Jim Fuller: Are there too many former UConn players on the U.S. women’s basketball team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Are there too many former UConn players on the U.S. women’s basketball team?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lobo was on the 1996 team coached by Tara Van derveer, who sat Lobo on the bench. I believe that Lobo never played for whatever reason. UConn fans were very upset, as was I. I was upset with Tara for a long time. So I understand other fans angst.
Lobo was also a "rookie"... as is Stewie, so I wouldnt be surprised to see her sit BUT due to her former coach being the coach it "aint" gonna happen as much as Lobo. Besides Stewie is a better piece than Lobo was on her team

The symbolic college grad

Reaction Score
I could live without Stewart this year. Also, just to prove I'm not anti-uconn, without Fowles, easily. Should definitely have Parker. Take off Stewart and Fowles for Parker and Nneka. Point Guards could be faster, better defensively, but there's no more experienced at this level. Only thing would've been to get experience for Sims, maybe, for 2020, instead of Augustus(know she's not a p.g.)? We have enough shooting guards and front court mixes.
If anyone took of his/her uconn blue and white glasses, you'd see Stewart doesn't have to be on the team. There's so much bias on this site. Ugh
USA WB has a history of taking the best CBB and placing her on the NT. Taurasi 04, Parker 08,Moore 12 and Stewart 16. Stewie deserves to be there! Statistically she is better than Parker at everything except assist. Let us look at Champioships since 2002. The Connecticut players have 9 NC but you add the WNBA Championships which is 8 since then and at both levels it is more than half.People complain the women dont get the respect they deserve and part of the reason is people keep treating them like girls and not the Professional Athletes that they are.Do we here any of this whining for the Mens Team. The women want equality but this certainly is not helping them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have on very good source that Geno wanted Nneka on the team, but the committee wanted Catchings. Geno was right, the committee was wrong, very wrong. Anyone with a bball brain knows Nneka should be on the team.
My source-Pookie- said the opposite!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have on very good source that Geno wanted Nneka on the team, but the committee wanted Catchings. Geno was right, the committee was wrong, very wrong. Anyone with a bball brain knows Nneka should be on the team.
I can't speak to your source - but anyone who thinks Catch should have been left off the team in favor of anyone is flat out wrong IMHO.

Folks have already addressed the issue of talent on the team and that not always do the best individually talented players make the team because there's a lot more to it. With regards to Catch, no one in the world plays harder, and she has been there literally every single time Team USA has called, and it goes back to her junior years. Loyalty to Team USA and sacrifice to play for the country also goes a long way in determining who made the final cuts.

Lastly, as has been mentioned as well, the WNBA season thus far has zero to do with who made the team. We have no idea how Nneka fared in the tryouts. Her game is limited more than most players - she plays the 4. That's it. She's not big enough to bang with the 5's and she lacks the ability to consistently step out and drain the 3. Don't get me wrong - she's a great player and as her game grows, I have no doubt she will be seriously considered for Team USA. Just not this year... and certainly not over Catch...

Reaction Score
There are others besides Catch who could have been left off, but she is the most obvious. The problem this yr is they announced the Olympic team so early, earlier than ever before. They did it it so they could on the Today Show's 100 Days before Rio segment in April. Absurd. Nneka's stats don't lie. She should be on the team. The Rise — And Rise! — Of Nneka Ogwumike

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
There are others besides Catch who could have been left off, but she is the most obvious. The problem this yr is they announced the Olympic team so early, earlier than ever before. They did it it so they could on the Today Show's 100 Days before Rio segment in April. Absurd. Nneka's stats don't lie. She should be on the team. The Rise — And Rise! — Of Nneka Ogwumike
Catch isn't the most obvious to be left off. Her stats on offense for this season are better than Augustus and Whalan and she is still playing at a very high level on defense. I do think they picked the team too early. IMO they didn't want to have to factor in who was playing the best so they picked the team early.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
If Geno had wanted Nneka then she would be on the team. He has admitted that he had a lot of say this time.

Reaction Score
If Geno had wanted Nneka then she would be on the team. He has admitted that he had a lot of say this time.
He has? I would really like to see that quote.... anyone anyone Ferris?

Reaction Score
I don't remember exactly where, but I remember him saying he had a lot of influence - possibly before the final selections were made...?

Reaction Score
An LA sportswriter's take on the evolution of Candace Parker.... and keep in mind that Olympic team selection was made BEFORE the WNBA season started.. Los Angeles Sparks: Candace Parker Shining on Team

Olympic team makeup: 11 WNBA players and one collegiate player (traditional)

so do you get .....minimum four guards (CP not a guard)....
the most accomplished Collegiate player in NCAA history...
arguably the best player in the WNBA (sorry CP gotta go with Tina on that one.
arguably the best defensive player in the WNBA (BG)
the second and third best players in the WNBA (EDD and MM)
everybody's favorite to make the team (Catch)

that's nine folks ......

the last two spots went to Fowles and McCoughtry

IMO Fowles is a no brainer; and I would go with McCoughtry over CP

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't remember exactly where, but I remember him saying he had a lot of influence - possibly before the final selections were made...?

Here is one credible man's opinion.

"I am sure he (Geno) did not hold back in expressing his thoughts during the selection of the team. However, to assume that five committee members would just allow Auriemma to walk all over them just to get his way is quite a reach."
Jim Fuller
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Explaining Candace Parker's omission from Olympic team no easy chore

I agree with Jim.

Reaction Score
Nneka has got to be the odds on favorite for MVP in the WNBA this year ...... she is the most glaring ommision from this team. But the selections were made before the season started .....

Reaction Score
Here is one credible man's opinion.

"I am sure he (Geno) did not hold back in expressing his thoughts during the selection of the team. However, to assume that five committee members would just allow Auriemma to walk all over them just to get his way is quite a reach."
Jim Fuller
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Explaining Candace Parker's omission from Olympic team no easy chore

I agree with Jim.
And I can certainly understand anyone taking that position....

but let's agree on one thing: opinion does not equal fact.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that was a cool swipe... #flipthescript #sameresults

Reaction Score

That's not what he told my source. The committee has final say. Just like in '96, Tara didn't want Lobo, but she got her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's not what he told my source. The committee has final say. Just like in '96, Tara didn't want Lobo, but she got her.
even tho Tara isnt GENO... nor was at the time

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
It was a video interview that someone linked here that I watched. He implied that he had a lot of influence in the video.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
So Geno told your source he didn't want Catch? Nneka and Catch don't even really play the same position. Why would Geno tell someone that he can't even trust not to spread it around her he didn't want someone on the team? That would be extremely stupid and undermine the team so sorry I don't believe it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
So Geno told your source he didn't want Catch? Nneka and Catch don't even really play the same position. Why would Geno tell someone that he can't even trust not to spread it around her he didn't want someone on the team? That would be extremely stupid and undermine the team so sorry I don't believe it.
just like he didnt have anything to do with CP3 no being chosen, correct?

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
just like he didnt have anything to do with CP3 no being chosen, correct?
I think he got the team he wanted which included Catch and did not include Candace. I don't believe the mystery source that he did not want Catch.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I bristle at this idea (paraphrasing) "If your favorite player didn't make it, maybe she doesn't know how to play team basketball and you can't argue that she does know how because you weren't at the practices".

There is good reason to bristle at that type of speculation, but it's merely in response to another type of speculation that is every bit as — i.e., that any questionable exclusion is all about Geno being a petty and biased despot. Unfortunately, one good turn deserves another.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Parker has never been a difficult teammate. Please show me one quote of a teammate saying that.

Kelsey Bone, when she sounded off criticizing Parker's non-selection, admitted that Parker (I'm paraphrasing here) has a somewhat difficult attitude, but argued that this shouldn't matter because Geno "only" has to put up with the attitude for a short period of time for the Olympics.

I don't know if Kelsey has ever been a teammate of Candace's, but take that for what you will.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Wow, really? Who could be your "very good source" if not a committee member?

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Kelsey Bone, when she sounded off criticizing Parker's non-selection, admitted that Parker (I'm paraphrasing here) has a somewhat difficult attitude, but argued that this shouldn't matter because Geno "only" has to put up with the attitude for a short period of time for the Olympics.

I don't know if Kelsey has ever been a teammate of Candace's, but take that for what you will.
She actually never said anything about Candace having a difficult attitude. She said she thinks there was a personality conflict between the two and that Candace has a big personality and that there is nothing new that wasn't there when she was MVP in London. I don't think they have every played with each other.

Plebe

Reaction Score
She actually never said anything about Candace having a difficult attitude. She said she thinks there was a personality conflict between the two and that Candace has a big personality and that there is nothing new that wasn't there when she was MVP in London. I don't think they have every played with each other.

You're right. I was curious so I tracked down the article and she used the phrase "personality conflict." It was the author of the article who said that he thought Candace had a "prickly personality." By the time I found the article it was too late to edit my post appropriately. Here is the relevant passage:

Here's my $.02: Parker has a pric*ly personality that has run afoul of UConn coach and Olympic coach Geno Auriemma, who didn't appear to have the time of his life at the last Olympics. Parker was among the reasons. Her omission is the result of a personality conflict. Nothing more, nothing less.

"There is a personality conflict," Bone said. "But they are there for a month. They're not going be together for a whole season. (Auriemma) isn't going to coach her for the next 10 years of her career. We're trying to win a gold medal for a couple of weeks. But, yes, I do think there's a personality conflict."

(...)

"Candace does have a very big personality. But at the end of the day, why is it only in the women's game does that matter? You can say it's her reputation. You can say a lot of things. But all of those things have been there. There's not anything new that wasn't there in 2012 when she was the MVP in London."

Sun's Kelsey Bone uses the floor to speak about Olympic 'slight' of Candace Parker

(I inserted an asterisk in lieu of the "k" to evade the automatic censor.)

One could argue that "personality" and "attitude" are referencing the same thing essentially, but it's true that Bone kept her descriptions more neutral, in terms of a "personality conflict" and Candace's "big personality."

I have very strong criticisms of Bone's reasoning in this article, but this may not be the time to get into that here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom