Jimmy Bennett Medical RS? | The Boneyard

Jimmy Bennett Medical RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
noeynox mentioned in another thread about Bennett getting a 6th year. does anyone know the rules about whether he'd qualify? it seems to me he's only actually played a small handful of games for us.

Reaction Score
To get a 6th year, you have to after your fifth year, you have to have had two years which were lost to injury under circumstances where you were eligible for a medical redshirt that season. Which means not playing after the 3rd (may be 2d or 4th) game of that year due to injury.

If Bennett were not to play this year, I believe he was eligible for a medical redshirt in either '09 or '10 (eligible -- he took a normal redshirt his freshman yeart) and should be eligible to apply for a sixth year. But if he plays this year, he's done.

Reaction Score
If Bennett plays this year (hopefully) he will have played three years out of five. One year of which was a medical issue. Are you positive he couldn't apply for an extra year? That would give him four playing years in six years.

Reaction Score
If Bennett plays this year (hopefully) he will have played three years out of five. One year of which was a medical issue. Are you positive he couldn't apply for an extra year? That would give him four playing years in six years.

P -- my understanding is that you don't get a 6th year if you redshirt as a true frosh w/out injury, and then lose a full season to injury later on. You need to be out two years with injuries.

If someone wants to look that up and prove me wrong, have at it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You can apply for a waiver on the four years in five rule under almost any circumstances, getting that waiver granted is a different story. The NCAA has normally been very generous when the play in question has lost both years to injuries but quite strict when one of the seasons is lost by a non-injury redshirt. I would be very surprised if Bennett gets a waiver as his true freshman year was not lost due to injury.

Reaction Score
Jimmy if he wants to will be able to get another year in all likelyhood. BL your explanation was correct but after he redshirted his freshman year he has lost 2 seasons to injury. what would of been his redshirt frosh year( injured in camp) and last year played in less than the number of games before getting hurt.
I would guess if he gets through this coming year healthy and productive he will apply for a 6th year. It should be noted Jimmy is a SCHOLAR athlete as he's been on Big East All Academic team every year(3.0+) and will get his degree this year I believe.

Reaction Score
Jimmy if he wants to will be able to get another year in all likelyhood. BL your explanation was correct but after he redshirted his freshman year he has lost 2 seasons to injury. what would of been his redshirt frosh year( injured in camp) and last year played in less than the number of games before getting hurt.
I would guess if he gets through this coming year healthy and productive he will apply for a 6th year. It should be noted Jimmy is a SCHOLAR athlete as he's been on Big East All Academic team every year(3.0+) and will get his degree this year I believe.

I am fairly certain he played too far into last season for it to be a medical redshirt. But I'm too lazy to look it up.

Reaction Score
BL, according to the Spring Prospectus Bennett played in 4 games last season:

OFFENSIVE TACKLES
11 GP/CP
Jimmy Bennett RSr. 4/8
Stephen Brown RJr. 2/2
Kevin Friend RJr. 12/18
Dalton Gifford RFr. 0/0
Xavier Hemingway RFr. 0/0
Adam Masters RSr. 12/30

Reaction Score
BL, according to the Spring Prospectus Bennett played in 4 games last season: