John A's first chat of the season | The Boneyard

John A's first chat of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In a few hours. Bruin, I'm sure, will say hello.

Take good notes; I'll be sleeping 6 time zones to the west.

Go Huskies!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In a few hours. Bruin, I'm sure, will say hello.

Take good notes; I'll be sleeping 6 time zones to the west.

Go Huskies!

Goodness, Milford! Have you taken up residence there in Maui..?

:cool:

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I'm in...and Milford - how about passing your old job down to me? I could use time in Hawaii ;0)

Reaction Score
Lets hear it for Milhusk !
Our Man in Maui.

Some folks just have it made eh !

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, guys. Two weeks in my timeshare (even-year ownership), plus a bonus six days in a nice hotel. Life is indeed good. :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Did anyone else catch JA saying that he thought the starting 5 would be Hartley, Faris, KML, Dolson and Stewart? Not Doty??

He would know before me clearly but I find it hard not starting Doty!!!

Opinions?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else catch JA saying that he thought the starting 5 would be Hartley, Faris, KML, Dolson and Stewart? Not Doty??

Opinions?
I agree. Geno is loyal. Doty starts. Think of Pam Weber. Not sure how many minutes she gets but as a 5th year senior she will start.

Reaction Score
I think Doty will start at the beginning of the season, but against top opponents she may have a reserve role.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
JA seems very high on Breanna. I think GA starts Caroline.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Breanna starting has been JA's contention. He made the same statement in his "10 things" column as well. Not sure if it's based on any particular insight/inside info or just that Stewart is supposed to be the next great one (which I don't believe even Sales was despite being a great player and a high school national #1).

Reaction Score
Maya didn't start until someone got hurt in her first year. It's not who starts but who finishes in a close game that matters, anyway.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Opinions?
I would have no problem with that starting 5. But realizing how Geno has worked for many years, I think he will start Doty. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us??

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would have no problem with that starting 5. But realizing how Geno has worked for many years, I think he will start Doty. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us??
He likes being unpredictable and may be "punishing" for thinking we know him.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart will be one of the truly great ones by the time her UCONN playing days are over !
Do you keep Caroline's experience, toughness, and leadership on the bench. I believe Caroline gets the starting nod. Breanna gets a lot of minutes too. In fact, I wonder how many times will we see them on the floor together this season.

Reaction Score

Opinions?

He also thought that someone in Dolson's class would redshirt.

If Ralph and Taurasi and Moore didn't start, I don't see Stewart replacing a fifth year senior who's started in every game she's played (with the exception on one Senior Night).

Reaction Score
What if Geno starts both Doty and Stewart and keeps Kaleena as the sixth man? Does anyone else think this is a possibility?

I think the only sure-thing starters are Bria, Kelly, and Stef. I think Doty gets the start out of loyalty and in the past he has said that he likes her to start because she is already warmed up. That leaves one open spot. It's tough to keep the 4 guard lineup when you have the depth Geno will have in the post and he always likes it when the sixth man is a spark plug. What are the odds he decides to keep KML as that spark and has Stewart start to keep some balance.

Just throwing out another possibility. Personally, I think the lineup will be Bria, Kelly, KML, Caroline, and Stef, with all three freshmen coming off the bench. But, I think Geno is going to keep an open mind this season.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
What if Geno starts both Doty and Stewart and keeps Kaleena as the sixth man? Does anyone else think this is a possibility?

I think the only sure-thing starters are Bria, Kelly, and Stef. I think Doty gets the start out of loyalty and in the past he has said that he likes her to start because she is already warmed up. That leaves one open spot. It's tough to keep the 4 guard lineup when you have the depth Geno will have in the post and he always likes it when the sixth man is a spark plug. What are the odds he decides to keep KML as that spark and has Stewart start to keep some balance.

Just throwing out another possibility. Personally, I think the lineup will be Bria, Kelly, KML, Caroline, and Stef, with all three freshmen coming off the bench. But, I think Geno is going to keep an open mind this season.

If Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson come off the bench all together --- UConn's opponents will not be getting any rest.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
If Stokes, Banks, Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson come off the bench all together --- UConn's opponents will not be getting any rest.

THIS is quite a team!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If healthy, Bria, Kelly, and Stef are the most likely to start, IMHO.

I think Caroline starts.

KML or Breanna comes off the bench.

Yep, a 98-rated HS NPOY comes off the bench. As Geno said about Maya, chances are that the other team doesn't have a bench player who can match up with our 6th man. Um, there may be 5 players nationwide who can possibly match up.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He also thought that someone in Dolson's class would redshirt.

If Ralph and Taurasi and Moore didn't start, I don't see Stewart replacing a fifth year senior who's started in every game she's played (with the exception on one Senior Night).
Not really analogous situations. Shea as a freshman, national high school #1 though she may have been, was not as hyped, experienced, or versatile as Breanna. D was a freshman on an incredibly deep team that had just won a national championship the year before. And no one has any way of knowing how the 2007-08 season would have played out if Kalana and Mel had stayed healthy. My contention is that Maya would have started eventually anyway, and it would have been stupid for her not to.

I would be surprised if the Game 1 starting rotation wasn't Doty, Bria, Kelly, KML, and Stef. I also wouldn't be surprised if that changed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
With a little seasoning the bench is the #5/6 starting team in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom