JK vs MLS | The Boneyard

JK vs MLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...t-always-have-to-see-eye-to-eye-on-everything

Interesting turn of events today. What I wonder though is if having Dempsey and Bradley riding the pine in one of the "top flight" leagues is better then having them play every game. From what JK says, it sounds like it isn't. Bradley wasn't playing at Roma and Dempsey was losing PT at Spurs. Not sure why JK has such an issue with his players looking for PT instead of getting sporadic playing time in tougher leagues.

Reaction Score
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...t-always-have-to-see-eye-to-eye-on-everything

Interesting turn of events today. What I wonder though is if having Dempsey and Bradley riding the pine in one of the "top flight" leagues is better then having them play every game. From what JK says, it sounds like it isn't. Bradley wasn't playing at Roma and Dempsey was losing PT at Spurs. Not sure why JK has such an issue with his players looking for PT instead of getting sporadic playing time in tougher leagues.

The issue isn't being framed correctly. He is saying that MLS isn't the best place for a certain caliber of player. If MLS hadn't opened the purse strings a little those guys would still be in Europe, it's really that simple.

He's saying that these guys won't maintain the same form playing in what is basically still a developmental league. Who is going to push these guys at Seattle and Toronto? The other issue is that these guys need to sign for clubs in Europe where they are realistically going to have a meaningful role. Or not go to clubs that are so bad that they become invisible. This was why Besler had no desire to play for Stoke City and Zusi had no desire to play for some newly relegated Portuguese club.

Garber really looks weak and overly sensitive here. I watch a lot of MLS, I think it's entertaining and has made some major leaps and bounds in the past three to four years. But if Bradley and Dempsey were subs for Roma and Tottenham and they are two of the biggest studs in our league then what do you think the true level of play is in MLS?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can one agree with JK and say, Bradley? I understand why Bradley did what he did. It was his chance at a big payday. But his move to MLS coincided with his worst stretch of play in years. That's what JK is referring to. There will continue to be a disconnect between MLS and the national team until MLS reaches a higher level competitively. It seems like a paradox unique to the USMNT and MLS. Guys like Bradley are more valuable to MLS than any other league due to their national team participation, yet their MLS participation seems to hurt (or at least not enhance) their USMNT performance.

Reaction Score
Can one agree with JK and say, Bradley? I understand why Bradley did what he did. It was his chance at a big payday. But his move to MLS coincided with his worst stretch of play in years. That's what JK is referring to. There will continue to be a disconnect between MLS and the national team until MLS reaches a higher level competitively. It seems like a paradox unique to the USMNT and MLS. Guys like Bradley are more valuable to MLS than any other league due to their national team participation, yet their MLS participation seems to hurt (or at least not enhance) their USMNT performance.

Pretty good observation on Bradley. Not many people recall that Bradley was playing below his regular beast mode even before the World Cup.

Pretty surprised at the shockwaves that this is generating on twitter and in the media today. ESPN had a poll with about 70% siding with JK.

This all kind of circles back to the Donovan omission. MLS has always used the USMNT as a marketing platform. Every four years the nation is captivated by the team and it's a their best and most successful means of making inroads with the mainstream. JK left their guy at home and they are still pissed.

Meanwhile there is some pretty ridiculous revisionist history going on. There are people out there who actually think JK is no better than Bradley. Bradley had Clint and Landon in their primes and he got through by the skin of his teeth against vastly inferior competition.

It's pretty obvious that JK wants a nucleus of players that are UEFA Champions League caliber. The two best outfield players he has walked away from that. I can't blame him for have lingering butthurt over that. Plus, it's the start of the new cycle and he has to ratchet up the pressure.

Either way, we need the good Michael Bradley back. Getting the hell away from that quagmire in Toronto, a place that hasn't EVER even made the playoffs despite the fact that they spend money like drunken sailors would be a good start.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The question the is, how does MLS not become a "developmental type league" as you called it Zoo? I know your a big MLS guy and have been watching it a lot and not bashing it but if all our top flight players leave and play overseas how does MLS get better?

I'm not saying Bradley is top flight right now because his play has fallen off but you get my point (I hope). Dempsey is like the rest of the players MLS gets, on the back end of their career and wanting one last payday.

The question becomes how does MLS get to the upper levels so that it's possible to develop home grown talent and push them, while also keeping them in MLS? It's a serious issue the league faces and probably the biggest reason Garber lashed out like he did. He's trying to push MLS to new levels but having your national coach bash it, even if it's true, is not helping his leagues image.

Reaction Score
The USMNT needs its cream skimmed from the top of MLS and shipped to Europe, but continue to get the milk below become higher and higher quality. MLS does not need to keep the best, they need to produce more at that level. At that point, not everyone can go abroad so some really good players will stay home. The league still has no depth.

Reaction Score
The question the is, how does MLS not become a "developmental type league" as you called it Zoo? I know your a big MLS guy and have been watching it a lot and not bashing it but if all our top flight players leave and play overseas how does MLS get better?

I'm not saying Bradley is top flight right now because his play has fallen off but you get my point (I hope). Dempsey is like the rest of the players MLS gets, on the back end of their career and wanting one last payday.

The question becomes how does MLS get to the upper levels so that it's possible to develop home grown talent and push them, while also keeping them in MLS? It's a serious issue the league faces and probably the biggest reason Garber lashed out like he did. He's trying to push MLS to new levels but having your national coach bash it, even if it's true, is not helping his leagues image.

Increase the salary cap substantially. Increase the roster size to improve depth, increase the number of designated players allowed per team from 3 to 5. Let teams sign and buy who they can sign and buy and get rid of the single entity structure.

Each team has 4-6 damn good players who could probably play anywhere, and then the drop off is steep. That needs to be evened out.

Reaction Score

It's about practice not only games. You practice against the best in the world every day. Julian Green did not play for Bayern Munich but man he looked good scoring that goal. Say what you want. Worth it to ride the pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom