Jeff Jacobs is being outgunned. | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs is being outgunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
After a strong initial effort, our erstwhile media champion seems to have retired to navel-gazing and prodding local politicians over capital projects. Perhaps this will get the train moving again...

When it comes to Big 12 expansion, national media is ignorant about UCF

The Orlando Sentinel's UCF beat guy is bringing live ammunition to the expansion wars! He wants to cover Big 12 sports! He's ready! (Of course, he's also delusional.)

Reaction Score
You forget about the Justin McBridge and Tacko Fall reality TV show. Thats eyeballs people.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, if the XII decided that they absolutely needed to expand into Florida, UCF is the best choice. Face it, the Seminoles are kingpins in their own league with no reason to move. Orlando, with its vacation destination & media infrastructure, is a perfect setting. Between UCF & USF, I've always felt that the Knights had the greater potential.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Reporting is hard. Writing columns on your phone is easy (ask Stephen A. Smith).

Reaction Score
From a b12 perspective, they can wait on UCF. If the b12n is successful, the ACC may get left behind. Then the remaining P4, without the PAC, will pick them apart, just like what happened to the big east. FSU and others would be available if that happens. Couldn't happen to a nicer group. It's the curse of the Irish.

Reaction Score
What did we end up getting? Like, one article from him after his little "you have my sword" speech?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
What did we end up getting? Like, one article from him after his little "you have my sword" speech?
That was back when it was looking likely that the B12 was going to have to expand and UConn would be selected. He wanted jump on the bandwagon and be able to "take credit" for the invite. Now that the B12 expansion bus has blown a tire, Jacobs has moved on. Not a single story from him on this since then.

pj

Reaction Score
He thought realignment was a sure thing, and wanted to be its leader. Now he's not so sure, and he's afraid to get in front.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's comical that all of these writers think they know the "magic formula" of what drives realignment. It's football! It's TV market! It's AAU status! It's valuable cable network content!

Each league has its own needs, and those needs are shifting constantly with the landscape and vary from conference to conference. UConn hockey and women's hoop would be quite valuable to the B1G, but not so much the ACC or Big XII.
Right now, Boren and Gee are driving the expansion effort for the Big XII. What do those two want for their respective schools and league? That's the question people should be asking. Fortunately, Boren tells us what he wants, over and over, and it bodes well for UConn.

Reaction Score
My guess is that he got a talking to by the administration. Basically told him, go ahead and write away, but this thing isn't a slam dunk and you'll get no further cooperation on our end.

Reaction Score
Plus, they ya know had 2 good football teams then went winless when their coach left.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Big 12 might well consider UCF just out of respect for The ConFLiCT. When you have a great tradition going back years (3 years to be exact) you just don't break it up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In all honesty, if the XII decided that they absolutely needed to expand into Florida, UCF is the best choice. Face it, the Seminoles are kingpins in their own league with no reason to move. Orlando, with its vacation destination & media infrastructure, is a perfect setting. Between UCF & USF, I've always felt that the Knights had the greater potential.

Both UCF and USF are giants in terms of growth potential. They are pumping out 10,000+ grads every year and their alumni base is growing- young but growing. Throw in a very fertile recruiting ground, large TV markets and easy infrastructure in/out for travel and someone is going to take a chance on them.

Neither one is threatening the Ivies for education quality, or UConn for that matter. Florida's university system is set up for feeder schools and and top tier schools. UF is #1 by a bunch, FSU is #2. Rather than have the regionals- USF, UCF, UNF (Jacksonville) or UWF (Pensacola) compete directly with UF and FSU, they have shared agreements. For example, you go three years pre-law at UNF, get accepted in to FSU's law school, complete your last year of pre-law on FSU campus and then go right in to law school. 3 years each at two different campuses but you don't need another law school at UNF. USF has similar agreements for their med school.

With that being said, both UCF and USF are available any time the B12 wants them. There isn't any chance of the SEC or ACC plucking either one of them any time soon. They are geographically isolated and surrounded. Sound familiar?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No mention of UConn and our TV market strength...because we are far and away the #1 choice for a B12N.

Jacobs should write something in reply to this to that affect.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
After a strong initial effort, our erstwhile media champion seems to have retired to navel-gazing and prodding local politicians over capital projects. Perhaps this will get the train moving again...

When it comes to Big 12 expansion, national media is ignorant about UCF

The Orlando Sentinel's UCF beat guy is bringing live ammunition to the expansion wars! He wants to cover Big 12 sports! He's ready! (Of course, he's also delusional.)

For the record, if we are betting on who covers this better with more homerism and betting on who has better sources, I'm putting a fat wad on Bianchi over Jacobs.

Reaction Score
Guys, if you relly think the decision from the Big 12 is based on whichever hometown newspaper columnist makes the most compelling argument, than I'd like to introduce you to my friend who is a deposed prince of Nigeria.

He's got a ton of money available and he's looking for foreign investors to funnel it to because the current government has put a freeze on his accounts.

Message me for more details.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll leave it at this.

I think the best strategic move is for the B12 to go to 14 and add UConn, Cincy, UCF and USF. Close out Florida and close out the Northeast and rust belt.

I don't know how well 14 works for scheduling.

Going to 14 may be a 5-7 year stagnation or slight reduction in money per team but it provides longer term stability and larger growth potential.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll leave it at this.

I think the best strategic move is for the B12 to go to 14 and add UConn, Cincy, UCF and USF. Close out Florida and close out the Northeast and rust belt.

Going to 14 may be a 5-7 year stagnation or slight reduction in money per team but it provides longer term stability and larger growth potential.

Agree with this. Markets, recruiting, brand value, year round B12N content...all addressed by this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll leave it at this.

I don't think they have even passing interest in USF. I really don't think they have any interest in going past 12. If they did, USF wouldn't make the cut. Houston or Memphis would be ahead of them (or BYU if they can sort out the various issues).

Reaction Score
or BYU if they can sort out the various issues.

Off topic but I would love to see what BYU and the NCAA would do if their women's basketball team made a run to the Final Four and what would happen with the national semis on Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Off topic but I would love to see what BYU and the NCAA would do if their women's basketball team made a run to the Final Four and what would happen with the national semis on Sunday night.

The committee makes every effort to seed BYU teams in the opening two weekends so that they won't be forced to play on Sundays. I honestly don't know what would happen in a Final Four situation for their woman's team.

I can't imagine that they could/would change the date of the game. There is so much money involved in the Final Four from the host city to the airtime that has been sold months in advance to advertisers. I just don't know how they could move it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think they have even passing interest in USF. I really don't think they have any interest in going past 12. If they did, USF wouldn't make the cut. Houston or Memphis would be ahead of them (or BYU if they can sort out the various issues).

The reason I include USF is that you put them in a different division than UCF guaranteeing all the B12 teams one game a year in Florida. Let UCF and USF have an annual crossover rivalry game. Plus, if USF is in a P5 conference any of their out of conference games against UF, FSU or Miami gives the B12 quality OOC games. Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure USF is more highly regarded academically than UCF. You take them as a pair to prevent any further competition in the area. Risk mitigation and you completely put Miami out on an island.

Reaction Score
I'll leave it at this.

This is a good take on UCF/USF. If the Big 12 actually had the vision to do that they would really help themselves moving forward. The conference has all the leverage. They can buy cheap and develop two growing brands. By having two schools in Florida it would make them a legitimate stakeholder in the state. Florida produces so much 1A Talent that plenty of it would overflow to places like ISU, KU, KSU aiding these low population states who currently depend too much on Texas to meet their needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom