Josh Carlton moves up 60 spots | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton moves up 60 spots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back way back we'd be pissed with anyone outside top 35 and now we're pumped we've landed a top 175 player

I should have a failing off the cliff gif but I don't

He's almost to the ranking for him to be a good player for us.

Sarcasm here fellas.

Reaction Score
Back way back we'd be pissed with anyone outside top 35 and now we're pumped we've landed a top 175 player

This statement is just not true. Lol. Jim Calhoun recruited and landed many players outside the top 35. Shabazz, Jeremy lamb, and Niels Giffey ring any bells to you...

Reaction Score
This statement is just not true. Lol. Jim Calhoun recruited and landed many players outside the top 35. Shabazz, Jeremy lamb, and Niels Giffey ring any bells to you...

That is true. But, to be honest, when I read "moves up 60 spots" I expected to see a jump from, like, 130 to 70.

Going from 240 to 169...are we really tripping over ourselves to be excited about a guy who's not a small distance outside the top 100?

Rankings don't mean everything, but there is a strong correlation between recruiting ranking and college success.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Yeah, JSM's view of history is 100% false.

Reaction Score
That is true. But, to be honest, when I read "moves up 60 spots" I expected to see a jump from, like, 130 to 70.

Going from 240 to 169...are we really tripping over ourselves to be excited about a guy who's not a small distance outside the top 100?

Rankings don't mean everything, but there is a strong correlation between recruiting ranking and college success.
Understood. But unless I mistaken the word on Carlton is he has improved tremendously and is expected to possibly be a top 100 recruit by the time it's all said and done. Not saying he's going to dominate from day one. But I think most rational posters here think he'll be a good 4 year big for us. @JSM1970 has this weird obsession with downing this kid. It's strange

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

A few years back we recruited a kid by the name of Kyle Kuzma, a PF who was ranked 180th on the 247 list. Lost him to Utah, and he had a nothing first year - 3.3 points, 1.8 rebounds in 8 MPG.

Last year he did 11/6 and this year he's putting up 15/10/3 with some early entry NBA Draft buzz. Imagine if we'd gotten him instead of having to settle for Lubin.

The point is: Once you get outside the top 40 or so, all of these guys take a ton of faith and patience and development, and in order to achieve some stability we'll have to have fringe 4-stars who develop over the course of 3 or 4 years as the foundation of the team. Ollie was perhaps a little slow learning this lesson and concentrated on one high-ranking guy (Abu) and, in the process, missed out on a pair of lower ranked PFs from 2014 (Kuzman & Colson) who are now better players. And we are now suffering as a result.

There is no guarantee, of course, that Carleton will develop as well as Kuzma or Colson, but every roster of ours from here on out should have 4-5 guys in that recruiting range, all steadily improving over the course of their respective careers.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was underwhelmed with him at first, but now he's putting up really nice stats on a very good team. The 60 spot jump might be the beginning of his rise. The people pretending he'll play serious min as a freshman need to calm down though.

Reaction Score
Understood. But unless I mistaken the word on Carlton is he has improved tremendously and is expected to possibly be a top 100 recruit by the time it's all said and done. Not saying he's going to dominate from day one. But I think most rational posters here think he'll be a good 4 year big for us. @JSM1970 has this weird obsession with downing this kid. It's strange

Lmao it's true. I can see his side of the argument, but at the end of the day every recruit isn't going to be a home run, top 50 player. The bottom line is that he is the lowest ranked player in our 2017 recruiting class, he had offers from a bunch of other high end programs, and his stock continues to rise. Mild excitement is warranted.

Reaction Score
I was underwhelmed with him at first, but now he's putting up really nice stats on a very good team. The 60 spot jump might be the beginning of his rise. The people pretending he'll play serious min as a freshman need to calm down though.
Someone has to play the 5.

Reaction Score
Someone has to play the 5.

I would be shocked if Enoch didn't start at the 5 next year, with Diarra or Durham sliding in if he still gets into foul trouble issues. He's our best option and he'll have to develop to fit the role we need him to play for us.

And if I were KO I would have Larrier working on his post game ASAP!

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Enoch didn't start at the 5 next year, with Diarra or Durham sliding in if he still gets into foul trouble issues. He's our best option and he'll have to develop to fit the role we need him to play for us.

And if I were KO I would have Larrier working on his post game ASAP!
Diarra is 6'7 and hasn't played a minute of college. Durham is no where near strong enough to play at the 5. Carlton is going to have to be primary back up as of now.

Reaction Score
Diarra is 6'7 and hasn't played a minute of college. Durham is no where near strong enough to play at the 5. Carlton is going to have to be primary back up as of now.

If he is ready. But if he's not (and I don't think he will be) then I'm sure Ollie would rather go small most of the time Enoch is out, if it means having competent players on the floor.

Reaction Score
JSM doesn't have a specific issue with Carlton.

He has an issue with every single thing on the planet.

He hates firefighters, old people and poor people from what he says on the Cesspool

Reaction Score

Yeah, I hated it when UConn landed Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Jake Voskuhl, Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Jerome Dyson, etc. That pissed me off.

Reaction Score
This kid is the next Tim Coles.

Well, he should be introduced to Tim Coles so that he can have some more fire in his belly.

Reaction Score
I don't, I like the kid and his potential, I'm just pointing out where the program is relatively as compared to the ones we used to like to compare ourselves to

Reaction Score
BG, Shabazz, Dyson all top 35, Voshukl, Lamb, Okafor top 60

Yeah, I hated it when UConn landed Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Jake Voskuhl, Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Jerome Dyson, etc. That pissed me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom