Josh Carlton (C) commits to UConn! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton (C) commits to UConn!

Reaction Score
When UConn gets commitments like this it just confirms that a good deal of you pay no attention to any other teams but UConn. For the guys poo pooing this verbal, y'all do realize even the "blue blood" programs have 3 star guys on the bench, right? You are not filling out a roster 1-13 with guys all in the top 75-100.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Carlton had a lot of great offers, his list was elite. That's one of the major things I look at for recruits I have no frighin clue about, what staffs have put stock in?

Good group to beat out, especially MD, Cinci, and PC. One an Under Armour flagship, the other a conference rival, and the last...because.

On Josh, I'm really excited to have a space eater. Thinking of all the string beans we've had for a number of years now. No idea how good he'll be, but it will be nice to have a beast down low.

Reaction Score
'Underrated passer' for a center is honestly something I was happy to read. I've felt like our center spot has been a black hole with Brimah and others down there. Meaning, when the pass went in, it was never kicked out... rather, there was always isolation followed by an (often ugly) shot. If we have a C who can REALLY pass and create an inside-out game, it will help out our guards.

Kid seems to have picked up a few rather decent offers of late. In KO I trust... I bet this kid will be a late riser and a nice long-term piece down low, which we BADLY needed. For 2017 and beyond, we only had Enoch/Diarra, and they're better suited at PF.

I'm just happy that this guy will be able to catch passes thrown into him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Center is a need, but you're a little over zealous in calling the class a failure if we don't get one ranked higher. If I'm not mistaken, Emeka would have had a relatively similar ranking / grade.

Your not wrong, but Emeka is like a once in a (multi)decade kind of guy. In terms of ranking to final product.

Reaction Score
i wasn't poo pooing the verbal , just asterisking it. but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Also, this idea about development. Shabazz, Deandre Daniels, Boatright, and I'm sure others, these kids developed an enormous amount under Kevin Ollie. Night and day, They were not nearly the same players as they became after 2 years under HC Ollie. When we say kids haven't developed, are we looking at Brimah only and making that assumption? Even Giffey developed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Also, this idea about development. Shabazz, Deandre Daniels, Boatright, and I'm sure others, these kids developed an enormous amount under Kevin Ollie. Night and day, They were not nearly the same players as they became after 2 years under HC Ollie. When we say kids haven't developed, are we looking at Brimah only and making that assumption? Even Giffey developed.

Or from another angle. Not every guy's ceiling is as high as we irrationally hope think coming in.

Reaction Score
And even Brimah has developed!!! Lol he was never supposed to be a domimany big man. He's exceeded all expectations. He's 6'10 string bean who's won conference DPOY And a national championship(which we don't win without him). Knocking Ollie for not turning Brimah into an NBA lotto pick is extremely unfair

Reaction Score
Pardon the hyperbole, the class would be better suited with a legit 4/5 star big. One who could step in and start
How many times have we gotten legit bigs even under Calhoun? I can probably count that one one hand and many times that legit big has disappointed us like AD. I thought he was fine but most thought he was going to step in and lead us to a national championship that year no matter the distractions on the team. Uconn builds their best teams through great players at the 1-3 and a versatile 4 and solid 5. When we did have great bigs in early 2000's most of them were fringe top 100 like JC.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Johnnie Time 2.0!!!

Welcome aboard.
The fact that somebody used "passing" as a quality characteristic of Carlton's game should immediately disqualify any and all Selvie comparisons. I'm not sure he attempted a single pass in his time at Storrs.

Reaction Score
Your not wrong, but Emeka is like a once in a (multi)decade kind of guy. In terms of ranking to final product.

Yeah, Emeka is our All-Time Best Center, and he certainly exceeded expectations beyond anyone's wildest dreams - although it didn't take long into his freshman year for us to realize how vastly underrated he was. But, you know what I'm saying - to paraphrase a Calhoun quote, "with freshmen, you really don't know what you've got until they're practicing on your team."
Ray Allen was ranked 35th - which certainly wouldn't project as a future NBA HOFer. And in high school Felipe Lopez made the cover of SI way back when, and didn't live up to his billing.
Basically, apart from a handful of guys, or the clear can't misses, I don't put too much stock in any rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom