2017 Recruiting: Josh Carlton C

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by 80shusky, Jun 7, 2016.

1. 80shusky

80shusky

We offered Josh Carlton today. A 6-9 center from DeMatha. I did a quick search and see his weight listed at 200 and 235. I'm guessing he is somewhere in the middle! Not much high major interest. Other offers are like K State, Penn State, ODU, St Joes.

Dove likes this.
  2. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

3. BearJWS

BearJWS

Tis the season for risers & fallers within the AAU season upon us. Ollie & staff are out in full force. I can see lots of offers over the next couple of months. Those playing well can certainly garner an offer from UConn. I'm not worried about our staff evaluating talented players. We just need to rope in a few of the talented ones! ;)

4. AstarIsBorn31

AstarIsBorn31 Underrated Poster

“As of right now, I think I am going to visit ECU on September 9, Clemson on September 18, and UConn on September 27,”

5. HuskyFich

HuskyFich

Is this the new Jeremy Lamb face? Nice picture dude

6. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

7. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

"While he doesn’t have much of a face-up jumper at this time, it was his unbelievable hands, touch, and rebounding prowess...."

Sounds good to me, great hands are so important for a big man and of course rebounding - like to hear this. Also in the article it said his visit to UConn was planned for the 27th of September, does the fact it's been moved way up tell us anything maybe?

Dove and Chin Diesel like this.
  8. kansashusky

kansashusky

Booooooooo

9. Huskyforlife

Huskyforlife Best poster

You just know this is the guy who were gonna settle for in this class.

Dove, UConnStats and Ricker like this.
  10. Hungryhusky99

Hungryhusky99

Didn't you say before you thought we were gonna get either bamba or Richards?

11. selles

selles

Right back at you.

kansashusky likes this.
  12. superjohn

superjohn

Yes he did.

13. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Maybe they know they aren't in good shape with either. It's a game right?

14. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

15. kansashusky

kansashusky

This is option E, and that is no hyperbole. Killings was in good position with him at Temple, trying to transfer that momentum to us.

Stealing recruits from ECU. Woof. Unfortunately this is the writing on the wall with Richards and Bamba, Uyaelunmo etc.

16. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

I am sure Killings understands the transition to UConn, and KO needs to approve so the kid has some potential and I'm good with that. He is listed as PF so not necessarily the final big guy either if indeed anything came from the visit.

17. Huskyforlife

Huskyforlife Best poster

Yes and I still think we do. That's just the pessimist in me talking.

18. aceboon

aceboon

You can still get Carlton and another C, you need depth. I have no idea how good he is but are ya'll expecting 5 stars at the end of the bench?

Huskyforlife, James and Matrim55 like this.
  19. KemBuckets21

KemBuckets21

Duke is stacked at the 4/5 right now: Giles, Jeter, DeLaurier, Bolden, Obi and Jefferson. Jefferson will be gone. Giles is all but a lock to be a one and done. But there are still 4 pretty studly bigs on duke's roster. Bamba is probably better than all of them, but that could be a deterrent to him.

Just trying to be optimistic as I think Richards looks like more of a stretch at this point.

B1GEast and Huskyforlife like this.
  20. walker11

walker11

You said a couple weeks ago that you think we get one of Bamba or Richards. And you said the other day that UK has led on Richard's for months. You really are that confident on Bamba?

Huskyforlife likes this.
  21. kcc1442

kcc1442

My thought was it was always supposed to be this weekend August 27th and the report was a typo. September 27th is a Tuesday during the school year. So to answer question, no I don't think it implies or tells us anything.

Ricker and mauconnfan like this.
  22. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

I don't think we get either of Bamba or Richards and think we should have a backup like Obiagu, this kid seems a tier too low. 6'9" and heavy doesn't seem like it fills a need like height and shot blocking.

23. Matrim55

Matrim55

Amen. Landen Lucas -- who kicked our @$$ in March -- was the 250th (or so) ranked player in his senior class. Amida, who's been one of the best defensive centers in the country for three years, was somewhere around there. Phil Nolan, who started in a national championship game that his team won, was around 130.

Carlton is generally rated higher than all of them. Good size, good hands, rebounds, blocks a few shots. I don't care if he comes in and sits for his entire freshman year -- he has the potential to provide adequate depth and cover of the type that allows Ollie to swing-and-miss on a bunch of 5-star targets without said misses proving to be fatal to the program.

Bear in mind that Enoch will be a junior and Durham a sophomore when this kid arrives, so it's not like he'll be filling a short-term need. He's a long-term play that gives the staff a ton of recruiting flexibility (good enough potential to develop, but not so good that he'd scare away any big recruits) down the road.

This is Ollie thinking as a GM/program manager and not just a coach.

Steve85, Huskies4ever, Dove and 7 others like this.
  24. 80shusky

80shusky

Agree 100% with this. Carlton could play 4 or 5 too I would think. We still have 5 spots open. He doesn't preclude us from getting a top tier center as well.

Ricker likes this.
  25. superjohn

superjohn

Where are you seeing Carlton ranked ahead of all of them. I have no problem with the staff recruiting him and he might be really good. There is just very little information out there on him other than he's ranked around 250. I remember Phil being ranked right at 100 and despite starting a National title game he played to his level coming out of high school. Love the guy but he didn't play above his ranking, Emeka would have been a better example.

Ricker likes this.
  26. Matrim55

Matrim55

ESPN have him as a 4-star and Rivals referred to him as a 4-star. 247 & scout haven't caught up yet, but I suspect they will.

Phil, Amida & Lucas were all 3-stars.

27. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

Amida also had only one other DI offer, from La Salle. Carlton's list is around where Mamadou's was in terms of having a handful of P5s interested. Of course he's below the caliber of the top targets (Bamba, Richards) and the guys we were looking for as the next tier (Obiagu, Uyaelunmo). But he looks to be an upgrade over Brimah and Nolan coming in.

mauconnfan likes this.
  28. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

This^^^^^

He has another full year to develop our staff was watching Nolan and AB late in their careers so the rankings can't be compared at this point. Also Emeka the same.

They see something and I'm all in if they choose to bring Mr Carlton to Storrs. As many said "great hands and rebounding prowess" already trumps AB and Phil.

29. superjohn

superjohn

I don't understand the rankings at all. ESPN had Nolan as a 3 star but they graded him a 91. ESPN has Carlton as a 4 star but they graded him a 80. Makes no sense.

30. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

I believe they changed their numerical rating system after 2012.

Chin Diesel likes this.