Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Key points of the interview:

1. Edsall is working on his staff. Will be flying to CT tomorrow but will split time between Lions/UConn.
2. Edsall said relationship with Benedict goes back to when Benedict was hired at UConn. After he was hired, DB reached out to Edsall to get a feel for what he did to be successful here. Two hit it off almost immediately.
3. Edsall has complete support of his former players - many of whom are in the NFL and make a point to go over and talk to him before games on the field. Said he is a like a "proud parent".

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That's not saying much. Anyone here expressing anything but unequivocal love has been immediately attacked by a gang of deplorables. Who needs that hassle? I haven't met one non-BY fan that has expressed anything but WTF.

That would be because they don't understand the circumstances of the change. Non BY followers don't understand the significance of the buyout and how difficult it probably was to secure the funding. If there was no concerns about the buyout, I think more boneyarders would have more questions about this move. But...making this change was complicated and I think most on here think this is the best move considering the circumstances that DB was operating under.

The casual fan doesn't get the complexity and looks at this at face value....therefore the WTF.

I am sure I will get a few WTFs at work tomorrow before I explain the circumstances.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks UConn bombed on any sort of presentation is absolutely nuts. The presentation, which was released to the public about 2 minutes after the official "no expansion" announcement was made by Bowlsby, was spot-on and very professional. Unfortunately for us, no presentation in the world can mask a 3-9 football team that never scores touchdowns.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is the first and last time I read someone using the Dude of WV as a source. The UCONN presentation to the Big 12 was awesome. The ass hats had no intention of expanding and everyone got used.

Reaction Score
This is the first and last time I read someone using the Dude of WV as a source. The UCONN presentation to the Big 12 was awesome. The ass hats had no intention of expanding and everyone got used.
It's JSM1970 ... what do you expect. Nothing more than 1 A s s hat believing another A s s hat.

Reaction Score
ha wtf did you find this? cruising the 2009 archives??? lol

Edsall talked about seeing and talking to him when Detroit played @ MetLife Stadium a few weeks back during the interview. Couldn't remember what position he played.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Edsall talked about seeing and talking to him when Detroit played @ MetLife Stadium a few weeks back during the interview. Couldn't remember what position he played.
ahhhhh gotcha

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks UConn bombed on any sort of presentation is absolutely nuts. The presentation, which was released to the public about 2 minutes after the official "no expansion" announcement was made by Bowlsby, was spot-on and very professional. Unfortunately for us, no presentation in the world can mask a 3-9 football team that never scores touchdowns.
Well sure, but if UConn was 9-3 the Big XII was going to stay at 10. The whole thing was a shakedown for TV.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well sure, but if UConn was 9-3 the Big XII was going to stay at 10. The whole thing was a shakedown for TV.
Absolutely. And most likely UT and OK are headed somewhere else in 2025. It seems a little crazy given the culture clash, but tv/media money may force the PAC12 to take the best of the Big12 at some point. The PAC 12 media package may need the oomph of another time zone.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Joe D is away so the imbecile is going to play. Tweets out that he is coming out firing @UConnfootball and fan expectations. Glad I am not listening.

Reaction Score
Joe D is away so the imbecile is going to play. Tweets out that he is coming out firing @UConnfootball and fan expectations. Glad I am not listening.

Slow sports week - he has to talk about something. Looking for "help" to understand the expectations for UConn Big 3 sports (Football/MBBBasketball/WBB).

Reaction Score
IMO, not only a shakedown for TV.
1) It also provided a HUGE smokescreen for the Baylor / Art Briles fiasco.
2)Allowed the BIG 12 to view information about each school, including Houston, to further survey the landscape
without having to do their own homework. It was done for them by each school presenting and putting their best case forward
as to how to better the BIG 12.

Reaction Score
Gresh is looking for fans to call in to discuss their expectations of the football program.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure on how it plays out but many analysts (not sports media guys) are starting to think ESPN and the others badly over paid for the various leagues. In effect they canablize each other. And fans mostly watch "their" team, others not so much except the real name brands. It doesn't matter how much you dress it up. Illinois-Purdue or Virginia-Wake are not drawing huge numbers outside home areas and Ohio State only plays Michigan once a year. Try your darndest you ain't making OSU-Rutgers or Michigan-Maryland more than an afterthought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom