Jason Sylva Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jason Sylva Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From tonight:

@LongJohnSylva44: Yes I am going to UMASS but these articles all saying i'm 6'2 224 lol i'm 6'3 254 lol that was from soph year in HS

@LongJohnSylva44: I'm VERY excited about my decision, and look forward to making my dream a reality out of my home state school #UMASS

Reaction Score
I'm gonna make an assumption that admissions may have been an issue here.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how Rutgers, an AAU school and academically on par with UConn....not only gets in academically borderline kids (Britt, Logan Ryan, Harrison, etc.) but keeps them eligible with no blips.

Sometimes I just wish we would either put on our big boy pants or just rebuild Memorial.

The ghost of Nate Miles lives.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna make an assumption that admissions may have been an issue here.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how Rutgers, an AAU school and academically on par with UConn....not only gets in academically borderline kids (Britt, Logan Ryan, Harrison, etc.) but keeps them eligible with no blips.

Sometimes I just wish we would either put on our big boy pants or just rebuild Memorial.

The ghost of Nate Miles lives.

With his apparent academic struggles, I think they just recruited over him with Graham Stewart (RS Soph) and Cory Jasudowich (Frosh)/Junior Joseph (Frosh). JS would only have two years of eligibility if he ever made his way to campus (Remember he committed in 2011 and LOI in 2/12).

Reaction Score
With his apparent academic struggles, I think they just recruited over him with Graham Stewart (RS Soph) and Cory Jasudowich (Frosh)/Junior Joseph (Frosh). JS would only have two years of eligibility if he ever made his way to campus (Remember he committed in 2011 and LOI in 2/12).

You might be right about this particular instance, I have no idea.

But we have to find a way to get kids like Harrison through admissions and keep them eligible.

Reaction Score
Hicks too, seemed about the same size.

Reaction Score
Per Sylva, he's up to 6'3" and ~255; that's not ideal size for a backer in this day and age of the spread O (unless he has 4.7 speed; in which case he would not be headed to UMass). He may end up w/a hand in the ground. Regardless, I wish him well.

But I wholeheartedly agree that we need to revisit academic requirements. RU gets lauded for getting kids to color in between the lines, and we act like we are Harvard. Heck, it's not just RU, it's everyone of the P5 AAU schools. Somewhere in between might be more ideal.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm very uneducated when it comes to this topic. How can we bitch that other schools have more lax acceptance requirements for student athletes when most all of them have the AAU accreditation that UConn is still trying to achieve?

U

UConn9604

I'm very uneducated when it comes to this topic. How can we bitch that other schools have more lax acceptance requirements for student athletes when most all of them have the AAU accreditation that UConn is still trying to achieve?

It goes back to that old quote from Randy, when he said that UConn had the toughest academic standards of anywhere that he had ever coached, except Georgia Tech, which drew plenty of snark from BC and Syracuse fans. Those schools (and any private school, really) lower the bar for athletes or whomever they want.

We may have a slightly lower bar for the average student than BC does, but we don't bend it for athletes as deeply as they do.

Reaction Score
???

Papa Sylv@LongJohnSylva44 Protected account 8h
to the guys in boneyard speculating why not UCONN, It IS NOT an academic issue, they still have an offer to me and Coach P called me Friday

desmondconner 9:06am via Twitter for iPhone
#UConnFootball .. Dean JC LB Jason Sylva not quite a lock to #UMass just yet. #UConn still in picture

Great, hopefully he keeps his options open. There is still a long way to go before February. We all know Smallwood is likely to turn pro. If we have a great year and the new league takes off maybe he changes his mind.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hope he plays for us in the end....

Reaction Score
Per Sylva, he's up to 6'3" and ~255; that's not ideal size for a backer in this day and age of the spread O (unless he has 4.7 speed; in which case he would not be headed to UMass). He may end up w/a hand in the ground. Regardless, I wish him well.

Papa Sylv@LongJohnSylva44 Protected account 9h
and i run a sub 4.7 at 6'3 255 and a 3 down backer....i can cover spread as good as any backer lol yal are funny

Reaction Score
Interesting that a UMass commit is reading the BY, and responding.

Like I said, I wish you well in whichever path you choose.

Reaction Score

Admissions standards are almost entirely unrelated to AAU accreditation, which is mostly about research dollars.

Reaction Score
What I would say to Jason (trying to avoid all recruiting violations here).......We are all big UCONN supporters here Jason. Forgive us if we assumed that it must be academic issues if you choose UMASS over UCONN. It's really the only thing that makes sense. UCONN is a great place to be to fulfill your academic and athletic goals.........MUCH better than UMASS....The 2014 team has a chance to be unbelievably talented with or without you...Obviously, We all hope its with you..You are a hell of a talent, so get on aboard with squad. #huskynation #bleedhuskyblue...... Coaches turnover all the time, Coach Hughes has been a fixture here and will teach you just as well if not better than anyone at UMASS or anyone last named Brown........oh and it's way better to be a Husky than a minutemen...

Reaction Score
We're all thinking it, but i'll just say it.....

Is this HFD's way of revealing who he really is....???

Reaction Score
From tonight:

@LongJohnSylva44: Yes I am going to UMASS but these articles all saying i'm 6'2 224 lol i'm 6'3 254 lol that was from soph year in HS

@LongJohnSylva44: I'm VERY excited about my decision, and look forward to making my dream a reality out of my home state school #UMASS

For those who followed the saga...

BobMcGovernJr10:46am via Web
#UMass commit Jason Sylva (LB, Dean College) tweeted that he will take an official visit to Western Michigan this weekend.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
As we say in CT, "Hit the books or hit the road."
As they say in NC, "Take African study classes and get free rent a cars."

what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Reaction Score
what exactly is that supposed to mean?
I'm guessing this is a reference to the bastion of higher learning that is UNC-they had the professor running a fake "African Studies" department that pumped tons of athletes through fake classes. They got off completely free from the frauds in the NCAA because a few random students took these fake classes as well so it wasn't considered a "benefit" given to athletes. So, it's ok if the entire school is a fraud-something the NCAA is fine with apparently by their decision to not punish UNC for this.

Take home message: you can get away with anything for your athletes academically as an institution of "higher learning", as long as you make sure the benefit doesn't go 100% to athletes-only 98%.

Reaction Score
For those who followed the saga...

BobMcGovernJr10:46am via Web
#UMass commit Jason Sylva (LB, Dean College) tweeted that he will take an official visit to Western Michigan this weekend.

Four4Bulldog5:48pm via Mobile Web (M5)
My recruiting process is OVER for good and im satisfied with my direction! Sorry to the people iv let down with my decision, but if you

Four4Bulldog5:49pm via Mobile Web (M5)
Really support and respect me, youll understand i know whats best for me !

Four4Bulldog5:57pm via Mobile Web (M5)
Join a top 40 recruiting class n the Nation and #1 class in the MAC, PERECT oppertunity and fit. Western Michigan University Bronco #ROW

Edit add:

WMURivals7:01pm via Web
#WMUFootball has received a verbal commitment from former #UConn & #UMasscommit '14 (LB) Jason Sylva (Franklin, MA)sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69