Joe Moorhead rumors (and others) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead rumors (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was driving to an assignment and first heard this news on Pittsburgh's FAN station. It was the only college sports news reported in updates today - and it was included in every update.

Of course the only reason for mentioning this in Pittsburgh is, "Various reports link Penn State's Joe Moorhead to replace Diaco." Which was also mentioned in every segment.

I guess it's a good day, so far.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So who could it be besides Moorhead?

T.J. Weist - Still OC at USF, who put up HUGE numbers this year. Was passed over for the HC job in favor of Charlie Strong
P.J. Fleck - One of the hotter small-school coaching names out there after turning Western Michigan around. Have to think he's waiting for a B1G job tho
Randy Edsall - We all have to admit that 1) it might be Burton who wrote a check to get rid of Diaco, and 2) that could mean Randy's return
Greg Schiano - Can recruit & win in the northeast, currently AHC for Ohio State
Al Golden - Was good at Temple but a disaster at Miami. Currently TE coach for the Lions

Any other names I'm forgetting?

No retreads. No to Weist or Edsall. Fleck would be good and he is also coaching on January 2, just like Moorhead.

But let's not discount a reach to the NFL. Jim Schwartz is the DC of the Eagles. Former HC with the Lions. NFL guys have been successful lately moving to college.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
For those who are unfamiliar with or forgot Joe's history with UConn:

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Football

"Joe Moorhead, a 1996 graduate of Fordham University, is in his third year as the quarterbacks coach at UConn in 2011. Moorhead served as the offensvie coordinator at UConn in 2009 and '10 the seasons after serving in the same role at the University of Akron for the previous two seasons.

UConn finished the 2009 season as the third most productive offense in the BIG EAST under Moorhead's guidance and was second in scoring. In 2010, Connecticut was second in the BIG EAST Conference in scoring offense and rushing offense."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. I think he has his eye on a different job in New England, but I dare not speak their name on this board.

P5 Job?

There are about a half dozen great coaching names that were expected to proceed into one of those jobs in the last month - Fleck, Schiano, Miles, Kiffin, Brown, Golden - and we just found out how hard that is.

UConn and the AAC just got the ultimate pat on the back in the last 24 months: these are high-paying great jobs and Moorhead knows this state.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Do they have any connection other than having been at UConn at different times? I'd rather see a HC make their own hire of someone with something other than UConn on the OC's resume.

No, they dont have any connection. That is just my suggestion, but I agree. I just don't have the same disdain for a defensive minded coach that many here do. I think a young DC like Orlando, that has worked with high powered OCs, would want to bring that with them. Orlando will be a HC soon, one way or another.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Pat Forde throwing some shade:

Reaction Score
Edsall burned every bridge to go fail someplace else. No shot.
Whole new administration. Wouldn't be my first choice, but you can't discount what he did here. I know McHugh is here, but perhaps he should fall back.

Reaction Score
Im hearing Moorhead took himself out of consideration

Reaction Score
P5 Job?

There are about a half dozen great coaching names that were expected to proceed into one of those jobs in the last month - Fleck, Schiano, Miles, Kiffin, Brown, Golden - and we just found out how hard that is.

UConn and the AAC just got the ultimate pat on the back in the last 24 months: these are high-paying great jobs and Moorhead knows this state.

I have no idea how accurate they are, but certain people have commented that he would be interested in the BC job should it come open. Pay may not be as important as fit. He has it pretty good right now at PSU, and will be up for a nice raise after the season. Personally I think his agent is floating his name to ensure a nice upgrade from Old State. If PSU can duplicate their efforts next year, Joe will have multiple options to weigh. We don't expect to have him that long although we'd sure like to.

Reaction Score
These Pat Forde characters are voracious pieces of crap. Mostly, they just want to prove they are big shots. Insiders. Hanging with Pitino or Petrino Calipari.

But ... the art of the deal for David Benedict probably started two weeks ago. Moorhead or the target already knows what the deal is. There is no wa Benedict got to today without massive prep for the change and the money. This is not going to be a search ... its a rifle shot not a shotgun.

Reaction Score
Thinking outside of the box: Moorhead is great & would be my choice. BUT, UConn needs to make a splash after the debacle that is the post-Edsall era. It is necessary to hire an eye-opener for recruiting purposes, for future realignment purposes, & in general, just to let the rest of FBS know that UConn is serious about relevancy in football. The Old Ball Coach is languishing in retirement, Benedict has SEC ties, & this hire would make headlines all the way to American Samoa. Just sayin'.

Tough to get a splash when the pool has been drained after 2 big fat belly flops. I agree Moorhead is a great choice.

Reaction Score
If Joe won't come here, I am perfectly fine with TJ. Pair TJ with a great DC, we are off running. The only question is can TJ recruit?

Reaction Score
Not being a , just curious, but are you hearing this from someone, or did you read the Forde tweet?
Friend works at Penn State and they have a strong belief that he will stay

Reaction Score
Forde probably just asked somebody at Penn State and got the same info

Reaction Score
Friend works at Penn State and they have a strong belief that he will stay

Gotcha. I'm sure they are unbiased. Firing Diaco this late in the game makes it extremely probably that DB already has a deal in place IMO. I hope its JM, we will see.

Reaction Score
Unless you're Lane Kiffin, that's what you say to your fellow employees while you're working with them.
True that is what is being said around campus right now, but like BD getting fired surprises do happen so fingers crossed

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think there is any connection with Benedict and Moorhead. This hire is huge for Benedict...he needs to get someone he is comfortable with. I had mentioned Auburn OC Lashlee as a possibility a couple months ago. Up and comer with obvious Benedict ties.

Not sure it's a good fit...but I would be surprised if the hire didn't have a connection to Benedict in a previous life.

Reaction Score
Diaco devalued this job big time. I wouldn't be surprised if Moorhead took his name out of the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom