John A.: Lessons learned from UConn's win | The Boneyard

John A.: Lessons learned from UConn's win

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
2). There was a point in the first half when UC Davis was staying close with their own three-point shooting. Then Auriemma made a defensive change, subbing freshman Kia Nurse for Saniya Chong. And things suddenly shifted with UConn getting started on a 39-0 run. You can tell by looking at Auriemma that he senses greatness within Nurse.

LINK

Reaction Score
It may just be that 5th starter is determined by defense more than offense.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
2). There was a point in the first half when UC Davis was staying close with their own three-point shooting. Then Auriemma made a defensive change, subbing freshman Kia Nurse for Saniya Chong. And things suddenly shifted with UConn getting started on a 39-0 run. You can tell by looking at Auriemma that he senses greatness within Nurse.

LINK
It looked like Saniya was late closing out on the shooter, but it was interesting to watch a backcourt of Saniya and Kia.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
thanks, Pap. Saw some of her defense last night and to concur with several pundits, she.is.a.pest on defense.

Also liked some of what I saw of Sadie...I think once she gets some of her freshman stuff out of the way she may be a remarkable player

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sometimes when the discussion turns to the freshmen and how they will be good once they have some time to come up to speed and get used to things, etc., I get visions of Bria out there with no life preserver from Day 1, battling it out with the likes of Baylor. Wasn't that something! She was a lion for us, really. So few frosh have that kind of mental toughness, tenacity and grit right out of the box.

This is by no means a slight on Edwards or anyone else. It's the normal way of things that freshmen need time. Just a compliment to Hartley.

Although they're different kinds of players, I think Nurse would have been able to handle the same situation. But it's very rare.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno didn't learn this, but the fresmen with the possible exception of Kia learned, that its much tougher to play in college then in High School, regardless of the opponent. UC Davis played UConn just about even over the last 7 minutes of the game when most of the freshmen were playing. Significant drop off in offensive execution and team defense. Not complaining just an observation that backs up what Geno has always said, Freshmen have a lot to learn.

Reaction Score
I was trying to think who Nurse reminded me of. I'm thinking Kelly Faris with a really good offensive game.

Reaction Score
Loved Nurse's play throughout. She just looks so polished out there, not a freshman at all. On another note, was disappointed with the post play. Both Kiah and Morgan missed several chippies. In the first half, Morgan in particular looked like she was having a hard time catching the ball. Kiah's defense is still her strong suit and she seems more willing to move to the basket, but she really needs to make those easy ones. If unrepaired, this will hurt UConn when they go up against a team with a strong and tall defensive presence in the middle.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't learn this, but the fresmen with the possible exception of Kia learned, that its much tougher to play in college then in High School, regardless of the opponent. UC Davis played UConn just about even over the last 7 minutes of the game when most of the freshmen were playing. Significant drop off in offensive execution and team defense. Not complaining just an observation that backs up what Geno has always said, Freshmen have a lot to learn.
As usual, Geno takes his foot off the gas when the freshmen and walkons go in. I'm actually surprised they went over 100, as he almost always stays below that out of respect for the opponents. When you have 80 with 10+ minutes to go that isn't easy.

Reaction Score
I liked the way Chong responded. She was taken out and talked to. When she got back in she played better. Did not seem to overthink or get down on herself as in the past. Great to see!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sometimes when the discussion turns to the freshmen and how they will be good once they have some time to come up to speed and get used to things, etc., I get visions of Bria out there with no life preserver from Day 1, battling it out with the likes of Baylor. Wasn't that something! She was a lion for us, really. So few frosh have that kind of mental toughness, tenacity and grit right out of the box.

This is by no means a slight on Edwards or anyone else. It's the normal way of things that freshmen need time. Just a compliment to Hartley.

Although they're different kinds of players, I think Nurse would have been able to handle the same situation. But it's very rare.
Well said! Bria's greatest assets were aggressiveness, confidence, and mental toughness. She became "Big Game Bria" only 2 games into her career. I think Kia Nurse has similar attributes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of more things learned:

--Kaleena is healthy, focused, and determined to have a great final season at UConn. We already knew she is a world-class shooter.

--The players previously known as Baby Jesus and Baby Husky play very well together. They are nearly impossible to guard in a 5-on-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom