarter on, I was able to applaud a few very cool moves she made to the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom