Joe Williams one more time!!!! | The Boneyard

Joe Williams one more time!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been waiting for comformation on this site like forever! I've been reading a lot of these post that have been put on the website, you all have a lot of great coments on the thread, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in concerning the RB situation, It truly makes no sense why LM is the only RB (I understand what he did last year, however that was last year.) I have been searching the web and I came across this link, it"s Joe Williams last year when he was at Fork Union military academy.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/802909/#highlights/2366916

Reaction Score
And you wonder why WV gets so many running backs and Uconn can't get even one. How about they see "you either start or get no chance to play". Now that might be how most schools have QB's but no school does that with running backs. Silas Redd shares carries. Ingram shared carries. Not Uconn, they have 3.7 yards per carry back who gets 122 carries vs. next highest RB with 10. If I was a RB I'd sure be conscious of that, if I was a team recruiting against Uconn I'd point that out all the time. Uconn is 109th in team rushing with 112 ypg; 13 PLAYERS rush for more than that per game; one of those we will see on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Joe Williams just one time would be good.
And this is based on what exactly? Maybe if Joe doesn't play this year he'll transfer to Fordam and become the backup there like your pick who "should have played" last year...

Reaction Score
I am from Pa, I've seen him play at Emmaus High School, that would be totally awesome if he could get some run this season, HCPP is wasting his talent by having him on special teams, he could really be a plus if this coach would only realize, but from that article that I read about coach Clayton White it ain't happening!

Reaction Score
And this is based on what exactly? Maybe if Joe doesn't play this year he'll transfer to Fordam and become the backup there like your pick who "should have played" last year...

It is based on giving kids a chance in games. Something quite common on other college football teams.

And I find your comment that giving virtually no snaps to Nebrich because JMac was playing so well to be genius. If genius equals a 5-7 record.

After all, look at the one touch that Hyppolite got in the Buffalo game. Were you against getting him any snaps too?

Reaction Score
pal,

My point, really, is that while I completely agree that coaches make mistakes, fans have far less data and second guessing a coach for not playing a true freshman is usually pretty silly. You really don't seem to understand this, but running over a or away form a 16 year old, 200 pound high school DT is quite different from doing it to a 300 pound 22 year old who is incredibly athletic on top of it. Just like throwing the football against a 16 year old d-back isn't the same as doing it against a BCS level corner. It takes time to get up to the speed and power of the college game.

For what its worth, I think Nebrich will be fine at Fordam. Probably take over next year when the current guy graduates (I think he's a senior) and he'll be primarily a running quarterback. I suspect Joe Williams will get his carries next season, too. True freshman running backs aren't as rare as true freshman quartertbacks but they aren' that common either. As far as Hyppolite goes, that was a great run. Glad to see it. But let's not make him out to be the second coming of Red Grange...he had 6 rushes for 61 yards. Subtract the 50 yarder and that's 5 for 11 or 2.2 ypc for the rest of his rushing. If he does something like it again this week, that would be great and it would be nice to have a solid dependable 1-2 punch. I think he is getting a chance to make that happen. But I suspect that even if he does emerge as a dependable and effective backup, you'll still be claiming that Williams is better...based on your usual nothing...

Reaction Score
pal,

My point, really, is that while I completely agree that coaches make mistakes, fans have far less data and second guessing a coach for not playing a true freshman is usually pretty silly. You really don't seem to understand this, but running over a or away form a 16 year old, 200 pound high school DT is quite different from doing it to a 300 pound 22 year old who is incredibly athletic on top of it. Just like throwing the football against a 16 year old d-back isn't the same as doing it against a BCS level corner. It takes time to get up to the speed and power of the college game.

For what its worth, I think Nebrich will be fine at Fordam. Probably take over next year when the current guy graduates (I think he's a senior) and he'll be primarily a running quarterback. I suspect Joe Williams will get his carries next season, too. True freshman running backs aren't as rare as true freshman quartertbacks but they aren' that common either. As far as Hyppolite goes, that was a great run. Glad to see it. But let's not make him out to be the second coming of Red Grange...he had 6 rushes for 61 yards. Subtract the 50 yarder and that's 5 for 11 or 2.2 ypc for the rest of his rushing. If he does something like it again this week, that would be great and it would be nice to have a solid dependable 1-2 punch. I think he is getting a chance to make that happen. But I suspect that even if he does emerge as a dependable and effective backup, you'll still be claiming that Williams is better...based on your usual nothing...

Williams prepped so he is a true freshman in name only.

Forget the second coming. Our starter has a long run of about 15 yards in the first five games.

Reaction Score
Williams prepped so he is a true freshman in name only.

Forget the second coming. Our starter has a long run of about 15 yards in the first five games.

And is averaging 3.7 yards per carry. And that's including all his long runs.

Reaction Score
pal,

I think the point that is trying to be made here is that McCombs is just getting too many carries and since you've already burnt the redshirt on him why not give him some carries to spell Lyle.

Reaction Score
I don't oppose giving McCombs some rest. But it looks like that job will fall to Hyppolite at least in the short term. He had 6 carries Saturday and it seems like the coach liked what he saw. He's listed as the #2, presumably for some reason, either because Pasqualoni likes ticking off palatine or just maybe because he is more ready at this point, I don't know which.

Reaction Score
I only care that whoever the 2nd RB is be productive. But there needs to be 2 backs. It's not in anyone's best interests (including McCombs) to have LM run the rock 30 times a game. Compounding that stupidity is that most of his runs are between the tackles on plays I can remember learning in Pop Warner. 54 Right Cross Block on 2......

Reaction Score
I don't oppose giving McCombs some rest. But it looks like that job will fall to Hyppolite at least in the short term. He had 6 carries Saturday and it seems like the coach liked what he saw. He's listed as the #2, presumably for some reason, either because Pasqualoni likes ticking off palatine or just maybe because he is more ready at this point, I don't know which.

Hey, I would love to see DeLorenzo get some burn. He looked great in limited action. Williams, Hyppolite, DeLorenzo, give 'em all a shot. What has McCombs done to earm 27 carries a game?

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
. As far as Hyppolite goes, that was a great run. Glad to see it. But let's not make him out to be the second coming of Red Grange...he had 6 rushes for 61 yards. Subtract the 50 yarder and that's 5 for 11 or 2.2 ypc for the rest of his rushing.
McCombs without longest run.

UMass- 22 for 60, 2.7 ypc
NC State- 19 for 45, 2.4 ypc
Maryland- 26 for 79, 3.0 ypc
WMU- 22 for 91, 4.1 ypc
Buffalo- 28 for 85, 3.0 ypc

Not much of a difference. I'd imagine Hyppolite could do a similar job given the same volume of carries.

Reaction Score
McCombs was given to much hype for what ever reason last year... McCombs never breaks tackles the only reason he had over a thousand yards last year was because the offensive line gave him opportunities. Sure the o-line were never perfect, but they did and do give McCombs wholes to run through. Now the problem is that McCombs falls after first contact 99% of the time, so why do people look at McCombs as if he's Reggie Bush? I would like to see Joe williams play the kid has a frame of 5'11 over 200 lbs and has 4.4 speed let him try to make things happen... by no means am I saying he's Reggie Bush, but I know he can break tackles and earn more yards than McCombs

Reaction Score
You guys remember your grandparents who kept their antena on the roof and refused to get cable?

PP & GDL.......just sayin'

Reaction Score
You guys remember your grandparents who kept their antena on the roof and refused to get cable?

PP & GDL.......just sayin'

Heck - with the increasing cost of cable, people are trying to go back to antennae on the roof! It's cheaper!

Reaction Score
McCombs was given to much hype for what ever reason last year... McCombs never breaks tackles the only reason he had over a thousand yards last year was because the offensive line gave him opportunities. Sure the o-line were never perfect, but they did and do give McCombs wholes to run through. Now the problem is that McCombs falls after first contact 99% of the time, so why do people look at McCombs as if he's Reggie Bush? I would like to see Joe williams play the kid has a frame of 5'11 over 200 lbs and has 4.4 speed let him try to make things happen... by no means am I saying he's Reggie Bush, but I know he can break tackles and earn more yards than McCombs

McCombs was a freshman All American. And rewatch some games. McCombs breaks tackles.

How do you know Williams can break more tackles. That is an honest question. No one here has seen him get a carry in a game.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
McCombs was a freshman All American. And rewatch some games. McCombs breaks tackles.

How do you know Williams can break more tackles. That is an honest question. No one here has seen him get a carry in a game.

I agree. The idea that McCombs doesn't have any wiggle is kind of silly, and unfortunately, has taken on a life of its own in the Boneyard. If people re-watch the Husky Power Hours from SNY (I have them all still recorded), they can analyze the video and see that he's slipping tackles. How do they think he's still gaining around 4 yards per carry when everyone on the field knows when and where he's running?!? :confused:

Reaction Score

Okay he was a freshman All American last year... what has he done this year? Everyone here see's McCombs production doesn't equal to last year... even Dez says McCombs isn't playing like him since day 1... Heck we give Hyppolite a carry and he takes it 50 yards! So your telling me a RB that weighs 205 lbs with 4.4 speed can't break more tackles than a RB that is 5'7 166 lbs and runs a 4.5 speed? And he does not break tackles... he slips away from arm tackles 1% of the time!

Reaction Score
I agree. The idea that McCombs doesn't have any wiggle is kind of silly, and unfortunately, has taken on a life of its own in the Boneyard. If people re-watch the Husky Power Hours from SNY (I have them all still recorded), they can analyze the video and see that he's slipping tackles. How do they think he's still gaining around 4 yards per carry when everyone on the field knows when and where he's running?!? :confused:

Once McCombs get's touched he's on the floor dude 99% of the time the tackles you say he slips away from NOT break is the 1%... Fact is he doesn't break tackles! Great RB's break tackles and fight for there yards when the O-Line doesn't open lanes for them... They break tackles and make things happen McCombs doesn't do that, he has a whole he hits then 3 to 4 yards down the field he get's tackled at first contact... that's how he get's his 3 to 4 yards average.

Guys I like McCombs, but he's not a RB that should be running up the gut at 166 lbs, he won't do much there even if he was a freshman All American last year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Once McCombs get's touched he's on the floor dude 99% of the time the tackles you say he slips away from NOT break is the 1%... Fact is he doesn't break tackles! Great RB's break tackles and fight for there yards when the O-Line doesn't open lanes for them... They break tackles and make things happen McCombs doesn't do that, he has a whole he hits then 3 to 4 yards down the field he get's tackled at first contact... that's how he get's his 3 to 4 yards average.

Guys I like McCombs, but he's not a RB that should be running up the gut at 166 lbs, he won't do much there even if he was a freshman All American last year.

He doesn't slip tackles, and yet everyone in college football (including everyone in the Boneyard) knows that he's getting the ball up the middle on first down! So how is it that a running back whose running play has literally been announced to the world still gets about 4 yards on the carry?!? So you are either saying that the O-Line is actually opening up holes for him (which will be believed by nobody), or everyone on the defensive side of the ball that we've played against is a friggin' bonehead.

Bottom line; go back and watch the film if you have them available (or if SNY re-broadcasts them)...you might be surprised with what you see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom