JerseyBoycott? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JerseyBoycott?

Reaction Score
What exactly has Rutgers done that is so ethical or great? That's the other option in Jersey or nearby. Or Temple. Or UMD.

Plus, we'd have DC who knows the area.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There is one thing that sticks out to me in this whole mess. Through the ridiculous amount of articles and press this has gotten, I cannot recall seeing a single quote or direct comment from Ryan himself. It is always his parents or coach who are quoted or referenced. Why?

My guess is that in the conversations with Edsall/Wholley, Ryan was told something similar to : "at this point we are still planning on honoring your scholarship offer. You are exactly the type of person we want in our program--good academics, leader, person, etc. However, we are still building our coaching staff and will continue to assess and evaluate our roster, players, and recruits. So at this point, you are definitely still wanted in our program. We expect to hire our DC shortly and we will work with him on evaluating our defensive scheme and priorities going forward. But we will definitely stay in touch..." Some sort of reassurance that at this point he is still wanted, but short of guaranteeing his offer.

After talking with UConn, his parents and coach ask him about it. He says " we are all good, they still want me and I intend to still go to UConn". He gives the impression that his spot is guaranteed--as he is a 17 year old kid.

My guess is that Ryan knows that the communication with Edsall/Wholley was not a "guarantee" from UConn. But his parents/coach ran with their perspective to the press--and Ryan is too far "in" to now correct his parents/coaches of the actual discussion with Edsall/Wholley. With all of the press this has gotten, why has Ryan not been a part of any of this?

Reaction Score
Why? The press is overwhelmingly on his side. The real question how does Edsall respond come three weeks from yesterday morning, if at all.

He can never speak about this kid, unless and until he signs papers with UConn.

Reaction Score
If HCRE can get us back to where we were, this whole issue will quickly move far away in our rear view mirror.

Reaction Score
He can never speak about this kid, unless and until he signs papers with UConn.
Doesn't a coach have an opportunity to speak about the process once the recruit has signed officially with someone? If not, then he would theoretically never be able to talk about him. That seems far from fair.

Reaction Score
Doesn't a coach have an opportunity to speak about the process once the recruit has signed officially with someone? If not, then he would theoretically never be able to talk about him. That seems far from fair.
He can't say 1 word about him unless he signs a LOI to play at UConn.

Reaction Score
Edsall would be crazy to say anything - there is no upside. He has already spoken on the matter by telling the kid he wasn't up to what we want or need. It hurts, no doubt. But perhaps the kid can learn from this - if nothing else, he can see his parents in action and ask, is that the kind of adult I want to be? Maybe he looks at all the trophies he was given for participating and compares them to the awards he earned for being who he is and says, I prefer the ones I earned to the ones I was given.

Reaction Score
He can't say 1 word about him unless he signs a LOI to play at UConn.
That's incredible to me. It's a one-way street! So unless this kid signs with UConn, Edsall will never be able to mention anything about his side of the story? That's ridiculous.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
When I saw the thread "Jersey boycott", I thought Edsall was threatening to wear red pants every day until the block-C comes back!

Reaction Score
Ask yourself why you would want to comment if you were Edsall - be the adult in the room.

I thought the kid was a reach in the summer, but I am starting to really dislike him based on his parents actions. The new staff determined what the other 120+ 1-A programs had concluded - you're not ready now and we don't project you as a key contributor here down the line. They made the decision days after they hired the DC, which means they gave you as much time as they possibly could. With the reaction of the NJ HS Football coaches, perhaps they can enlist RU to offer you.

Reaction Score
Ask yourself why you would want to comment if you were Edsall - be the adult in the room.

I thought the kid was a reach in the summer, but I am starting to really dislike him based on his parents actions. The new staff determined what the other 120+ 1-A programs had concluded - you're not ready now and we don't project you as a key contributor here down the line. They made the decision days after they hired the DC, which means they gave you as much time as they possibly could. With the reaction of the NJ HS Football coaches, perhaps they can enlist RU to offer you.
Unfortunately, in our society, the media no longer tries to get both sides of a story, never mind present both sides. So the undiscerning reader walks away with an unfavorable view of the accused based on a one-sided report. The system should allow the coach the opportunity to give a response.

Reaction Score
I'm on the side of those who wrote earlier - heck with the media, we just announced we are done with the experimentation phase and returning to the execution phase

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is one thing that sticks out to me in this whole mess. Through the ridiculous amount of articles and press this has gotten, I cannot recall seeing a single quote or direct comment from Ryan himself. It is always his parents or coach who are quoted or referenced. Why?

My guess is that in the conversations with Edsall/Wholley, Ryan was told something similar to : "at this point we are still planning on honoring your scholarship offer. You are exactly the type of person we want in our program--good academics, leader, person, etc. However, we are still building our coaching staff and will continue to assess and evaluate our roster, players, and recruits. So at this point, you are definitely still wanted in our program. We expect to hire our DC shortly and we will work with him on evaluating our defensive scheme and priorities going forward. But we will definitely stay in touch..." Some sort of reassurance that at this point he is still wanted, but short of guaranteeing his offer.

After talking with UConn, his parents and coach ask him about it. He says " we are all good, they still want me and I intend to still go to UConn". He gives the impression that his spot is guaranteed--as he is a 17 year old kid.

My guess is that Ryan knows that the communication with Edsall/Wholley was not a "guarantee" from UConn. But his parents/coach ran with their perspective to the press--and Ryan is too far "in" to now correct his parents/coaches of the actual discussion with Edsall/Wholley. With all of the press this has gotten, why has Ryan not been a part of any of this?

Great perspective and I can see this happening
I've coached soccer for 25 years from the U-10 level all the way to ODP and have been involved in recruiting with colleges
Many times college coaches will talk to me to get my feedback and give me theirs, I ask the coach if I have his/her permission to give feedback to the student about our conversation. In the cases where it was granted, 50% of the time the student has a far greater sense of acceptability of the coach/program than what was portrayed to me. A lot of these young adults have selective hearing and some of the coaches throw out too many veiled positives. Sometimes people only hear what they want to hear.

Reaction Score

Me: I object, speculation!

Judge: Shut up, it's the boneyard.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, might it be better to take a committed player that no longer fits your plans than lose a high school and key state for recruiting? In hindsight, I bet Edsall would've honored the scholarship.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, might it be better to take a committed player that no longer fits your plans than lose a high school and key state for recruiting? In hindsight, I bet Edsall would've honored the scholarship.

I think it's silly to think they lost New Jersey over this. Other than this one coach every other school, player and coach in the state is going to continue to make the decision that is best for them.

Oh I'm going to go to UMass or Bowling Green because Edsall was honest with some kid I don't know. Please.

UConn will recruit well in New Jersey if they can show they win and get kids to the NFL. Nobody is going to take this ridiculous situation into account when the chips are down for them.

Reaction Score
Its amazing how much attention we get in football recruiting. This could be part of the recruiting pitch.

Come to UConn!! Even if it doesn't work out and you don't sign a letter, you'll still be famous!!!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That's incredible to me. It's a one-way street! So unless this kid signs with UConn, Edsall will never be able to mention anything about his side of the story? That's ridiculous.
Post signing day I dont see why he cant talk about kids he recruited. Calhoun wasnt prohibited from talking about Ryan Gomes.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom