John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish | Page 3 | The Boneyard

John Marinatto resigns as Big East Commish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the league just officially blew up imho.

-b12 got a new commish and lville is now packing the moving van
-bball schools see uconn and then a bunch of ok schools. thats not enough to stick around, especially after what the a10 just did. a split is coming and the bball schools want there own commish. they know that if they split they can get uconn to semi join the league for bball or as a ooc partner for alot of games anyway. they don't care about the other fball schools.

or the
-acc gets torn up and the fball side loses uconn/ruty and maybe others to the acc. they must know its happening and are mad at marinate for it as the last straw.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I posted on the Conference Realignment Board, that it might not hint at a split, the Cinci guy could be seen as a compromise. Someone who's name rarely comes up during expansion rumors, who would be more motivated to maintain the Big East as stands, but who's school plays football

what ever school takes over for something asap after it happens is usally the one thats got a moved planned in secret.

guess the rumors from last night about cincy/lville both the the b12 are true.

Reaction Score
Hold on a second, let's not run rampant with unfounded rumor!! LOL.

Marinatto is the reason that the Big East as a football playing conference exists. There isn't a single institution in this Big East in 2012, that doesn't know it and understand it, and isn't thankful and respectful of Marinatto and the job he's done in 3 years as the head guy - as well as the job he's done for decades before.

Aside from letting TCU go without much of a fight, and then actually - you know - trusting his constituents to stick to their affirmations in meetings in 2010-2011, Marinatto has done nothing but good for this league.

Tranghese wanted to eject big east football from the league, in 2003, and in 1993, and most likely everywhere in between and right up to 2009, and was working actively on the dissolution of the league in 2003, while Marinatto salvaged the conference behind the scenes. That's truth.

Marinatto also has a lot of baggage, to bring to the tables in September, mainly that ESPN and the Big East, have an intimate history that dates back to 1979, and he's been right there pretty much all along in it from the earliest meager existences of both entities.

SPN, no longer has people in place that have a personal attachment to what both ESPN and the Big East have accomplished in the 30+ years since.

The Big East - must simply do the same with our own leadersh that will sit in the negotiation rooms opening up in September.

Curious to see who it will be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Providence, Seton, Hall, DePaul...
trump-fired.png

CL82

Reaction Score
The most likely scenarios:

1. The membership -- including both hoops and pigskin -- wanted a change in leadership.

2. A split is coming and M didn't want to be a part of it.

3. The Big East, in the new BCS arrangement, will be on the CUSA level and not the ACC level, and the other conferences gave M time to resign before announcing it.

So yeah -- it could be a good thing and the kick in the nuts may be coming. We'll have to wait and see.

I hadn't thought about option 2. It makes sense as a possiblity. I discount #3 as I think that our former commissioner would have been in his comfort zone with that change.

CL82

Reaction Score
what ever school takes over for something asap after it happens is usally the one thats got a moved planned in secret.

guess the rumors from last night about cincy/lville both the the b12 are true.
"Michael, remember whoever brings you the deal is a traitor."

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Well, ESPN has his resignation running under it's 'NCAA Basketball' headlines, so there's that.

This is part of the reason why he had to go...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
From the stuff I got from this article it seems like the hoops schools pushed for this.

Thanks guys! You finally brought something to the conference!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If someone wants to use this photo and photoshop in the schools, feel free:

tumblr_lrjv5qR9Tx1qamjjso1_400.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Marinatto was pushing for a hike in the exit fee. He couldn't get enough schools to bite. It's reasonable to infer that he knows his creation is not going to be permanent without a bigger exit fee and guarantee of rights, and that the presidents are not committed so when they asked him to step aside he was ready to oblige.

Reaction Score
zls44 said:
Thanks guys! You finally brought something to the conference!

Too little too late though

Reaction Score
A split of the conference BL? really? at this point in time? That would be something. I suppose anything really is possible moving forward. Cutting loose the parochial basketball school presence in the Washington, D.C to NYC corridor and disrupting the property that is the big east basketball tourney in MSG isn't a great idea for the big east when it comes to TV talks, I think. We just can't have people at the table that the other side, can have any possibility of beginning negotiations with overvalueing that and devaluing football.

Marinatto, for 3 years, has done nothing but put football as priority #1 for the big east, but even still, if he sits down at that table, simply by his presence there, the other side is still going to start with the intent that the big east is a basketball league, and by dangling out basketball on the hook for the bite.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much weight into the idea that the hoops schools pushed him out. They were probably the only reason he was around, so when the hoops schools turned on him of course he was gone. I doubt the football schools wanted him to stick around.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much weight into the idea that the hoops schools pushed him out. They were probably the only reason he was around, so when the hoops schools turned on him of course he was gone. I doubt the football schools wanted him to stick around.

This does bring up an interesting (and troubling) question. With all of the differences that the conference members have, and the difficulty associated with keeping them all happy........What truly qualified candidate would even want that job?

I mean Marinatto essentially compromised and tried to please both sides with Memphis.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
A split of the conference BL? really? at this point in time? That would be something. I suppose anything really is possible moving forward. Cutting loose the parochial basketball school presence in the Washington, D.C to NYC corridor and disrupting the property that is the big east basketball tourney in MSG isn't a great idea for the big east when it comes to TV talks, I think. We just can't have people at the table that the other side, can have any possibility of beginning negotiations with overvalueing that and devaluing football.

Marinatto, for 3 years, has done nothing but put football as priority #1 for the big east, but even still, if he sits down at that table, simply by his presence there, the other side is still going to start with the intent that the big east is a basketball league, and by dangling out basketball on the hook for the bite.

if he put football #1 for the past 3 years cuse/pitt/wvu would not have left. tcu would have tho possibly still for something.

if football was #1 for the past 3 years he would have added temple/ist/kan/kst and who ever else whent he b12 was falling apart. he would have got us to 12 fball schools with the tv contract ready to go and all would have been well. then were looking at the best bball league and a 12 to 16 fball school league with wvu just coming off a a rape of clemson in a bcs game and more brand name schools now here. the BE could have been 4th of the big 5. the b12 would have died and the acc would have to scratch its ass some more.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
if he put football #1 for the past 3 years cuse/pitt/wvu would not have left. tcu would have tho possibly still for something.

if football was #1 for the past 3 years he would have added temple/ist/kan/kst and who ever else whent he b12 was falling apart. he would have got us to 12 fball schools with the tv contract ready to go and all would have been well. then were looking at the best bball league and a 12 to 16 fball school league with wvu just coming off a a rape of clemson in a bcs game and more brand name schools now here. the BE could have been 4th of the big 5. the b12 would have died and the acc would have to scratch its ass some more.
Kind of along the same lines... I want someone to come in who isn't afraid to be ruthless. Kill or be killed. And I'm tired of the BE getting killed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i mean the guy blew a great opp to do something for fball.
f the bball schools i would split form them asap for something like this. but he couldn't get it done back then and bye bye did cuse/pitt/wvu.

uconn/ruty/temple/cuse/pitt/usf/ucf/ecu
cincy/lville/memphis/baylor/tcu/kan/kst/ist

Reaction Score

You are falling into the same level of understanding trap that too many fall into. Marinatto, by design, as a conference commissioner had to balance what he felt was most important for the league with what the membership wanted, he can't simply do whatever he wants to do.

Every single move he's made for the conference, has been about football, rather than basketball. Yes, Syracuse and Pitt, left - blaming that on Marinatto's actions? Misguided. Syracuse wanted out the league in 2003, so badly - that the AD at the time, stated, on record, that he would voluntarily gave up his post at Syracuse, if the big east went forward with the Depaul, Marquette expansion plans - and he did....those plans were guided by the basketball schools. Argue all you want that the moves were not strong enough, and the way TCU was handled, I'd agree - but the fact that everything Marinatto has done has been about football over basketball, is truth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Marinatto didn't quit on his own volition, of course. Where is he ever going to get such a big job again? But reading here that it was the BB schools pushing the change is bad news for UConn.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Marinatto didn't quit on his own volition, of course. Where is he ever going to get such a big job again? But reading here that it was the BB schools pushing the change is bad news for UConn.

Exactly, this is the basketball schools banding together for one final fight. This is not going to end well!

CL82

Reaction Score

I'm not so sure. As has been noted above, the BB schools were his power base. When they left him it was over. It's not like the football schools wanted him but the BB schools forced them to get rid of him.

I think BL's suggestion that this is a precurser to a split in the league makes sense, if for no other reason than that the BB onlies and the football guys are unlikely to agree on the right points of emphasis moving forward. Without a shared vision, they are unlikely to agree on a new commissioner. Maybe the next contract becomes two contracts, all sports and bb onlies. Two separate leagues with a scheduling agreement for basketball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Why does SDSU give a rat's ass about the DC to NYC corridor? Or Boise, Houston or SMU? I've been saying for months that there is no way this Frankenstein's monster of a conference can stay afloat. The hoops schools know it and probably want to cut their losses. They can keep the name and MSG, bring in some additional schools or merge with the A1o. There is no way that PC, St. Johns, SHU and Georgetown want to (or can afford to) travel to Memphis, Houston and Dallas. Florida was bad enough.

If Louisville doesn't move on to the Big 12, they and Cincy can form an all-sports conference with Memphis, CFU and SFU and our western members. I thought this was even more likely once the MWC-Conf USA merger fell through. If the ACC loses two, and takes UConn and Rutgers, this begins to make perfect sense. Add one more, maybe Nevada, and this is a plausible 10 team all sports conference: SFU, CFU, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Boise St, SDSU, Houston, SMU. Temple is probably left in the cold. If Louisville and Cincy can bail as well, the Florida schools are looking at CUSA, along with Memphis, and Boise, SDSU, Houston and SMU join the new, re-formed Mountain West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom