Josh Carlton C | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton C

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Where are you seeing Carlton ranked ahead of all of them. I have no problem with the staff recruiting him and he might be really good. There is just very little information out there on him other than he's ranked around 250.
ESPN have him as a 4-star and Rivals referred to him as a 4-star. 247 & scout haven't caught up yet, but I suspect they will.

Phil, Amida & Lucas were all 3-stars.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
ESPN have him as a 4-star and Rivals referred to him as a 4-star. 247 & scout haven't caught up yet, but I suspect they will.

Amida also had only one other DI offer, from La Salle. Carlton's list is around where Mamadou's was in terms of having a handful of P5s interested. Of course he's below the caliber of the top targets (Bamba, Richards) and the guys we were looking for as the next tier (Obiagu, Uyaelunmo). But he looks to be an upgrade over Brimah and Nolan coming in.

Reaction Score
Amen. Landen Lucas -- who kicked our @$$ in March -- was the 250th (or so) ranked player in his senior class. Amida, who's been one of the best defensive centers in the country for three years, was somewhere around there. Phil Nolan, who started in a national championship game that his team won, was around 130.

Carlton is generally rated higher than all of them. Good size, good hands, rebounds, blocks a few shots. I don't care if he comes in and sits for his entire freshman year -- he has the potential to provide adequate depth and cover of the type that allows Ollie to swing-and-miss on a bunch of 5-star targets without said misses proving to be fatal to the program.

Bear in mind that Enoch will be a junior and Durham a sophomore when this kid arrives, so it's not like he'll be filling a short-term need. He's a long-term play that gives the staff a ton of recruiting flexibility (good enough potential to develop, but not so good that he'd scare away any big recruits) down the road.

This is Ollie thinking as a GM/program manager and not just a coach.

This^^^^^

He has another full year to develop our staff was watching Nolan and AB late in their careers so the rankings can't be compared at this point. Also Emeka the same.

They see something and I'm all in if they choose to bring Mr Carlton to Storrs. As many said "great hands and rebounding prowess" already trumps AB and Phil.

Reaction Score

I don't understand the rankings at all. ESPN had Nolan as a 3 star but they graded him a 91. ESPN has Carlton as a 4 star but they graded him a 80. Makes no sense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't understand the rankings at all. ESPN had Nolan as a 3 star but they graded him a 91. ESPN has Carlton as a 4 star but they graded him a 80. Makes no sense.

I believe they changed their numerical rating system after 2012.

Reaction Score
I pay little attention to grades. Every year, they'll increase too. So a 2017 81 will be a 91 come next fall. It's a pointless-point system. The irony is the best part.

(Not aimed at you SJ) Also, for all we know Carlton is a late bloomer. The Hoopseen article on him was encouraging. He's listed as 6'10 in every current article now, too. He's got good size, and will likely play center in college. The 2017 class has a ridiculous lack of talent at that position. Uyaelunmo is a top 10 center and he's not even a first year impact player. Im going to trust KO if he's ready to let Carlton commit (which we don't even know is the case).

Reaction Score
If we were to miss out on Bamba and Richards, I'd like us to go after Deng Gak to go along with Uyealunmo

Reaction Score
Just a reminder / observation on 'fluid' in recruiting reporting. Earlier reports had specific dates for Carlton visits to East Carolina and Clemson. In the Zags article regarding his visit here, he says he has no other visits scheduled. Then lists Arizona State, Xavier, Michigan State, and USC as other possible visits with no mention of either ECU or Clemson. So there has been an upgrade in the basketball pedigree of interested schools which is a good sign.

I agree with previous posters that; 1) its nice to have big man depth that allows you to swing for the fences with big time talent, 2) nothing wrong with a big man that Ollie feels he can develop as long as we have current year quality.

I have no personal observations re Carlton and that actually gives me pause, because I watched Dematha 2x last year to watch DJ Harvey and never noticed a big on the court for Dematha to the point of being impressed that Dematha played well without any quality size. I have no idea if Carlton played in those games, but if he did, he made no impression.

I find it interesting that comments attributed to a couple other players seem to say "wow he's big" because he just doesn't look imposing in pictures, either in height, or muscular definition, or girth. Plus he looks a little baby faced and too friendly and affable to have that extra 'it' that he owns the paint on the court. I hope he is a pleasant surprise if he comes, at least he will have the advantage of very low expectations on this board.

Reaction Score
Bamba is still in play. Carton would fit in nicely as a Husky

Reaction Score
Bamba is still in play. Carton would fit in nicely as a Husky

So Richards is essentially out of the picture at this point? I thought we actually had a better chance with him for some reason.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So Richards is essentially out of the picture at this point? I thought we actually had a better chance with him for some reason.
Would be a shock if Richards didn't pick UK. Cal made him their No. 1 target and it appears to have worked.

Reaction Score
Bamba is the best bet for big time center but Richards is not out
As someone said in another thread, one of them will mostly likely go to UK, but not both, and Duke has a very crowded front court for the next couple years. We seem to be right there with Duke for Bamba, and not too far behind UK for Richards, I like our position, for now at least.

Reaction Score
Would be a shock if Richards didn't pick UK. Cal made him their No. 1 target and it appears to have worked.

Let's hope Duke's frontcourt stays crowded and that sends Bamba our way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom