Joe D has Benedict on right now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joe D has Benedict on right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
adjective, stupider, stupidest.
lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish;senseless:
a stupid question.
tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane;pointless:
a stupid party.
annoying or irritating; troublesome:
Turn off that stupid radio.
5. Athlete94

Reaction Score
My gut is Benedict said what he said about wanting to give another year as much because he doesn't want to establish the precedent here that UConn cycles t sohrough coaches quickly with no patience. Of course BD was a special case and needed to go, but firing a coach after <2.5 years and then 3 years isn't generally a good precedent and Benedict knows this. Thus he makes the comment to cover himself a bit from criticism that UConn has no patience with coaches.
I agree DB is (trying to) making sure UConn does not get a bad rep for quick hooks. Having said that, between us fans, I am not sure we want another coach who sees it necessary he must have 3 years to turn things around. Times have changed and we have seen a few quick turnarounds. Not expecting Houston type results, or Memphis a year ago. But god forbid another coach comes in and views his first year as a "throw away" year. Privately, I want the new coach to hold himself to a higher standard. Wishful thinking, but why not?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Really don't like the Edsall talk, did we really forget how he abandoned the team in Arizona after the Fiesta Bowl?
What about the forgiveness and redemption angle? There could be something there. He could have a new found appreciation for what he had here and f-d up both personally and with the program and want to restore the program. I'd be thrilled with 9-3 and 8-4 seasons.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We may have the stupidest fan base in America.

From the Courant comments:

"Benedict made a bad move. Bob Diaco is an excellent Football coach. The teams performance in 2016 was more due to a lack of ability on behalf of the playoers than Diaco coaching. Benedict will pay with many more losing seasons as a result of bringing in a new coach to coach the uncoachable. This is not Alabama or Ohio State football. The big biy football player just dont come to Uconn to play football."

Reaction Score

"Benedict made a bad move. Bob Diaco is an excellent Football coach. The teams performance in 2016 was more due to a lack of ability on behalf of the playoers than Diaco coaching. Benedict will pay with many more losing seasons as a result of bringing in a new coach to coach the uncoachable. This is not Alabama or Ohio State football. The big biy football player just dont come to Uconn to play football."

Looks like Bob's wife had a few minutes to write in. :D

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

One of the first comments on the ESPN article was a supposed UConn fan stating no one could win here because of the awful facilities. Jeebus.

Reaction Score
I'm not a tweeter but perhaps you should ask for her recommendation on how hey should've handled it. We've all expressed appreciation for how he went about his business It's just that he was overmatched and the plug had to be pulled

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Or Mrs Golic:

christine golic ‏@NDmom 1h1 hour ago
The way UConn is handling the firing of Diaco is why it will always be a second class program.
They were both (the Golics) cheerleading his hiring then sent their kid to Cincy for his 5th year. I hope that crappy show gets canceled and Mike and Mike have to work for a living.

Reaction Score
They were both (the Golics) cheerleading his hiring then sent their kid to Cincy for his 5th year. I hope that crappy show gets canceled and Mike and Mike have to work for a living.

Her tweet is out of line and ESPN should fire her husband or muffle his wife. Yes there is free speach but can my wife tweet something disrespectful about the company I work for, with no im[lications for me.

Kick her out of the state!

Reaction Score
Or Mrs Golic:

The way UConn is handling the firing of Diaco is why it will always be a second class program.

Does she mean because it was the day after Christmas, or done by phone (since BD was out of town) or...just because it was done?! UConn and Dave B have been very professional in their approach to this situation. DB made no public comments or innuendo even. He's on record now as stating that he was giving BD the chance to continue next season, but apparently BD talked himself out of that opportunity. It looks like the facts don't matter when it involves someone from your college "family".

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Does she mean because it was the day after Christmas, or done by phone (since BD was out of town) or...just because it was done?! UConn and Dave B have been very professional in their approach to this situation. DB made no public comments or innuendo even. He's on record now as stating that he was giving BD the chance to continue next season, but apparently BD talked himself out of that opportunity. It looks like the facts don't matter when it involves someone from your college "family".
Everyone can see what a first class program Brian Kelly has over there.

Reaction Score

Sounds like they're friends and I doubt she's much of a UConn fan or has any idea that they were floating Bob as a candidate for other jobs because he was so loyal to UConn as long as we would renegociate for bigger dollar$. Couldn't care less about our dismal offense or empty seats.

Reaction Score
Her tweet is out of line and ESPN should fire her husband or muffle his wife. Yes there is free speach but can my wife tweet something disrespectful about the company I work for, with no im[lications for me.

Kick her out of the state!
But Golic doesn't work for UCONN so your logic is flawed

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I see him in town (Simsbury) infrequently. I'll pass along the message.
I've seen him around too. Much taller than you would think.

I just recall that UConn was the only program to offer his kids before Charlie Weist burned a couple of scholarships on them. Then seeing Mike and wifey attending our spring game a few years ago when the younger one was looking for a place to land after never seeing the field at ND.

Reaction Score
I see him in town (Simsbury) infrequently. I'll pass along the message.

Please do never a fan. He was at a UConn hoops game at Hartford with one of his kids once people were saying hi as well as approaching to talk, he wasn't all the nice about it. And I was a fan of ND growing up and his, not anymore. I'm sure he's a great family man and that's a good thing, but nothing else going on there.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Or Mrs Golic:

And anybody should listen to or care what she has to say.....why? How about this one, Ms. Golic:

Second Class Program 1, Notre Lame 0 - all time football series record.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the Golics are friends with the Diacos.

Ding. Her and the son were loving the Diaco hire 3 years ago on the twittersphere. Bob coached one of the kids and I'm sure they got to know him well. Bob does seem like a terrific guy so can imagine why she is disappointed. Doesn't mean you should be a head coach for being a nice guy, though.

BTW, F Mike and Mike. Again, probably good guys but they are the corniest duo in the nation. Its a weird look for a sports talk show to have soccer moms as the target audience. I love them being mercilessly mocked on the Pardon My Take podcast.

Reaction Score
Ding. Her and the son were loving the Diaco hire 3 years ago on the twittersphere. Bob coached one of the kids and I'm sure they got to know him well. Bob does seem like a terrific guy so can imagine why she is disappointed. Doesn't mean you should be a head coach for being a nice guy, though.

BTW, F Mike and Mike. Again, probably good guys but they are the corniest duo in the nation. I love them being mercilessly mocked on the Pardon My Take podcast.

Mike and Mike don't even like each other. I forgot they existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom