Jordan Bowden | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jordan Bowden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wrenn may have been the most athletic player we have had here. Ridiculous hops and he was pretty skilled too. It's too bad he could not get out of his own way.
Agreed, but it took me about 1 game of watching Caron to get past losing Wrenn. I was in love with Caron's game almost immediately.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Wrenn may have been the most athletic player we have had here. Ridiculous hops and he was pretty skilled too. It's too bad he could not get out of his own way.
The most athletic player we've ever had was, is and probably always will be Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
The most athletic player we've ever had was, is and probably always will be Scott Burrell.
I think we've high jacked the thread, but whatever. Rudy Gay has a claim. I think it's fair to say Rudy caught the highest alley-oops. Sometimes I thought Marcus Williams was increasing the pass height inch by inch throughout a game. Trying to determine how high he could put it. Almost like a scientist.

Reaction Score
I have looked and haven't been able to find the interview with Purvis from last summer/early fall where he made comments to the effect of grooming Adams this year so that he leaves the program in good hands for the following year. The interview left the impression that there was no doubt that Purvis was leaving after this season. The interview was in the context of the Hartford summer league or a link in one of our threads about Purvis and Drummond recruiting. In any event I can't find it. The upshot however, is that we need 1-2 additional guards for next year. Definitely 2 if 2-3 of Cassell, Purvis, and Hamilton were to leave. Even if 1 more guard could do the job, you need a second in case of injury. Diallo has given every indication he is not reclassifying, (and maybe academically he doesn't have the choice), there was some speculation Ashton-Langford could reclassify, I had reported last winter that Waters father told me he would complete his academics this spring but we don't seem going in that direction, and maybe a 5th year transfer is on our radar post season, but, a 2016 recruit with some size at the off guard position sounds like a promising development.

Reaction Score
I have looked and haven't been able to find the interview with Purvis from last summer/early fall where he made comments to the effect of grooming Adams this year so that he leaves the program in good hands for the following year. The interview left the impression that there was no doubt that Purvis was leaving after this season. The interview was in the context of the Hartford summer league or a link in one of our threads about Purvis and Drummond recruiting. In any event I can't find it. The upshot however, is that we need 1-2 additional guards for next year. Definitely 2 if 2-3 of Cassell, Purvis, and Hamilton were to leave. Even if 1 more guard could do the job, you need a second in case of injury. Diallo has given every indication he is not reclassifying, (and maybe academically he doesn't have the choice), there was some speculation Ashton-Langford could reclassify, I had reported last winter that Waters father told me he would complete his academics this spring but we don't seem going in that direction, and maybe a 5th year transfer is on our radar post season, but, a 2016 recruit with some size at the off guard position sounds like a promising development.

I copied them from a thread during the late summer, they come from a Courant article in which Amore talked about Purvis being the program's goodwill ambassador:

Purvis has stayed on campus throughout the spring, staying on top of class work. As a redshirt junior, he has two years eligibility left, but his goal is to graduate next spring.

"The main thing is just leaving a mark," Purvis said. "I probably won't be here to play with those [younger recruits], but, hey, I just want to leave a mark. I want to be that type of UConn guy that's talked about when the coaches talk about their guys. I just want to be the guy who is good in the community, good around the campus. I'm going to try to leave the things that I took from 'Bazz and from Kevin Ollie and leave them on Jalen, and then Jalen will be the next guy in line. Just trying to use all my gifts, I guess."

Reaction Score
Thank you aceboon. The Boneyard comes through in minutes. That is exactly what I recalled and it still seems to me from those comments that any thoughts about Purvis being on the roster next year are a long shot. FYI I just checked the Cushing Academy schedule to see if I could watch 'Kai' play in person. Their online roster lists him as 2016 and lists his nickname as Kai!! Could he have already reclassified? I don't know how that works.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If Purvis leaves, I'd much prefer a grad transfer like Trey Lewis to any other freshman or reclassified recruit. We're going to need a shooter who can score right away.

Reaction Score

Ahh, forgot about Burrell. It's almost impossible to argue with Scott's athletic feats. But I will say that Wrenn was a better leaper. JC agreed, too...

STORRS — UConn coach Jim Calhoun and Tim Tolokan, the school's associate director of athletics and communications, engaged in a conversation about freshman Doug Wrenn after Midnight Madness early Saturday.

Both agreed they had not seen a UConn player with better elevation than the 6-foot-7 wing from Seattle. Not even close.

pixel.gif

Now let's see. Tolokan is entering his 20th year at UConn; Calhoun, his 14th. And some leapers have passed through -- Cliff Robinson, Kirk King, Donny Marshall, Ray Allen, Scott Burrell, to name a few

http://articles.courant.com/1999-10-21/sports/9910210159_1_coach-calhoun-midnight-madness-dunk

Reaction Score
Have we offered or is it just interest at this point?
No offer - just interest. But it was first time KO watched him I believe. Assistants liked him enough for KO to go watch him. We'll find out soon whether or not KO liked what he saw if Bowden gets an offer.

Reaction Score
No offer - just interest. But it was first time KO watched him I believe. Assistants liked him enough for KO to go watch him. We'll find out soon whether or not KO liked what he saw if Bowden gets an offer.
Cool, thanks! One more guard definitely wouldn't be a bad idea

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
It'll be awesome if we offer him & don't get him, and then the Boneyard decides that Ollie can't recruit because he's lazy. Again.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I know this isn't the subject of this thread but would someone enlighten me on where they think Purvis would be next year. It seems to me that many on the BY are fairly certain he is gone. Would he graduate and go to another school to get more minutes? Declare for the draft? I could see SC Jr. leaving for more minutes but not to a D1 school because he is 23 years old and wouldn't want to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
I know this isn't the subject of this thread but would someone enlighten me on where they think Purvis would be next year. It seems to me that many on the BY are fairly certain he is gone. Would he graduate and go to another school to get more minutes? Declare for the draft? I could see SC Jr. leaving for more minutes but not to a D1 school because he is 23 years old and wouldn't want to sit out a year.
I think the general consensus is playing professionally at a level below the NBA.

Reaction Score
He will graduate and make money playing in Europe.

Reaction Score
Just as long as this doesn't turn into the next travis trice or darius smith...they were supposedly knockdown 3 pt shooters too
Would have loved to have Travis Trice at UConn......JAMAAL Trice on the other hand, not so much

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Would be surprised if he doesn't pick Tennessee. He's from Knoxville and finally got the offer he wanted. Final 4 is Tennessee, Cincinnati, Marquette and Utah, decision at 8:15 tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom