Jim Calhoun | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While Calhoun was a great Coach ( with undeniably low ethics... as NCAA sanctions, and Uconn Admin. would acknowledge ), Uconn in my view was a sleeping giant that had the makings to move up in BE Basketball, if they hired the right Coach. Perno was lazy and increasingly ineffective. Calhoun was a relentless and efficiient 24-7 recruiter, that Perno never was. So I might disagree a bit that UCONN would continue to be mediocre in basketball if they did not hire Calhoun. Uconn might not have won as many games as they did with Calhoun, but UCONN'S admittance to the BE gave them a chance to move up nationally, provided Uconn got themselves a good Coach... and Uconn did do so.

The only ethics Calhoun has is winning. At least the honesty to punch you in the face with that instead of whinging like a 3 year old having a tantrum like Coach K or Boeheim, or stabbing you in the back like Caliparri, Perino, and most of BC athletics in the DeFlippo days.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! Jeff Jacobs really hates JC (even in retirement).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
BC is the last program to be talking about ethics. You ever see the Movie Goodfellas? You know when they wack Morrie? Just before Tommie sticks the ice pick into the baseof his skull, he's talking about points they were shaving up in Boston and they weren't talking about the Celtics.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
While Calhoun was a great Coach ( with undeniably low ethics... as NCAA sanctions, and Uconn Admin. would acknowledge )
This is a narrative I see written about Calhoun by a lot of opposing fans. The story they want to push is that Calhoun never cared about his kids' academic standing or their future after basketball. In no uncertain terms, this narrative is complete horse$hit.

Calhoun never played the "student-athlete" game like the bureaucrats on Chestnut Hill or the rest of the NCAA because the future of his kids was his highest priority. Sometimes that means you advise kids like Gavin Edwards to drop out of school to chase professional dreams even though it'll mean your grad rate will take a hit.

The NCAA rules were written without the best interest of the athletes in mind. If you want to try to claim otherwise, good luck with that.

Look at the collection of men that make up the UConn Men's Basketball fraternity objectively. Look at what they've accomplished and how they're respected by their peers after college. Then look at how much credit they give to Calhoun for turning them into men.

That's what it's all about.

The crap about ethics is ignorance and nothing more.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is a narrative I see written about Calhoun by a lot of opposing fans. The story they want to push is that Calhoun never cared about his kids' academic standing or their future after basketball. In no uncertain terms, this narrative is complete horse$hit.

Calhoun never played the "student-athlete" game like the bureaucrats on Chestnut Hill or the rest of the NCAA because the future of his kids was his highest priority. Sometimes that means you advise kids like Gavin Edwards to drop out of school to chase professional dreams even though it'll mean your grad rate will take a hit.

The NCAA rules were written without the best interest of the athletes in mind. If you want to try to claim otherwise, good luck with that.

Look at the collection of men that make up the UConn Men's Basketball fraternity objectively. Look at what they've accomplished and how they're respected by their peers after college. Then look at how much credit they give to Calhoun for turning them into men.

That's what it's all about.

The crap about ethics is ignorance and nothing more.

Add to this one of the most important facts. Jim Calhoun was a father figure, a mentor, a teacher (of basketball, coaching, and life) to one Kevin Ollie, a man that I've not heard one bad word about since I first heard his name. He's universally loved, and counts Jim Calhoun as one of the most important people in his life. If that doesn't tell you anything about the man (JC), then I don't know what does.

WINNING.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BC is the last program to be talking about ethics.

I agree with this. College sports is pure sleaze, if we're honest about it. BC had their gambling scandal of fixing basketball games in the mid 70's, Calhoun had a huge drug problem on his Northeastern basketball team , that even Andre LeFleur admitted to in court depos in the Lewis Wrongful Death Suit that Calhoun knew about the drugs running rampant on his Northeastern team ( Reggie Lewis was getting his dope delivered from a dealer on Huntington Ave right up to his dorm room weekly, long time followers of NE college sports on here will no doubt recall ) and that JC looked the other way... as winning was everything. Its all a sleazy biz.. ALL the majors.,. but its still fun to watch and follow though, lets also admit this as well. Its like a good sausage. It tastes good to us... but nobody needs to see how its prepared behind the scenes. Screw that. Just bring us the good meal. ( haha!)

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wasn't arguing that. I'm pointing out that BC not considering Coach Calhoun because of ethics is the exact meaning of the pot calling the kettle black.

BC is not holier than thou even if they pretend to be.

Reaction Score
Wasn't arguing that. I'm pointing out that BC not considering Coach Calhoun because of ethics is the exact meaning of the pot calling the kettle black.

BC is not holier than thou even if they pretend to be.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc