Jim Fuller: Geno reacts to new contract | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno reacts to new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Auriemma is now the state's highest paid employee, something no other women's basketball coach can say. He credits that partly to having a young men's basketball coach as well as the championship culture at UConn.

LINK

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Why would Geno retire at 64 from a position in which he obviously has such a marvelous time?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why would Geno retire at 64 from a position in which he obviously has such a marvelous time?
Especially with so many great young adults to keep him young.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, but we gotta get in a different conference....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Family? Grandchildren? Travel? Maybe more time to relax a little and live la dolce vita, without worrying about the recruiting trail? Etc.

Sure he might extend again but GA is not so married to this job that he doesn't know there are other enjoyable aspects of life that at some point will deserve his full attention. He won't be one of those guys that wakes up one day and says, "I stayed too long."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a given that Geno won't stay beyond the termination of the new contract extension. He may be energized by a new conference if, as expected, there's more realignment that involves UConn. He may be energized by new players (e.g., Katie Lou Samuelson, 2015).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Auriemma is now the state's highest paid employee.

It is inevitable that some will resent a coach (especially a women's basketball coach) becoming the highest paid state employee in Connecticut. A similar situation arose back in the late 1920's, when many were outraged that Babe Ruth's contract called for a higher level of compensation than for then-President Herbert Hoover.

Ruth was asked: "How can you possibly justify your getting paid more than the President of the United States?"

The Babe smiled and explained the disparity in compensation between him and Hoover: "I had a better year."

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I really doubt that he is the state's highest-paid employee. I'm willing to bet there are corporate CEOs making more than him, probably a lot more. He is the state's highest-paid state employee. Quite a difference, but, of course, that's what the writer meant, anyway, if only he could get the words out.

Reaction Score
Tomcat:
[Sorry, but I really doubt that he is the state's highest-paid employee]
[He is the state's highest-paid state employee]
Is there a question in there???

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I say let's enjoy the next five years! Go, Geno!

Reaction Score
Nope
Tomcat:
[Sorry, but I really doubt that he is the state's highest-paid employee]
[He is the state's highest-paid state employee]
Is there a question in there???
No question. The reporter said he was the state's highest paid employee, which made it sound as though he was the highest-paid employee in the state, which seems not true. Just changing the words around a little would haver made it more precise. Just being persnickety, is all. ;)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Go Geno! Get us a great new conference!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nope
No question. The reporter said he was the state's highest paid employee, which made it sound as though he was the highest-paid employee in the state, which seems not true. Just changing the words around a little would haver made it more precise. Just being persnickety, is all. ;)

Once again, back to Mark Twain

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom