Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn) | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is more gifted than Kemba, Shabazz, or Boatright, coming in as a freshman. He has great court vision, atleticism, creativity, and swag. He is a winner, who likes to take over during crunch time. He played against great competion, while playing at Brewster this year.
He needs to work on his outside shot and finishing with his left hand. I predict him to be a 2 or 3 year player at UCONN, before entering the NBA draft.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is more gifted than Kemba, Shabazz, or Boatright

9615315c6572b9b8adaf45db536c6b3fd5153d388070fb9ea9ff55cefcf631ba.jpg

Reaction Score
Whenever I get a hankering to swim in an ocean full of stupidity, I always know where the kiosk is to book my ticket.

image.jpg

Reaction Score
From what i've seen and heard this kid is something special. He'll need to come in right away and be a key piece of this team. He doesn't need to be a kemba or shabazz this year, but he will need to be the ball handler and facilitator. I don't think the pressure will get to him. Really though his success will come if purvis and hamilton play better and make better shot selections next year. Both a very talented but their shot selection and settling for some god awful shots this season definitely hurt us.

Obviously as a husky fan we should all be very excited for jalen adams coming to Uconn, but we must also realize that he will be a freshman and coming to a husky team that needs to fix their problems (which i think they will). Temper your expectations for him individually, but he will be a key piece in what appears to be a solid squad next season.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is more gifted than Kemba, Shabazz, or Boatright, coming in as a freshman. He has great court vision, atleticism, creativity, and swag. He is a winner, who likes to take over during crunch time. He played against great competion, while playing at Brewster this year.
He needs to work on his outside shot and finishing with his left hand. I predict him to be a 2 or 3 year player at UCONN, before entering the NBA draft.

You do know that he was playing against high school players.

caw

Reaction Score
he and Trimble are not really similar players. I'm very impressed (as most should be) with Trimble this year but he and Adams have very different games.

They both have good handles abd similar heights. Trimble appears much stronger but with less hops. Trimble also appears to be a better 3pt shooter and makes up for less athleticism with very good footwork. Adams and Trimble both have good body control though Adams displays his while in the air and Trimble with his footwork. If Adams wants to have as good a year as Trimble he will need to get stronger and improve his shot this summer (it looks much better this past year in high school). Just my opinion though.

Reaction Score
he and Trimble are not really similar players. I'm very impressed (as most should be) with Trimble this year but he and Adams have very different games.

They both have good handles abd similar heights. Trimble appears much stronger but with less hops. Trimble also appears to be a better 3pt shooter and makes up for less athleticism with very good footwork. Adams and Trimble both have good body control though Adams displays his while in the air and Trimble with his footwork. If Adams wants to have as good a year as Trimble he will need to get stronger and improve his shot this summer (it looks much better this past year in high school). Just my opinion though.
How can you tell if Trimble is a better shooter? Adams makes all of his shots on his highlight videos.:)

Reaction Score
You do know that he was playing against high school players.
The nepsac is not like a typical high school league plus you have post grads who typically were very good high school players. Most high school's best players would not start for the top two nepsac tier schools

Reaction Score
I think 7.8 points and 3 assists a game is a reasonable expectation. That's what 4 star recruit and 1st round pick Shabazz Napier averaged as a freshman.
He's not a 4-star, and he's about 60 spots ahead of Shabazz coming outta high school.

It's always hard to project freshmen - especially frosh PGs - but I'm not sure UConn's ever had a point as talented as Jalen. That doesn't mean he'll be their best one ever, but from a pure talent standpoint, he's short on weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Adams won't be as good next year as Boatright was this year. Not sure how we then make the leap of faith from a first round NIT loss with Boatright to an "easy": sweet sixteen with a Freshman Adams. I'd like to assume that the rest of our team will be somewhat better next year to help compensate for the loss of Boat but many of our players have actually been getting less productive; Nolan and Samuel. The only way we make "Sweet Sixteen is if Enoch is solid enough to completely replace one of our unproductive Bigs.

Reaction Score
Adams won't be as good next year as Boatright was this year. Not sure how we then make the leap of faith from a first round NIT loss with Boatright to an "easy": sweet sixteen with a Freshman Adams. I'd like to assume that the rest of our team will be somewhat better next year to help compensate for the loss of Boat but many of our players have actually been getting less productive; Nolan and Samuel. The only way we make "Sweet Sixteen is if Enoch is solid enough to completely replace one of our unproductive Bigs.

Well #1 Boat didn't play in the NIT loss. And they are different players and the unknown with Adams will be interesting. His talent and potential is exceptional and if he's a mature freshman who likes the pressure he may very well be as good. There's plenty of freshman who make a splash right away and there's others who don't do so well. We'll see I guess but I like what I see coming in. Agree on needing Enoch to be something, maybe not a lot, but some accruing, occasional rebounds etc etc..

Reaction Score
Let's stop with saying Samuel became less productive. He barely played until the tournament, and though he played really well there, its not like he was a star. Teams hadn't seen him so didn't really know what they were facing. They did this year, they knew he wasn't a shooter and was a slashing PG with good not great handle, and teams took advantage of that.

Reaction Score
I understand not much to read/write about on the board. But the expectations for Adams need to be realistic. Prep school, even the best prep school and league aren't major D1 ball. The level of intensity on defense will be at a much higher level.
Who was our best point guard ever? I hope he lives up to some of your expectations. But it always seems like some of you believe that the highlight tapes are what your going to get when they hit the hardwood for a college game. The pressure will be 100 fold compared to what it is now. The rims will look much smaller.
What I'm hoping to get from him is good handle. Being able to find the open man. Being a threat with the ball that Tsam isn't. Staying in front of his man on D, cutting down the amount of times our bigs have to protect the rim because a guard went right down the lane.

We need Dham and Purvis to be the focal points on offense.

Reaction Score
Let's stop with saying Samuel became less productive. He barely played until the tournament, and though he played really well there, its not like he was a star. Teams hadn't seen him so didn't really know what they were facing. They did this year, they knew he wasn't a shooter and was a slashing PG with good not great handle, and teams took advantage of that.

I think that everyone saw that small sampling and expected a bit more than when they saw this year, that's all. I agree with you though, they knew his weaknesses because he played 20 minutes a game and exploited them to their advantage.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams will be as good as his talent and development will allow him to be.

Reaction Score
I think that everyone saw that small sampling and expected a bit more than when they saw this year, that's all. I agree with you though, they knew his weaknesses because he played 20 minutes a game and exploited them to their advantage.
The point is he didn't make any real progress (that I could tell) as the season went on. I would love for us to secure a second pg/ball handler to go with Adams. Our two guard formula Kemba /Shabazz, Shabazz/Boat, was lethal come tourney time. Wonder what could have been if we had Adams this year.

Reaction Score
The point is he didn't make any real progress (that I could tell) as the season went on. I would love for us to secure a second pg/ball handler to go with Adams. Our two guard formula Kemba /Shabazz, Shabazz/Boat, was lethal come tourney time. Wonder what could have been if we had Adams this year.

No doubt, he didn't make any progress. He can still be helpful but 20 minutes a game next year is too much.

Reaction Score
What we need from Adams:

Good handle
A shot that makes defenses respect him
The ability to get the ball to scorers in the right place
8-10 ppg

I think if he gives us those things, we'll be in pretty darn good shape next year.

If he gives us less, we're in trouble; more, we're in better shape than some people realize.

I'm more concerned about the development of our bigs. Brimah needs some real post moves, and we need some rebounding.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ben went for the money and screwed his career....
You referring to Gordon? How did he screw his career? He was the third pick overall after he won a National Title. There was no where to go but down had he stayed and he's been in the NBA for 10 years.

Reaction Score
While I'm thrilled to have him and believe he will be an outstanding player at UConn, the kid is a freshman who must adjust to Div. 1. He will likely have an up and down season but better on the second half of the schedule. His success will have a lot to do with how much the returning players improve.
It's not like he has to adjust to Old Big East Basketball. It's just a little step up to AAC basketball...UGH!

Reaction Score
You referring to Gordon? How did he screw his career? He was the third pick overall after he won a National Title. There was no where to go but down had he stayed and he's been in the NBA for 10 years.
He means leaving the Bulls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69