Jim Fuller blog about USA mini-camp | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller blog about USA mini-camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/04/breanna-stewart-7-former-uconn-stars.html
Is his thread about UConn's influence on the National Team. I went to the link he mentioned to see everyone that was participating : http://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster.aspx

Eight out of 27 players are UConn, but what I found interesting is that Jen Rizzotti is an assistant coach. Bruno or more probably Staley will be the heir apparent of the national team after Geno steps down. But, I think this experience will be beneficial to Jen and hopefully means more opportunities for her in the future .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No Candice Dupree or Lyndsay Whalen who were on the 2014 team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sue, Diana and a slew of young guards

Reaction Score
Anyone know what CAPS stands for?

I assume that is the number of international games played for USA basketball at some level.

Is Tamika Catchings not going to give it a try this time?

Reaction Score
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/04/breanna-stewart-7-former-uconn-stars.html
Is his thread about UConn's influence on the National Team. I went to the link he mentioned to see everyone that was participating : http://www.usab.com/womens/national-team/roster.aspx

Eight out of 27 players are UConn, but what I found interesting is that Jen Rizzotti is an assistant coach. Bruno or more probably Staley will be the heir apparent of the national team after Geno steps down. But, I think this experience will be beneficial to Jen and hopefully means more opportunities for her in the future .
Staley Head Coach/assistant ???? CAP ???? Interesting with who is on the list and who isn't. Obviously Geno selected ex Uconn (or are they like Marines once a Uconn husky always a Uconn husky?) because they are the best and he knows what he'll get from them. EDD wasn't she out with Lime Disease , or it ok because that is a Connecticut Town?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I assume that is the number of international games played for USA basketball at some level.
I'm not sure what it means either, but Sue has the most, and Dee is second. Sue Bird will be in Springfield before she is 45 years old.

Reaction Score
CAPS are the number of games in which you appear for your national team. I first saw it in football/soccer, but don't know if that is where it originates.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Anyone know what CAPS stands for?
'Caps' is the international term used for competition games played for the senior national team. I believe it dates to the early days of international test match cricket - the uniform for cricket includes a cap, and there was a ceremony where a new member of the national team officially received his uniform cap. It spread to football (soccer), rugby, and I guess now to basketball. It is not dissimilar to 'lettering' in HS and college - which originally referred to being presented with your letter jacket/sweater when you made the varsity team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the roster for the mini camp so it is not the 'National Team Pool' pre se, it is those players that were available to participate during this week in May. I imagine the various players listed above as missing from the team were invited but were not able to attend for some reason.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
'Caps' is the international term used for competition games played for the senior national team. I believe it dates to the early days of international test match cricket - the uniform for cricket includes a cap, and there was a ceremony where a new member of the national team officially received his uniform cap. It spread to football (soccer), rugby, and I guess now to basketball. It is not dissimilar to 'lettering' in HS and college - which originally referred to being presented with your letter jacket/sweater when you made the varsity team.
Actually they gave the cap in football, possibly before cricket. In the beginning (1800's) they didn't wear matching shirts (unis, kits), so they distinguished the teams by caps. Not sure which came first or who borrowed from whom, or possibly both at the same time??? But players actually got caps in football.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Quite a few from the Player Pool missing.

Bonner, Catchings, Dupree, Johnson, Lawson, McBride, Thomas, Whalen, Young.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jen has coached several USABasketball age group teams over the years....and won a bunch of gold medals with 'em.
I suspect her first gig was due to Geno's recommendation....with subsequent jobs due to the fact that she coached 'em up very well.
She has shown she can coach high level talent. Recruiting at UHart won't bring in elite talent...could she get that level of ability if she moved
to Somewhere Else University...close by?

Reaction Score
Staley Head Coach/assistant ???? CAP ???? Interesting with who is on the list and who isn't. Obviously Geno selected ex Uconn (or are they like Marines once a Uconn husky always a Uconn husky?) because they are the best and he knows what he'll get from them. EDD wasn't she out with Lime Disease , or it ok because that is a Connecticut Town?
I don't believe the coach has a say in who is invited, the committee does that. Having said that so many Uconn players are good they get invited on merit.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the coach has a say in who is invited, the committee does that. Having said that so many Uconn players are good they get invited on merit.
Suspect "selects" and "has a say in" are quite different things.

Reaction Score
Jen has coached several USABasketball age group teams over the years....and won a bunch of gold medals with 'em.
I suspect her first gig was due to Geno's recommendation....with subsequent jobs due to the fact that she coached 'em up very well.
She has shown she can coach high level talent. Recruiting at UHart won't bring in elite talent...could she get that level of ability if she moved
to Somewhere Else University...close by?
I'm hoping this might lead to some 50-100 rated players that she can recruit and develop to make those players and UHart more successful, so that when Somewhere Else University has an opening she will have a history of success that makes her an attractive option for that position (if she wants it).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Quite a few from the Player Pool missing.

Bonner, Catchings, Dupree, Johnson, Lawson, McBride, Thomas, Whalen, Young.

Wonder how many of these are due to injury. I know that McBride, for one, is recovering from a foot injury that cut short her season in Hungary.

Reaction Score
'Caps' is the international term used for competition games played for the senior national team. . .

In this instance it must be games played at all levels of USA basketball and not
just the senior team. Stewie has 58 Caps, and Stef has 17 Caps but didn't make
the senior team.

Reaction Score
Of course you are right---the committee selects ---and of course Geno and Bruno or Staley have no input. I stand corrected!!

Reaction Score
Suspect "selects" and "has a say in" are quite different things.
I think this probably is the case as you say----can you believe that Staley or Geno would stand by and have a player they really wanted passed by? It is the coaches who bare the burden of wining (yea I know the players play the games) It may happen stranger things do. However the general information is the Committee Selects so that the image of favoritism isn't presented.

Reaction Score
I think this probably is the case as you say----can you believe that Staley or Geno would stand by and have a player they really wanted passed by? It is the coaches who bare the burden of wining (yea I know the players play the games) It may happen stranger things do. However the general information is the Committee Selects so that the image of favoritism isn't presented.
Guess Bill Parcels isn't a candidate. USABB coaches may not get to shop for the groceries but I bet they get to help refine the grocery list.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Easy: I would hope you are right about Jen getting some recruits in the 50-100 rankings
but it hasn't happened so far.....and her USABasketball jobs have been going on for quite a few years.

My impression of UHart's talent [I would love to be corrected] is that the level
has gone down in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger