Jeff Jacobs: Hey ESPN, What Can You Do For UConn? | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Hey ESPN, What Can You Do For UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
JJ's AOL account must be slow. I think it's still 2005 in his computer.

I don't nor should anyone expect ESPN to do any heavy lifting to get UConn into a conference. They are a business and having them in CT is an economic boost.

That said, I would have also expected them not to deliberately screw UConn as the Big East was collapsing. They clearly could have insisted that based on numbers alone the ACC should have approached us over Pitt and Cuse.

I'm not putting BC or UL on them. Those were different situations.

Reaction Score
FedEx is a business and gives TN a huge economic boost..

The obvious difference between FedEx and ESPN is that ESPN makes their money by doing business with the Power 5 conferences.

Just don't see them coming out and being overtly vocal about the benefits of adding UConn to the Big 12... Behind the scenes hopefully is another story...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Optics.

While ESPN can't and won't push to have the B12 add UConn, the optics are really bad for ESPN if it pays up to add ANY lesser schools.

That won't go over very well at all.

1000% this. ESPN shouldn't have to lobby publicly for UConn. The metrics data support themselves - UConn is the top choice for markets, ratings, academics, AD budget, brand value, athletic success, etc. UConn has the data to support a $30M/yr buy-in on its own without any help from a corporate sugar daddy. The B12's TV deal with ESPN runs through 2025 so even if the conference does expand without creating a B12N, you still have to pay the new incoming schools at the same $20-$30M/yr rate of the current members. What other G5 schools, besides maybe BYU, has that kind of value? Answer: None. I guess that's where FedEx would help Memphis or GE would help Cincinnati...to make up the millions that they fall short of the $20-$30M/yr value buy-in. But ESPN will ultimately have to agree to pay this kind of money to these schools and that's where they would hold some leverage. They can simply say that no schools other than UConn or BYU are worth that kind of money. And they'd be right. And hopefully that will be enough for the smart folks inside the B12 to figure out that they want no part of giving their kind of money to schools and ADs that simply aren't worthy of it.

Reaction Score
it was notable to hear JJ confirm the obvious; UCONN goes P5 (and soon) or retrenchment, i.e. football goes bye bye.

You got that out of this?

>>If ESPN doesn't think Connecticut is worthy of a spot at the big boys Power Five table, maybe it should tell Gov. Malloy or Susan Herbst and the school can begin thinking seriously about devaluing its football program and getting basketball back in the Big East.<<

Reaction Score
1000% this. ESPN shouldn't have to lobby publicly for UConn. The metrics data support themselves - UConn is the top choice for markets, ratings, academics, AD budget, brand value, athletic success, etc. UConn has the data to support a $30M/yr buy-in on its own without any help from a corporate sugar daddy. The B12's TV deal with ESPN runs through 2025 so even if the conference does expand without creating a B12N, you still have to pay the new incoming schools at the same $20-$30M/yr rate of the current members. What other G5 schools, besides maybe BYU, has that kind of value? Answer: None. I guess that's where FedEx would help Memphis or GE would help Cincinnati...to make up the millions that they fall short of the $20-$30M/yr value buy-in. But ESPN will ultimately have to agree to pay this kind of money to these schools and that's where they would hold some leverage. They can simply say that no schools other than UConn or BYU are worth that kind of money. And they'd be right. And hopefully that will be enough for the smart folks inside the B12 to figure out that they want no part of giving their kind of money to schools and ADs that simply aren't worthy of it.

Agreed - but, what the hell, somebody should throw it on the wall. JJ is the perfect foil for those who make reasoned and persuasive arguments on our behalf. Nobody at ESPN believes UConn is behind this at all. We should and will make the P-5 on own merit. If any good comes of it, maybe it will be that ESPN stays neutral which after their alleged conduct in 2011 (see DeFilippo comments) might be a break for us.

Reaction Score
Before anyone posts about ESPN money woes, they should have had CNBC on last week talking about Disney earnings. Yes they mentioned the problems at ESPN, but the consensus was that they are still a great asset for the mouse and well positioned for the future. Specifically, they mentioned live television and content as pluses for the mouse

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

>>If ESPN doesn't think Connecticut is worthy of a spot at the big boys Power Five table, maybe it should tell Gov. Malloy or Susan Herbst and the school can begin thinking seriously about devaluing its football program and getting basketball back in the Big East.<<

This dude has one other post and the crux of it says that UConn should pass on the B12 and wait for an ACC invite. His second post is this gem: the "obvious is confirmed" UConn should dump football if it doesn't get into the B12 in the upcoming weeks.

There are 3 conclusions:
1. we have a UConn fan that is terribly misinformed;
2. we have a fan of Cinci/USF/UCF/Memphis/Houston/BYU here trying like hell to devalue UConn and plant seeds of doubt on our board;
3. Nelson has multiple profiles

I don't think it's number 3. I really hope it's not number 1. My money...or, $$$...is on number 2.

Reaction Score

Yes I did. but its more than just his two cents: the fiscal state of the state is REALLY bad. Gov M is even standing up to his union buddies out of necessity. We should not expect the past levels of support going forward at the very least. I want us to get this done as much as anyone here, just sayin the economics are not going to save us for long w/o an invite.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This dude has one other post and the crux of it says that UConn should pass on the B12 and wait for an ACC invite. His second post is this gem: the "obvious is confirmed" UConn should dump football if it doesn't get into the B12 in the upcoming weeks.

There are 3 conclusions:
1. we have a UConn fan that is terribly misinformed;
2. we have a fan of Cinci/USF/UCF/Memphis/Houston/BYU here trying like hell to devalue UConn and plant seeds of doubt on our board;
3. Nelson has multiple profiles

I don't think it's number 3. I really hope it's not number 1. My money...or, $$$...is on number 2.

There are too many uninformed UConn fans. Just look at the dumpster fire that was the "Big 12 possible" thread on the Women's board. Even some of the men's hoop fans fail to understand what matters to realignment, and that UConn's football program isn't the basket-case that too many idiots in the media suggest.

That said, since it was a new poster...definitely #2. Almost all of them are ignorant as hell.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You know, kudos to Jeff for keeping his word and staying on the issue. I think he drinks the Memphis Koolaid a bit in what FedEx is or isn't offering (perhaps they'll sponsor the Big 12 CCG in football, the $500M is just a pie in the sky promise to do upgrade facilities) but overall he makes some good points.

Reaction Score
You know, kudos to Jeff for keeping his word and staying on the issue. I think he drinks the Memphis Koolaid a bit in what FedEx is or isn't offering (perhaps they'll sponsor the Big 12 CCG in football, the $500M is just a pie in the sky promise to do upgrade facilities) but overall he makes some good points.

Agree, much better than Desi Lou

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Al Davis said it best: Just win, baby.

If UConn wins, everything will work out.

Reaction Score
Never mind ESPN. If the governor had not pressured GE -- which led to their HQ departure from CT -- they could have funded massive amounts of money for UConn sports, as well as research. But now they are looking for partnerships with Boston region schools. Great going Malloy! NOT

Reaction Score
Absolutely in no defense of our misguided governor, but I don't recall GE rushing to step-up in the past in support of UCONN sports.
Jacobs is following-up on his stated resolution to help get us into a power conference. Should we fault him for that?

Reaction Score
Fed Ex couldn't convince the Big East Memphis had enough value but they have literally have one good football season and now they deserve to be in an even better football conference? I really am starting to hate college sports and realignment has turned fans into total DoucheNugs.

Reaction Score
Yo that comment on the article about how JJ should be writing about the heroin deaths in Stamford instead of hying UConn is peak Courant comment section only to then be topped by how he should be writing about "Stewies" WNBA debut. Viva la CT

Reaction Score
Never mind ESPN. If the governor had not pressured GE -- which led to their HQ departure from CT -- they could have funded massive amounts of money for UConn sports, as well as research. But now they are looking for partnerships with Boston region schools. Great going Malloy! NOT

So let me see if I get this, the same GE that wouldn't accept a higher tax rate from a state in dire financial straits was somehow going to be convinced to write a blank check to get that state university into a different athletic conference?

Got it.

FWIW I'm not bitter at GE for leaving CT, they are a business, not a charity (just like I'm not necessarily angry at the state for not budging on their tax rate since they need the revenue).

But the idea that they could be convinced to help UConn's athletic department is hilariously terrible.

Reaction Score
From
So let me see if I get this, the same GE that wouldn't accept a higher tax rate from a state in dire financial straits was somehow going to be convinced to write a blank check to get that state university into a different athletic conference?

Got it.

FWIW I'm not bitter at GE for leaving CT, they are a business, not a charity (just like I'm not necessarily angry at the state for not budging on their tax rate since they need the revenue).

But the idea that they could be convinced to help UConn's athletic department is hilariously terrible.

Not any funnier than FedEx supporting Memphis.

Here is some relevant news over the last two decades. There is much more out there which shows the company's generosity before GE bolted for Boston:

From 2009 GE Collaborates with UConn on $7.5 Million Advanced Technology Initiative

From 2000 The University of Connecticut and General Electric are forming a partnership that will allow engineering and business students and faculty members to work with G.E. executives to develop advanced computer and Internet-based products.

Reaction Score
From

Not any funnier than FedEx supporting Memphis.

Here is some relevant news over the last two decades. There is much more out there which shows the company's generosity before GE bolted for Boston:

From 2009 GE Collaborates with UConn on $7.5 Million Advanced Technology Initiative

From 2000 The University of Connecticut and General Electric are forming a partnership that will allow engineering and business students and faculty members to work with G.E. executives to develop advanced computer and Internet-based products.

Yes, and that is why everyone is laughing at the idea of FedEx actually ponying up $$$ on behalf of Memphis.

And the examples you are giving are research partnerships with a University that will end up benefiting the company in not only recruiting but in R&D. Actions that will help make them more money.

A little different than slapping the GE logo on a Big 12 title game.

Reaction Score
Do you really think GE was going to donate $$$ for upgrading UConn facilties which the 1 needed for a bigger and better conference is on former UTC property? (GE's main engine competitor)??? The place is friggin called Pratt and Whitney Stadium. Uhhhh no, not a chance. Plus, UTC has givenway more $$$ to UConn than GE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger