Jeff Jacobs: Hey ESPN, What Can You Do For UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Hey ESPN, What Can You Do For UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APA

Reaction Score
According to an article on Oklahoma.scout, the "leading four" according to "multiple reports" are Memphis, Central Florida, Colorado State and Houston. Take it for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
Do you really think GE was going to donate $$$ for upgrading UConn facilties which the 1 needed for a bigger and better conference is on former UTC property? (GE's main engine competitor)??? The place is friggin called Pratt and Whitney Stadium. Uhhhh no, not a chance. Plus, UTC has givenway more $$$ to UConn than GE
In 2000, The Courant reported on one of GE's big UConn donations that, "With some 1,000 UConn alumni on its payroll, GE is proof that such investment is wise -- and ultimately good for the bottom line."

Reaction Score
In 2000, The Courant reported on one of GE's big UConn donations that, "With some 1,000 UConn alumni on its payroll, GE is proof that such investment is wise -- and ultimately good for the bottom line."

Which is why GE invested in UConn research and education initiatives/partnerships - not athletic infrastructure.

Reaction Score
According to an article on Oklahoma.scout, the "leading four" according to "multiple reports" are Memphis, Central Florida, Colorado State and Houston. Take it for what it's worth.

That's probably the old Jake Trotter story from last week...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

If accurate that's almost a death wish for the B12.

Yeah, if that's anywhere near true, that's a HUGE swing-and-miss (actually 4 swing-and-misses) for the B12 conference. Nowhere in this grouping is a school or athletic department that can support a $30M/yr buy-in or add any sort of value whatsoever to a B12 Network.

This kind of move would say one thing: the B12 is doing the bare minimum to create a Championship Game until it dissolves in the next 1-5 years. There would be no network that would come out of that grouping. Texas and Oklahoma have a foot out of the door and the remaining little fish need to do anything and everything possible to attach themselves to either one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If those were the leading 4 with no chance whatsoever, that might be believable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This dude has one other post and the crux of it says that UConn should pass on the B12 and wait for an ACC invite. His second post is this gem: the "obvious is confirmed" UConn should dump football if it doesn't get into the B12 in the upcoming weeks.

There are 3 conclusions:
1. we have a UConn fan that is terribly misinformed;
2. we have a fan of Cinci/USF/UCF/Memphis/Houston/BYU here trying like hell to devalue UConn and plant seeds of doubt on our board;
3. Nelson has multiple profiles

I don't think it's number 3. I really hope it's not number 1. My money...or, $$$...is on number 2.

Can you fund the $28 million subsidy every year? If so, UConn's problems are solved!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, if that's anywhere near true, that's a HUGE swing-and-miss (actually 4 swing-and-misses) for the B12 conference. Nowhere in this grouping is a school or athletic department that can support a $30M/yr buy-in or add any sort of value whatsoever to a B12 Network.

This kind of move would say one thing: the B12 is doing the bare minimum to create a Championship Game until it dissolves in the next 1-5 years. There would be no network that would come out of that grouping. Texas and Oklahoma have a foot out of the door and the remaining little fish need to do anything and everything possible to attach themselves to either one.

You are talking about a conference that makes the decision making of the old Big East look shrewd. Nothing these clown shoes do would shock me at this point. Personally I'm not convinced that all of the talk that Boren is doing now regarding expansion is simply not cover for them to bolt to The SEC or B1G in a few years. He'll say look we did everything we could to save it, but now we have to do what's best for us.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
You are talking about a conference that makes the decision making of the old Big East look shrewd. Nothing these clown shoes do would shock me at this point. Personally I'm not convinced that all of the talk that Boren is doing now regarding expansion is simply not cover for them to bolt to The SEC or B1G in a few years. He'll say look we did everything we could to save it, but now we have to do what's best for us.

I have thought this from the start. You may get expansion, you can definitely get a championship game, but to get Bevo to convert the LHN to the Big12 Network is about as unattainable as you can get. Boren knows it, Bevo knows it and the rest of the Big12 should know it.

BTW - I don't blame Texas one bit. They need to look after themselves and the LHN is in their best interest. Most of those schools would have been where UConn is with out them. If they can get their facilities upgraded in the next few years and remain solvent, they will enter their post Big12 with a leg up on most of the other G5 schools.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Fine by me.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight, it's fine by you?

image.jpg

Reaction Score
So let me see if I get this, the same GE that wouldn't accept a higher tax rate from a state in dire financial straits was somehow going to be convinced to write a blank check to get that state university into a different athletic conference?

Got it.

FWIW I'm not bitter at GE for leaving CT, they are a business, not a charity (just like I'm not necessarily angry at the state for not budging on their tax rate since they need the revenue).

But the idea that they could be convinced to help UConn's athletic department is hilariously terrible.

The state of CT does not "need the money". The state of CT NEEDS TO BE FAR MORE EFFICIENT AND BETTER STEWARDS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS!
Stop all the social welfare BS, greatly reduce State Pensions and Overly Generous Retirement Benefits for State workers. Let them contribute to their own retirements instead of having taxpayers foot the entire bill.
How much state $$ has been spent on bad roadwork (I-84 in Waterbury / Cheshire) or on faulty buildings? Plenty. How about all of the corruption in the State Government? What happened to all the extra money (hundreds upon hundreds of millions) we got from the Indians over these many years? What ever happened to the "temporary status" of CT's State Income Tax?
This is all why I cant wait to get the hell out of CT and why people are leaving in droves. Several extremely wealthy people have left Greenwich (with more on the way) and this lost income has greatly contributed to the state's fiscal / budget problem.
Cut back on all the welfare and freebies to lazy dirt bags who don't contribute to society and only want freebies. By stopping with the waste, the state would right the ship and possibly reduce the tax burden on residents and businesses and make it a more attractive place to live and even attract new businesses.

Reaction Score
The state of CT does not "need the money". The state of CT NEEDS TO BE FAR MORE EFFICIENT AND BETTER STEWARDS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS!
Stop all the social welfare BS, greatly reduce State Pensions and Overly Generous Retirement Benefits for State workers. Let them contribute to their own retirements instead of having taxpayers foot the entire bill.
How much state $$ has been spent on bad roadwork (I-84 in Waterbury / Cheshire) or on faulty buildings? Plenty. How about all of the corruption in the State Government? What happened to all the extra money (hundreds upon hundreds of millions) we got from the Indians over these many years? What ever happened to the "temporary status" of CT's State Income Tax?
This is all why I cant wait to get the hell out of CT and why people are leaving in droves. Several extremely wealthy people have left Greenwich (with more on the way) and this lost income has greatly contributed to the state's fiscal / budget problem.
Cut back on all the welfare and freebies to lazy dirt bags who don't contribute to society and only want freebies. By stopping with the waste, the state would right the ship and possibly reduce the tax burden on residents and businesses and make it a more attractive place to live and even attract new businesses.

Take it easy, Hannity.

You can get as lean and efficient as possible, but if you're not collecting revenue you're going to perpetually run a deficit. You can't cut your way to a surplus.

Reaction Score

This should be on the Cesspool board. I don't want to read these rants on the Conference Realignment board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom