Jannah Tucker De-commits from Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jannah Tucker De-commits from Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Normally, I would agree. But the timing of her decision, just before she is due to sign her LOI, and with so little time left to hook up somewhere else before another LOI has to be signed, tells me this is more than a kid changing her mind. And for the record, I am not buying the "package deal to LV's" speculation.

Well, it's late in the early signing period, but she has until April to make her decision.

Reaction Score
Normally, I would agree. But the timing of her decision, just before she is due to sign her LOI, and with so little time left to hook up somewhere else before another LOI has to be signed, tells me this is more than a kid changing her mind.

Agreed. Other than the line "before another LOI has to be signed."
She could wait for the spring signing period. Less common for the women than the men, but it does happen.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Agreed. Other than the line "before another LOI has to be signed."
She could wait for the spring signing period. Less common for the women than the men, but it does happen.

IMO, she knows where she is going, why she wants to go there, and who she wants to play with.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Impossible, Nan, the Boneyard over think something? Say it ain't so.

LOL

We're not the ONLY ones. Let's see how long it takes for the "Conspiracy Theorists" to blame this on Geno.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't care how anyone spins this. It's not a good thing for Tennessee.

Look at this article.

"In the bigger picture, Tucker's pledge means more than simply replacing the perimeter scoring of the program's upperclassmen. It stabilizes what many of the perennial SEC power program's competitors hoped was weakness and opportunity to surpass Rocky Top quickly. While one player doesn't mean that the program will ascend to the very peak of the game, it does mean passing them up will have to be earned."

Reaction Score
Kaela Davis got so much criticism for decommitting but she had a legitimate reason the coach she wanted to play for had a serious illness and ended up retiring. Tucker's reasoning for decommitting does not make much sense unless she foresaw UT getting some more players she did not see herself mixing in well with. If UT gets Davis or Russell this won't matter but if they don't then it could really hurt

Reaction Score
This is pretty shocking considering that UT, in my opinion, is still a great program (and typing this hurts people, I’m a hardcore UConn fan till the end). I do think it probably had to do with playing time, but still. The experience alone to play at UTenn is a great experience for any player. That’s why I love the Uconn system because the players that choose Uconn, regardless of their position, they are willing to fight for minutes, and that’s what makes a good team great. Morgan Tuck could of easily have gone to another top school and be on their starting lineup her freshman year. Instead, she chose to be in a team with Breanna Stewart, Kiah Stokes, and Stephanie Dolson. Now that's what i call a fearless player, to be in a team where you literally have to fight for minutes.

Reaction Score
Very interesting reading the theories, heres one that you guys haven't thought of, let's say a player (not Jannah) was on an official visit last week and it was said that she would be used out of position, let's say the 4 spot. Let's say she has been understating her size at 6'0 for a couple years because normally 6'2" players are moved closer to the box rather than to the perimeter. Let's imagine that her entire career has been managed maticulously as a peremeter player. Now let's pretend she has a season ending injury and on said visit several other players in the class are being slated at the peremeter and the roster is not looking deep at the post and you have a week to make a decision that goes against your tendency. Maybe a kid or parent would want to look at other options. I also have a theory of what schools that player may be looking at, however it's all theory.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am not getting the idea that she is worried about playing time. She is the top recruit from that class signed with UT! They aren't particularly deep, and I would have to imagine that she would play a lot, and right away. Even if they did sign a couple of other top girls from that class, there would still be tons of playing time available.

My theory is that she committed too early, on a weekend visit where she had a great time, and once she stepped back and looked at the landscape for the next few years, she saw that Tennessee wasn't where she wanted to be for the next few years.

I get how Tennessee fans want to spin this in their favor, but I can't see this as anything but a negative for them. Two decommits from the same class, both in the top 10? Yeah, there is literally nothing positive about that.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Very interesting reading the theories, heres one that you guys haven't thought of, let's say a player (not Jannah) was on an official visit last week and it was said that she would be used out of position, let's say the 4 spot. Let's say she has been understating her size at 6'0 for a couple years because normally 6'2" players are moved closer to the box rather than to the perimeter. Let's imagine that her entire career has been managed maticulously as a peremeter player. Now let's pretend she has a season ending injury and on said visit several other players in the class are being slated at the peremeter and the roster is not looking deep at the post and you have a week to make a decision that goes against your tendency. Maybe a kid or parent would want to look at other options. I also have a theory of what schools that player may be looking at, however it's all theory.
I know this was a hypothetical but Jannah was not on an official at TN last weekend because she was recoveryIng from her ACL injury. Maybe that was a sign of bad things to come. She was going to visit in Nov.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You guys are forgetting who they had visiting this past weekend - #1 Russell, #2-3 Davis, #8-10 Scaife, and then 2 lower rated recruits... I think it's one of things.

1. She just felt it wasn't right for her after letting everything settle and changed her mind, much like other recruits have often done
  2. She feels Tennessee isn't going to land any of the top kids and didn't want to be part of such a weak class
  3. She felt Tennessee was going to land Russell, Davis, and Scaife and the level of competition was too much for her in her opinion
  4. Something else happened that soured her on Tennessee - something with the AD, coaches, or something
I suspect it's neither 2 nor 3. If i had to guess, i'd say it's #1.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know this was a hypothetical but Jannah was not on an official at TN last weekend because she was recoveryIng from her ACL injury. Maybe that was a sign of bad things to come. She was going to visit in Nov.

Just change it to say that said player was texting with one of the players on said visit.

Curious...but what is your take on this?

Any other Tennessee fans care to chime in? Would love to hear your theories.

sTu

Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck could of easily have gone to another top school and be on their starting lineup her freshman year. Instead, she chose to be in a team with Breanna Stewart, Kiah Stokes, and Stephanie Dolson. Now that's what i call a fearless player, to be in a team where you literally have to fight for minutes. [/quote]

I believe Morgan was the first of her class to verbal 11/17/10. Stewart 1/31/11.

Reaction Score
Wow, just about every possible scenario has been covered, from the totally absurd to the most down to earth. After reading them all I'd have to say that most (not all) could be possible. How about this, what if she knows that most of the other top recruits plan on attending somewhere other than TN? Maybe she doesn't want to be the "lone ranger" so to speak and would rather be part of something bigger.
There, now I think we have every possible theory covered.

Reaction Score
Making a decision of what university to attend is a life changing decision that is made even more complicated for D1 athletes. There are many factors that go into the decision (coaching staff, players, playing time, injuries, facilities, campus, academics, location etc.) This is a teenage girl who made her decision before she was ready. She deserves to weigh her options and look elsewhere. If I am to speculate one thing, I think that her injury has something to do with this decision. ACL tears are serious and a comeback requires a lot of work. If in terms of fear of losing playing time, she may not have a lot of confidence at the moment. However, looking at Doty, anything is possible. Also, if the TN program showed little interest in the injury, while Tuck is mentoring her, that can have a huge impact on an emotionally unstable player.

There are so many factors that led to this decision, and I'm sure this was not an easy thing to do, especially in the eye of the WCBB media world. Tucker will end up where she wants to be and where she is meant to be and hopefully she succeeds there.

I wouldn't mind if that place were Storrs.

Reaction Score
Goodness, a UConn fan actually willing to pay up to check out their board ...
I can find little evidence for jumping to this conclusion. Like, have you his credit card statements, dude?

Reaction Score
This is a huge decision for these kids. So many people to satisfy - coaches, parents, friends. It can't help to know that the fan bases of a number of programs watch their every move, follow their tweets, psychoanalyze their every comment and action. These are teenagers, torn in many different directions, and what seems like the right decision one minute can seem overwhelmingly wrong the next. For whatever reason, she is rethinking her decision. I hope she can find the place that will be right for her.

Reaction Score
This will be a very good sign or a very bad sign for UT. If too many other top notch recruits have decided to go to Tennessee than maybe Tucker didn't want to keep the commitment and compete for time, or it could be that the transition at UT is not as smooth as everyone wanted it to be.

I find it hard to believe that the #8 player in any class decommitted because they were afraid to compete. It has to be the mess that cannot be covered in Knoxville....the coaching staff

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Remember that little point that disturbed me, that Pat was going to attend all practices, maybe the shine is off that system.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can find little evidence for jumping to this conclusion. Like, have you his credit card statements, dude?

If he was talking about Stray Cat, it's clear that poster has access to The Summitt.

Reaction Score
I can find no rationale for this being good news.

MSF: certainly understand your comment. At the same time, I have this persistent feeling that it MIGHT turn out to be good news in Storrs. :) We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom