Jim Fuller: Are there too many former UConn players on the U.S. women’s basketball team? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Are there too many former UConn players on the U.S. women’s basketball team?

Reaction Score
I still disagree. You think Team USA runs better with Whalen at the helm?
What are you talking about, my post said the only 3 players on Seattle who were playing well were Sue, Stewie ,and Jewell, so where did I say Sue should not be playing?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What are you talking about, my post said the only 3 players on Seattle who were playing well were Sue, Stewie ,and Jewell, so where did I say Sue should not be playing?
Maybe I misunderstood. :)

I was replying to what you said "Seattle has 2 players (I assumed you meant on the Olympics) who should be bench players, and who would be on any other team". I thought you were referring to Stewie and Sue who are starting on the Olympics. I agree Stewie should come off the bench (I think she only started in Bridgeport because it was in Connecticut), but Sue IMHO should be starting.

HOWEVER, upon further review, I think you were talking about players ON Seattle - that they have 2 starters who would be bench players on any other team. Sorry for the confusion and if I didn't get your initial comment right! ;)

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Frankly, arguing that any of these players aren't deserving of their spot on the team is mostly folly. This is a really (really, really) good team. It was assembled by people who know their basketball, certainly better than some or all of posters I've seen here. It's not only folly, but it is also rather insulting. This IS our team. That's a done deal.

I was disappointed that former WNBA star-turned-commentator Lisa Leslie chose to go off on the NBA channel about the Parker non-selection. Yes, we'd guess they are friends. So? Several of my friends weren't selected either. It's almost that silly for Leslie to chide USA basketball for not picking Parker, but failing to give a reason other than "I like her game."

Let's face it. The elephant sitting on the folding chair is that at times Parker can be a difficult teammate and a diva. She IS a supreme talent. But on this team, attitude matters.
Parker has never been a difficult teammate. Please show me one quote of a teammate saying that.

Reaction Score
The long answer. Absolutely no. When the ex-Husky's predominate on the floor the ball moves side to side, post entry to perimeter. When not the ball stagnates.
Any person can never have too many diamonds, Gold bricks, votes, ---an Olympic Coach can never have too many former Uconn players. The long long long answer--but true. However after watching CamBage (sp?) dominate, I am pleased Griner is on the USA team too.

Reaction Score
Parker has never been a difficult teammate. Please show me one quote of a teammate saying that.
]\
I don't know whether Parker is difficult or not--that isn't the issue. The issue is Leslie's comment. The USA committee made it's decision right or wrong. If it was a terrible decision the USA may lose. If not move on and accept the choice. Did Geno select Stewie over
Parker--we may never know. Is Geno too honorable to not select who he thinks is a player who will do as she is told is a significant talent and a former Uconn player? Heck NO
. Geno hates losing, he dislikes telling a player more than twice what he wants--Uconn kids are known quantities. The Olympic team is not the All Stars where fans get to vote.
I could kiss Doug Bruno on the forehead for his comments--smart guy and true friend..

Reaction Score
I disagree and yes, I do watch. Everyone doesn't agree that she's the best TODAY. That's an inaccurate statement. Her turnovers are lower, because due to her age and slower speed, she's keeping things very basic. She's still a very smart player and she knows not to take the same risks she did previously in her younger years. She doesn't break the defense down with her penetration any more and her defense just isn't there. This equates to the opponents out scoring them, thus having only 9 wins at this point of the season. With 2 Olympians on their team, if they are as good as advertised here, they'd have more wins.

I'm not sure who did the voting or what analyst said Sue was not the number one Point Guard in the world. 100 million Russians for over a million bucks a year seem to think so. Are there other great Point Guards certainly, Uconn produced a few. Sue by her own definition is ready to retire--at age 35 men and women BB players feel the pains.
Did you watch the Aussie game? She dazzled the Aussie defense and "broke it down" not often but she does not have to --her job is to direct/lead/assist and she does that with excellence. I guess the question is: Who do you want running the USA Olympic team?
From the number of time Sue was pulled back in it appears Geno wants SUE.
I'm not arguing--although, it may appear so--Sue earned every bit of respect you or I may give her

Reaction Score
I could live without Stewart this year. Also, just to prove I'm not anti-uconn, without Fowles, easily. Should definitely have Parker. Take off Stewart and Fowles for Parker and Nneka. Point Guards could be faster, better defensively, but there's no more experienced at this level. Only thing would've been to get experience for Sims, maybe, for 2020, instead of Augustus(know she's not a p.g.)? We have enough shooting guards and front court mixes.
If anyone took of his/her uconn blue and white glasses, you'd see Stewart doesn't have to be on the team. There's so much bias on this site. Ugh

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Frankly, arguing that any of these players aren't deserving of their spot on the team is mostly folly. This is a really (really, really) good team. It was assembled by people who know their basketball, certainly better than some or all of posters I've seen here. It's not only folly, but it is also rather insulting. This IS our team. That's a done deal.

I was disappointed that former WNBA star-turned-commentator Lisa Leslie chose to go off on the NBA channel about the Parker non-selection. Yes, we'd guess they are friends. So? Several of my friends weren't selected either. It's almost that silly for Leslie to chide USA basketball for not picking Parker, but failing to give a reason other than "I like her game."

Let's face it. The elephant sitting on the folding chair is that at times Parker can be a difficult teammate and a diva. She IS a supreme talent. But on this team, attitude matters.
The elephant described (Parker as difficult teammate and Diva) is more like a unicorn or urban legend=nonexistent!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure if anyone who took the time to look it up would find that other schools dominated previous Olympic WBB teams.
I can certainly be somebody, and having done the research your Thesis-that "other schools dominated previous Olympic WBB teams" cannot be validated.
Over the last two Olympic UCONN has had 6 and 5 players on the US WBB Olympic roster. Only two schools UCONN 2004 & TN 2008 have had as many 3 former players on the same Olympic roster.

My question to Jim is: why is this an issue now? In 2012 there were more (6) former UCONN players on the Olympic team than this current team (5).

1976-None
1984-None
1988-None
1992 Theresa Edwards & Katrina McClain (Georgia)
1992 Vickie Orr & Carolyn Jones-Young (Auburn)
1996 Jennifer Azzi & Katy Steding (Stanford)
1996 Theresa Edwards & Katrina McClain (Georgia)
1996 Carla McGhee & Nikki McCray (TN)
2000 Chamique Holdsclaw & Nikki McCray (TN)
2004 Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi & Swim Cash (UCONN)
2004 TinaThompson & Lisa Leslie (USC)
2008 Simone Augustus & Sylvia Fowles (LSU)
2008 Kara Lawson, Tamika Catchings, & Candace Parker (TN)
2008 Sue Bird & Diana Taurasi (UCONN)
2012 Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Asjha Jones, Swin Cash, Tina Charles (UCONN)
2012 Simone Augustus & Sylvia Fowles (LSU)
2012 Tamika Catchings, & Candace Parker (TN)
2016 Simone Augustus & Sylvia Fowles (LSU)
2016 Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart (UCONN)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue is the smartest player on a team full of smart players and the best leader in the league. No one runs a team as well as she does, but Moriah could be at that level in time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I can certainly be somebody, and having done the research your Thesis-that "other schools dominated previous Olympic WBB teams" cannot be validated.
Over the last two Olympic UCONN has had 6 and 5 players on the US WBB Olympic roster. Only two schools UCONN 2004 & TN 2008 have had as many 3 former players on the same Olympic roster.

My question to Jim is: why is this an issue now? In 2012 there were more (6) former UCONN players on the Olympic team than this current team (5).

1976-None
1984-None
1988-None
2012 Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Asjha Jones, Swin Cash, Tina Charles (UCONN)
May I be the first to complain when the next Olympics has 4 or 5 as well even without Geno?

Reaction Score

1976-None
1984-None
1988-None

Interesting. Thank you.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Exactly. the WNBA season really had zero to do with who was selected. They had "tryouts" where many players were invited, and after evaluating them, the committee decided on the current team. Based on the WNBA performances this season, it seems clear that players like Ogwumike, Loyd, Sims and McBride (and even Jefferson) are all making cases for serious consideration the next time they have tryouts to select the NC team for the WC's in 2018. But the 5 UCONN players on the team are pretty much not only the best at their positions in the US, but arguably the best at their positions in the word.

Well, maybe Stewie not so much right now, but she's #5 in the league in scoring, #2 in rebounding, and #15 in assists. She's certainly holding her own. Bottom line - theSTew team would have more of a flavor of other schools if there were other players who were ready to step up at this time. Thing is, the last 2 players on the team probably were Augustus and Catchings so even if you took out the "weakest links" and replaced them with Loyd and Sims, you still would have 5 UCONN players on the team...

Agree completely, There are players selected on the team based on potential (Candace Parker in 2008, Stewie right now), and some whose protracted and great career accomplishments and experience get them on the team (Augustus, Catchings, etc.). The combination of youth and experience is a winner.

This is the fourth time Geno has been head coach of Team USAW (two Olympics, two FIBA world tourneys), and he's earned the right to decide who's on the team. Maya and Tina are great together (yes, still), Stewie is this year's just-graduated senior (and deservedly so), and the great 2002 remnants absolutely deserve what could be their last bid.

Geno is taking the risk. If Team USA wins gold, he clearly staffed the squad correctly. If the American women don't win gold, he gets some egg on his face. Until then, Geno deserves to coach, everyone on the squad deserves their spot, and if any communists from certain fanbases will root in their heart of hearts against Team USA because they're Geno/UConn haters, there may just be a special place in Hades for them...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Winning the gold isn't the issue. The US could field 2 teams and claim Gold and Silver. They are truly that much better than the competition. The issue is making sure that those who represent the USA are the best talent. That didn't happen and in the history of the Oympics, no elite level player has been spurned in this manner. Candace didn't deserve that type of treatment. She, like Stewart, Maya, EDD, DT, and Catchings, should be shoe ins for as long as they can compete at a high level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That didn't happen and in the history of the Oympics, no elite level player has been spurned in this manner.
The 1992 "dream" Olympic team excluded Isaiah Thomas and Shaquille O'Neil. While I agree with your point that CP should be on the team to say it has never happened before is not accurate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Winning the gold isn't the issue. The US could field 2 teams and claim Gold and Silver. They are truly that much better than the competition. The issue is making sure that those who represent the USA are the best talent. That didn't happen and in the history of the Oympics, no elite level player has been spurned in this manner. Candace didn't deserve that type of treatment. She, like Stewart, Maya, EDD, DT, and Catchings, should be shoe ins for as long as they can compete at a high level.
You are very confused (as are some others in this thread) on what the Olympic team is and what it's supposed to do/be. It is not an all-star team. It really doesn't matter what a player does in the WNBA, the Olympics are not the WNBA. The international game is quite different than the WNBA. There have been numerous competitions (prior Olympics, WCs, U23's, U21's U19's, etc.) and camps to evaluate the players. (along with international play) WNBA stats don't really mean anything in this area.

The Olympic team is just that...a TEAM (not a collection of WNBA all-stars) that will win the Gold. That's it, nothing more. It is not supposed to be a representation of colleges or WNBA teams. Prior experience matters a lot (whether right or wrong here, and this is where an argument can be made) a whole lot. Hence Bird and Catchings and Augustus.

Personally I would have had Parker on MY team. I am willing to say though, that I might have been wrong in that. Watching this team, I'm not sure where she would fit. She's definitely not a 1/2/3 so she wouldn't replace Bird/DT/Whalen/Augustus/McCaughtry/Moore/Catchings. I would not take Parker over Fowles/Charles/Griner in the Post. Parker is not really a post, at least defensively. She's a 4, but not really a stretch 4. (Sure a point forward, but this team doesn't need that when you have Bird/DT/Whalen). And as stretch fours, EDD and Stewart have much better range. I really can't see where Parker would fit in on this team. I like Parker, I think she's a great player. But after watching what they want to do with this team, I don't really see where she would have fit in.

I think the committee might have gotten this one right, against my judgement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are very confused (as are some others in this thread) on what the Olympic team is and what it's supposed to do/be. It is not an all-star team. It really doesn't matter what a player does in the WNBA, the Olympics are not the WNBA. The international game is quite different than the WNBA. There have been numerous competitions (prior Olympics, WCs, U23's, U21's U19's, etc.) and camps to evaluate the players. (along with international play) WNBA stats don't really mean anything in this area.

The Olympic team is just that...a TEAM (not a collection of WNBA all-stars) that will win the Gold. That's it, nothing more. It is not supposed to be a representation of colleges or WNBA teams. Prior experience matters a lot (whether right or wrong here, and this is where an argument can be made) a whole lot. Hence Bird and Catchings and Augustus.

Personally I would have had Parker on MY team. I am willing to say though, that I might have been wrong in that. Watching this team, I'm not sure where she would fit. She's definitely not a 1/2/3 so she wouldn't replace Bird/DT/Whalen/Augustus/McCaughtry/Moore/Catchings. I would not take Parker over Fowles/Charles/Griner in the Post. Parker is not really a post, at least defensively. She's a 4, but not really a stretch 4. (Sure a point forward, but this team doesn't need that when you have Bird/DT/Whalen). And as stretch fours, EDD and Stewart have much better range. I really can't see where Parker would fit in on this team. I like Parker, I think she's a great player. But after watching what they want to do with this team, I don't really see where she would have fit in.

I think the committee might have gotten this one right, against my judgment.
What I love (not like) about your explanation is that is completely based on basketball ability and team fit and not personality. The personality aspect, specifically that accusation Parker was a bad teammate and Diva is something else than many on this board seem to be confused about.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think the committee might have gotten this one right, against my judgement.
Really good post. And I agree particularly with the segment that I highlighted. It is the balance of the team and especially the defensive strengths combined with offensive range that I think explains the selections. EDD is the 'wild card' to my mind who was not available for the last Olympic team and represents the position that Parker was competing for. The other player that I think falls into that category is Catchings and I think that is as much about loyalty as about playing capabilities. Catchings also remains one of the great defensive players, while her offense is secondary.
The USA team is not really concerned about offense - all the players on the team are capable of scoring 20 points a game if called upon to do so. The concern is more both their commitment to play defense, and their willingness to play on a team where taking 3 shots and scoring 2 points game after game does not bother them at all. (Or getting five minutes in blow out wins doesn't bother them either.)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Winning the gold isn't the issue.

No, that's the issue. Winning the gold is always the issue.

in the history of the Oympics, no elite level player has been spurned in this manner.

It happens literally every four years. Yes, really.

2004. Chamique Holdsclaw had just come off of a 2003 WNBA season where she was the leading American scorer in the league (Lauren Jackson was tops) and the top rebounder and wasn't on the Olympic team.

Not on the 2000 team? Cynthia Cooper.

Not on the '96 team? Cynthia Cooper.

Also, Becky Hammon. Why do you think she went out and got Russian citizenship? She led the league in assists and was 5th in scoring in 2007. Not considered for the 2008 team.

Not on the 2008 team? Alana Beard.

Not on the 2012 team? Crystal Langhorne -- #4 scorer and #5 rebounder in 2011.

"Deserving" players are left out. Every. Single. Olympiad.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What I love (not like) about your explanation is that is completely based on basketball ability and team fit and not personality. The personality aspect, specifically that accusation Parker was a bad teammate and Diva is something else than many on this board seem to be confused about.
I don't think it's personality. If it's anything NOT basketball ability, then it could be missing the WC's. They Committee really, really likes commitment to the program.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The other player that I think falls into that category is Catchings and I think that is as much about loyalty as about playing capabilities. Catchings also remains one of the great defensive players, while her offense is secondary.
The USA team is not really concerned about offense - all the players on the team are capable of scoring 20 points a game if called upon to do so. The concern is more both their commitment to play defense, and their willingness to play on a team where taking 3 shots and scoring 2 points game after game does not bother them at all. (Or getting five minutes in blow out wins doesn't bother them either.)
Yea, it's seems pretty obvious, Catching is filling that 12 man slot (like AJ did last time). She's there for 1) leadership, 2) when they want to ratchet up the defense, and 3) because she's put so much into the program.

Reaction Score
Lobo was on the 1996 team coached by Tara Van derveer, who sat Lobo on the bench. I believe that Lobo never played for whatever reason. UConn fans were very upset, as was I. I was upset with Tara for a long time. So I understand other fans angst.

Reaction Score
I have on very good source that Geno wanted Nneka on the team, but the committee wanted Catchings. Geno was right, the committee was wrong, very wrong. Anyone with a bball brain knows Nneka should be on the team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes. It would be best to have more universities represented. Stanford was a main stay in the final 4 and then Notre Dame has been in the final 4 for many years. These teams don't have that type of success without having a player that is worthy of being on the Olympic team. Yes, Candace Parker should also be on the team. The more universities that are represented, the better it is for the growth of the game. They should have dwindled the list down and then named the final team after surveying their play in the WNBA this season. By doing this, they could have easily seen who the best performers are right now. More youth should be on the team and unless a player is still a superstar performing at the same level they did in their early years, they shouldn't be given an automatic bid. It should be earned.
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-Excuse-me-WTF-OMG--Say-what-What-GIF.gif?gs=a

and this would have gotten CP3 on the team? or who shouldnt be on the team... Bird, Griner and DT3?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom