Jan 21: Baylor vs WV Televised Game MSG-Plus 2PM | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jan 21: Baylor vs WV Televised Game MSG-Plus 2PM

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WV was not intimidated by Baylor's size. They drove to the basket multiple times. Impressive. I bet they move up some in the rankings.

IMHO, Baylor is fairly pedestrian defensively, shooting and in their offensive schemes but their offensive rebounding is tough and can really imperil UConn both on the scoreboard and with fouls.

On the bright side, once Baylor got Montgomery in foul trouble, I thought they would fold but they did not. WV actually had more offensive rebounds than Baylor (16-14). WV played with great effort. Kudos

Cox is still not ready for prime time but Cave, Brown and Mompremier are all tough.

Nina Davis looked pretty good but UConn knows how to deal with her. The other guards and wings were ok but
I think WV outplayed them

I was really impressed by the sportsmanship of Kim Mulkey. Very positive things to say about their opponent unlike some other
coaches I might name :rolleyes:

I hope we play them in the FF in their own back yard. Natalie will need to bring it. It will be fun. :D:D

Oddly enough, Mompremier has had her playing time cut recently due to the play of Cox. This was not a good offensive performance by Cox but she provided some fairly nice defense around the rim.

If you want to see how good Baylor is with player development, just look at Cave. She was not even ranked in the top 100 coming out of high school and I had my doubts about her in the beginning, but she has really turned into a good player and adds a lot of value to the team. I suspect that Cox will develop similarly when she gets more time under her belt.

I was extremely impressed by WVU in this game. This game was close and not because Baylor stank up the place, but because WVU brought their A-game today.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Beyond the Baylor - UConn game, this game vs WV shows that Baylor is not invincible. They are still very much the favorites to win the Big12, but an upset is certainly a possibility.

That is true. Baylor plays in a good conference that has 5 teams ranked in the top 25. And I hope that Baylor has more games like that as they will only benefit from having to dig down deep and fight it out against a good opponent. These types of games are what the Big 12 and Baylor need.

Reaction Score
Will depend on foul trouble and injuries. If UCONN goes into the game with a six player rotation I like Baylor's chances.
Did you like their chances the first time they played?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Baylor just a +4 on the boards after coming in averaging +25. That is their bread and butter.

They won at the line. FT attempts 26-13, makes 20-9.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was really impressed by the sportsmanship of Kim Mulkey. Very positive things to say about their opponent unlike some other coaches I might name :rolleyes:

I hope we play them in the FF in their own back yard. Natalie will need to bring it. It will be fun. :D:D

Where did you see Mulkey's postgame comments?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oddly enough, Mompremier has had her playing time cut recently due to the play of Cox. This was not a good offensive performance by Cox but she provided some fairly nice defense around the rim.

If you want to see how good Baylor is with player development, just look at Cave. She was not even ranked in the top 100 coming out of high school and I had my doubts about her in the beginning, but she has really turned into a good player and adds a lot of value to the team. I suspect that Cox will develop similarly when she gets more time under her belt.

I was extremely impressed by WVU in this game. This game was close and not because Baylor stank up the place, but because WVU brought their A-game today.

Giving Cox so much time to me was a little strange to me but seems to fit Mulkey's approach of giving her top recruits significant minutes. To my eye, Cox played up and down defensively. She had 4 blocks but was also beaten numerous times on drives to the basket. Still, I am sure Cox will be tough by tournament time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Where did you see Mulkey's postgame comments?

My comments were based on her half time interview as well as the warm appreciation and hugs she gave the coach and the WV players during the walk off.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yep, that one call basically cost them the game.

When you're West Virginia playing at Waco, and a horrible no-call denies you a rebound that would've allowed you to continue cutting the lead to 1 or 2 points with about 3:00 to play, it's pretty costly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When you're West Virginia playing at Waco, and a horrible no-call denies you a rebound that would've allowed you to continue cutting the lead to 1 or 2 points with about 3:00 to play, it's pretty costly.

There was also a play where a WVU post player "blocked out" sending a Baylor player to the floor, but instead of that being called they called a foul on Wallace. Wallace did foul but had the call been made under the basket WVU would not have gotten the ball.

Bad calls even out, it's just sometimes easier to see the bad call that is made late in the game. Remember that HORRIBLE technical foul called on Alexis Prince at the end of the UCONN game. Probably not.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Will depend on foul trouble and injuries. If UCONN goes into the game with a six player rotation I like Baylor's chances.

Without injuries, I think we have established a 7 man rotation. Natalie Butler and Crystal Dangerfield will get good minutes. Of course foul trouble scares UConn and Geno most of all. If the refs play it tight, it will be really hard. Hopefully, the refs would let
the teams play in a FF environment.

It was really sad watching how we had to play the second half against MD when we had so much foul trouble on the front line. We were basically forced to allow them to drive to the basket with only token resistance. Together with Slocum having a great game.

What saved us is that we really ran good offensive sets and shot well most of the time.

Like I said, bring it on.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There was also a play where a WVU post player "blocked out" sending a Baylor player to the floor, but instead of that being called they called a foul on Wallace. Wallace did foul but had the call been made under the basket WVU would not have gotten the ball.

Bad calls even out, it's just sometimes easier to see the bad call that is made late in the game. Remember that HORRIBLE technical foul called on Alexis Prince at the end of the UCONN game. Probably not.

I'm a big believer that calls tend to even out, and it's weak-minded to blame the officiating. But I didn't even have a dog in this fight. If anything I want Baylor to run the table so that they get the #2 overall seed. I saw questionable calls go both ways in this game, but that one no-call was both egregious and impactful on the momentum at a crucial time.

The technical foul on Prince was called with UConn up by 10 with a minute to play. Not so impactful on the outcome. Never mind the fact that she actually did initiate the contact that was embellished by Nurse.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I think some of their improvement may be hampered by seemingly odd line ups. I think Mulkey is really trying to use all of her talent.

Reaction Score
Just curious how (provider or stream) you folks watched this game. I saw that the game was at 2:00PM but my I didn't see it listed in my guide. I have Comc__p's top package but no MSG Plus. I did find it scheduled to air at 5:00PM on FCS Atlantic (ch 262) but when I tuned to that channel Comc__p says they no longer carry that channel but will stream it sometime in the future. Great! Also noticed that they dropped two other FCS channels as well. This after they just increased the Regional Sports fee $2.00 per month. Figures!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Without injuries, I think we have established a 7 man rotation. Natalie Butler and Crystal Dangerfield will get good minutes. Of course foul trouble scares UConn and Geno most of all. If the refs play it tight, it will be really hard. Hopefully, the refs would let
the teams play in a FF environment.

It was really sad watching how we had to play the second half against MD when we had so much foul trouble on the front line. We were basically forced to allow them to drive to the basket with only token resistance. Together with Slocum having a great game.

What saved us is that we really ran good offensive sets and shot well most of the time.

Like I said, bring it on.
I believe going to a zone for a while would have prevented so many layups and protected those in foul trouble. It has helped before.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm a big believer that calls tend to even out, and it's weak-minded to blame the officiating. But I didn't even have a dog in this fight. If anything I want Baylor to run the table so that they get the #2 overall seed. I saw questionable calls go both ways in this game, but that one no-call was both egregious and impactful on the momentum at a crucial time.

The technical foul on Prince was called with UConn up by 10 with a minute to play. Not so impactful on the outcome. Never mind the fact that she actually did initiate the contact that was embellished by Nurse.

I agree that it didn't impact the outcome, but it certainly had an impact on the final score, which everyone seems to use to compare the strength of other teams. Without that call it is most likely a single digit win.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I agree that it didn't impact the outcome, but it certainly had an impact on the final score, which everyone seems to use to compare the strength of other teams. Without that call it is most likely a single digit win.

Uh, well, I don't do that. That's a variant of the transitive property, which in sports doesn't work.

Baylor was actually more competitive with UConn than Maryland was, even though its final deficit was a little larger. Just to give an example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom