Jeter | The Boneyard

Jeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Derek if you want to make the playoffs, let's drop ourselves down a few notches like to 8th in the order.

And Joe G……….have a sack and please drop him down he's killing you.

I mean they suck anyway, and they aren't going to begin hitting like mad or anything but hanging around like they are you might as well coach them. And if you are honestly a 1st ballot HOFer you need to know your limitations. Hits more ground balls than anyone in the game and mostly weak. I know it's tough to do but man, it's even tougher to watch! 35 RBI? Awful

Reaction Score
Eh...one month to go of an all-time great in a semi-lost season. I think he goes out playing SS and batting 2nd---he "earned" it. Were they really in the mix to do something I think different answer but not this year....

And not like there is some guy hitting 8th or wherever you could swap him with in the order that makes that much of a difference....

Reaction Score
Eh...one month to go of an all-time great in a semi-lost season. I think he goes out playing SS and batting 2nd---he "earned" it. Were they really in the mix to do something I think different answer but not this year....

And not like there is some guy hitting 8th or wherever you could swap him with in the order that makes that much of a difference....

Gardner batter 8th with Ellsbury 1st now……..that is a difference.

I know what he's earned and i do not put this on Girardi as much as i do the Captain himself.

Reaction Score
Derek if you want to make the playoffs, let's drop ourselves down a few notches like to 8th in the order.

And Joe G……….have a sack and please drop him down he's killing you.

I mean they suck anyway, and they aren't going to begin hitting like mad or anything but hanging around like they are you might as well coach them. And if you are honestly a 1st ballot HOFer you need to know your limitations. Hits more ground balls than anyone in the game and mostly weak. I know it's tough to do but man, it's even tougher to watch! 35 RBI? Awful

14 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR's? Yeesh. That's like a Rey Ordonez stat line.

Reaction Score
14 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR's? Yeesh. That's like a Rey Ordonez stat line.

Ray Ordonez was a bigger threat at leads he could bunt………Jete's a ground ball machine he's just lucky that some find holes and others are too slow to field on time. but he also has to be near the lead for grounding into double plays - and many with runners in scoring position.

Love the guy, he was great but do you want to make the playoffs or just finish batting 2nd on a losing squad?

Reaction Score
Ray Ordonez was a bigger threat at leads he could bunt………Jete's a ground ball machine he's just lucky that some find holes and others are too slow to field on time. but he also has to be near the lead for grounding into double plays - and many with runners in scoring position.

Love the guy, he was great but do you want to make the playoffs or just finish batting 2nd on a losing squad?
Mau, Jeter is a great player but he probably should have moved over to third or second when the Yankees signed Arod. He is no more likely to move out of the second slot than he is to abandon the shortstop position. I really don't think it would make much difference anyway. I am amazed with all of the injuries and all of the players having down years that they are even in contention. Joe Girardi is either a genius or he is extremely lucky.

I know you'd like to see the Yankees make the playoffs and I don't blame you, but I don't think they would go very deep anyway.

Reaction Score
Mau, Jeter is a great player but he probably should have moved over to third or second when the Yankees signed Arod. He is no more likely to move out of the second slot than he is to abandon the shortstop position. I really don't think it would make much difference anyway. I am amazed with all of the injuries and all of the players having down years that they are even in contention. Joe Girardi is either a genius or he is extremely lucky.

I know you'd like to see the Yankees make the playoffs and I don't blame you, but I don't think they would go very deep anyway.

Oh I agree but if contention why not? UConn basketball is close now so we can all forget about baseball soon Thanks God!! LOL

Reaction Score
Oh I agree but if contention why not? UConn basketball is close now so we can all forget about baseball soon Thanks God!! LOL
Amen! I still have recorded the last two games against Florida and Kentucky. In my despair over the Sox, I often turn to them.

Reaction Score
I'd agree with you if there was a better option, but there really isn't. I know Gardy hit 8th for one game but he's been the leadoff hitter 90% of the year. Now that Prado's hitting a bit you could argue that he should hit 3rd after some order of Gardy and Ellsbury but really what's the point now? The Yankees are a hideous offensive team but scary as it sounds, Jeter for all his weak ground balls and infield singles has actually been one of their more consistent hitters.

Reaction Score

I agree. This likely isn't their year, and with so little time left, I'd hate to see Girardi single out Jeter among all the other underachievers on the team. Hell, Tex is batting .215 with runners on.

Reaction Score
Last night's Post reporter for the 5th inning Yankee interview had apparently written a "should Derek Jeter" be batting 2nd piece. That segment is usually a fluff-filled discussion but in this case You could sense the tension. Suzyn Waldman reacted as if someone had attacked her child and seemed on the verge of tears. Sterling just got huffy and said, "you wrote that for attention." While quite probably true, the reporter had a point when he responded to, "You just wrote that because it's Derek Jeter" with "If it wasn't Derek Jeter it wouldn't be an issue because he wouldn't be batting 2nd or playing shortstop every day." In particular, Waldman and Sterling seemed oblivious to the fact that Jeter has virtually no range and, of the three Yankee shortstops, he's clearly the weakest defender at this point in his career.

Jeter is a first ballot HoF'er. He's been starter and all-star in that NYC pressure cooker longer than virtually anyone imaginable. He's also reported to be a nice guy and a great rep for the game because he's level-headed and nearly 100% of the time stands up and says the right thing. But the almost mythical allegiance to him has always baffled me. Waldman's constant refrain about the captain being the ultimate leader and there's nothing he wouldn't do for the team (how about moving to third base when the Yankees acquired a player who was, at that time, the best shortstop in the game) is nauseating. It would have been nice if he'd gone out still on top of his game as Rivera did instead of putting up an OPS barely over .600. Unfortunately, he didn't.

Reaction Score
Last night's Post reporter for the 5th inning Yankee interview had apparently written a "should Derek Jeter" be batting 2nd piece. That segment is usually a fluff-filled discussion but in this case You could sense the tension. Suzyn Waldman reacted as if someone had attacked her child and seemed on the verge of tears. Sterling just got huffy and said, "you wrote that for attention." While quite probably true, the reporter had a point when he responded to, "You just wrote that because it's Derek Jeter" with "If it wasn't Derek Jeter it wouldn't be an issue because he wouldn't be batting 2nd or playing shortstop every day." In particular, Waldman and Sterling seemed oblivious to the fact that Jeter has virtually no range and, of the three Yankee shortstops, he's clearly the weakest defender at this point in his career.

Jeter is a first ballot HoF'er. He's been starter and all-star in that NYC pressure cooker longer than virtually anyone imaginable. He's also reported to be a nice guy and a great rep for the game because he's level-headed and nearly 100% of the time stands up and says the right thing. But the almost mythical allegiance to him has always baffled me. Waldman's constant refrain about the captain being the ultimate leader and there's nothing he wouldn't do for the team (how about moving to third base when the Yankees acquired a player who was, at that time, the best shortstop in the game) is nauseating. It would have been nice if he'd gone out still on top of his game as Rivera did instead of putting up an OPS barely over .600. Unfortunately, he didn't.

First of all Waldman is an idiot with little knowledge of the game so only allegiance could carry this imbecile. Sterling isn't a lot better other than his so-called creativity around the mike - it amazes me as a Yankee fan how long either of these 2 have been allowed to represent the Yankees on the radio waves. While guys find it hard to go out "when they would like", Derek's injury last year hurt his chances to go out stronger than this year. Having said that, if these 2 idiots actually watched the game as baseball fans rather than talking out of their respective a***s the whole year they would realize even his .262 worth of hits have been lucky. He's a ground ball machine, a double play machine and a rally stopper. So the reality is, while I understand the allegiance by Girardi and the Yanks, at least questioning whether he should have been batting 2nd for the last 1-2 months is a good discussion. Anyone who doesn't think so is ignorant.

I will say his decision to stay at SS did not bother me at the time due to the fact he was still a solid SS himself and it was his team and town.

Reaction Score
Can't disagree on Waldman and Sterling. I thought Steiner/Sterling was bad, but at least Charlie Steiner had some knowledge and could call a game correctly. The introduction of Waldman made for the worst pair of announcers I've ever heard for a major professional team.

As for which player should have moved when ARod was acquired, I do understand what happened as the Red Sox may be looking at a somewhat similar situation with Pedroia and Betts. It's a little different because Pedroia's primary decline is offensive whereas the basis for any potential Jeter move (pre-2013) was declining defensive range. Pedroia's situation is further complicated because he took what was, at the time, a significant home town discount (making for a strong ROI even at his current production) so it could really pollute relationships with current players and future potential acquisitions if he was moved or traded. Nonetheless, if Jeter was truly an "anything for the team guy" (if there really is such a thing) as commonly portrayed, he would have volunteered to move.

BTW, I left out Jeter's strongest asset in my earlier description. He has an incredible feel for the game. More than a decade later I still marvel at the famous play against Giambi and Oakland where he sized up the situation and sprinted about 100 feet to a location no other shortstop would have even considered to salvage the play. The others would have reacted that split second too late that distinguishes the great players from the merely good. It's that sense for the game that has probably enabled him to stay at short even though he's really had relatively poor range for the 2nd half of his career. It sure leads to spectacular plays on occasion that cover up for the ground balls he just can't get reach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coming from a Red Sox fan, Derek is one class act and I for one believe baseball will not be quite the same without him.

Great commercial

Reaction Score
Great commercial

All I could think when I saw this was "How has he not been in Stan's since 1998?" Any series that ended in NY, I'd be standing on that bar pouring shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom