Jackson State info | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson State info

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Their Conference is one of the worst in Div 1 Women's basketball. The next highest team is rated more than 100 points below them. Massey has Jackson State rated 103, while Grambling is at #206. Listed below is the ratings for the Southwestern Athletic Conference:

#103 Jackson State
#206 Grambling
#228 Arkansas Pine Bluff
#235 Southern Univ
#274 Alabama A&M
#282 Bethune-Cookman
#304 Alcorn State
#321 Florida A&M
#324 Prairie View
#340 Texas Southern
#349 Alabama State
#352 Mississippi Valley State

Keep in mind that there are only 360 Division 1 Women's Basketball teams. None are in the top 100, only one team in their whole conference is in the top third and two-thirds of the conference is in the bottom third of Div 1.

Reaction Score
Their Conference is one of the worst in Div 1 Women's basketball. The next highest team is rated more than 100 points below them. Massey has Jackson State rated 103, while Grambling is at #206. Listed below is the ratings for the Southwestern Athletic Conference:

#103 Jackson State
#206 Grambling
#228 Arkansas Pine Bluff
#235 Southern Univ
#274 Alabama A&M
#282 Bethune-Cookman
#304 Alcorn State
#321 Florida A&M
#324 Prairie View
#340 Texas Southern
#349 Alabama State

Keep in mind that there are only 360 Division 1 Women's Basketball teams. None are in the top 100, only one team in their whole conference is in the top third and two-thirds of the conference is in the bottom third of Div 1.
Thirds? Is the ncaa going to replace quads with thirds?

Reaction Score

#103 Jackson State
#206 Grambling
#228 Arkansas Pine Bluff
#235 Southern Univ
#274 Alabama A&M
#282 Bethune-Cookman
#304 Alcorn State
#321 Florida A&M
#324 Prairie View
#340 Texas Southern
#349 Alabama State

Looks like LSU’s OOC Schedule.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thirds? Is the ncaa going to replace quads with thirds?
That makes it look even worse, none in Quad 1, only one team in Quad 2, Jackson State. Three teams in Quad 3, Grambling, Ark Pine Bluff and Southern Univ. The remaining eight are in Quad 4, that is horrible. I was trying to be a little sympathetic for their conference.

Reaction Score
Never underestimate an opponent, a truism. But Jackson State lost to both Miami 59 - 52 and
Miss. St 82 - 72 (see their schedule and results above) . Miami is neither in the NCAA's nor the WBIT (i.e.
not in the top 100 WBB programs. Mississippi St is in the WBIT... therefore, not in the top 68
WBB programs. I worry about fouls and other possible effects of UCONN's short bench. GO HUSKIES!
My point was that they’ve played well against ACC and SEC teams. And beat a BE team. I don’t think they’ll be starstruck.

Reaction Score
They beat Grambling State by 8. Grambling State lost to Minnesota by a score of 96-64. We beat Minnesota 62-44, we take every opponent seriously but this is not the game to worry about.

Reaction Score
Haven't paid attention to when exactly it occurred but we are now used to seeing "graduate student" added to the rosters in both women's and mens college basketball, besides the usual four year Fr-Sr players.

Let's take a look at Jackson State. Of the roster of 15, almost half (7!) are listed as 'graduate students". There is only one (1!) freshman.

Maybe it's me but something about this just seems totally upside down. Is college sports morphing into semi-pro?

Reaction Score
Play "piranha on a roast" defense from the opening tip and the Huskies win easily. No walking onto the court and taking a win for granted. I don't think the seniors will let that happen.

Reaction Score
Always good for the Boneyard to emphasize the upside but just a brief look if you will bear with me at the downside:

Let us hope two things don't happen in any of the games UConn plays

1. No injuries. Please. We have had enough.

2. Officiating: Don't let it morph into something it shouldn't. Keep it fair and most importantly CONSISTENT, not one quarter or half easy and the next quarter or half hard. It destroys momentum and creates doubt and uncertainty with the players and coaches, never mind the fans.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If UConn is not playing up to standards in the first few minutes of the game, I see Nika getting into the players faces and informing them that they need to get their STUFF together or else.

Reaction Score
Haven't paid attention to when exactly it occurred but we are now used to seeing "graduate student" added to the rosters in both women's and mens college basketball, besides the usual four year Fr-Sr players.

Let's take a look at Jackson State. Of the roster of 15, almost half (7!) are listed as 'graduate students". There is only one (1!) freshman.

Maybe it's me but something about this just seems totally upside down. Is college sports morphing into semi-pro?
Is that because they still have a year of eligibility left, either because they redshirted a year or the covid 5th year exception?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Never underestimate an opponent, a truism. But Jackson State lost to both Miami 59 - 52 and
Miss. St 82 - 72 (see their schedule and results above) . Miami is neither in the NCAA's nor the WBIT (i.e.
not in the top 100 WBB programs. Mississippi St is in the WBIT... therefore, not in the top 68
WBB programs.
I worry about fouls and other possible effects of UCONN's short bench. GO HUSKIES!
Yeah, it doesn't quite work like that. There are quite a few teams who are not in the top 68 who are in the NCAA tourney. Lots of those small conferences (like the Southwestern Athletic Conference) get automatic bids. But they are not in the top 68 teams.

Reaction Score
Yes.
Maybe so but there should be a distinction between those who got a deferment or red-shirted a year because of covid and those who are playing their fifth or sixth year of "college" ball as grad students. The NCAA has no age limitation but is there any rule that says you couldn't have an entire team of 25-26 year old redshirts and "grad students"?

Redshirting is one thing but regarding the "graduate student" scenario, there needs to be a limit or cap on the # of "grad students" allowed on a roster in any one season. Half of the roster as "grad students" in the case of Jackson St. just seems out of balance.

Reaction Score
WBB programs. I worry about fouls and other possible effects of UCONN's short bench. GO HUSKIES!
The NCAA tournament is not the top 68 teams, but your point is well taken.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe so but there should be a distinction between those who got a deferment or red-shirted a year because of covid and those who are playing their fifth or sixth year of "college" ball as grad students. The NCAA has no age limitation but is there any rule that says you couldn't have an entire team of 25-26 year old redshirts and "grad students"?

Redshirting is one thing but regarding the "graduate student" scenario, there needs to be a limit or cap on the # of "grad students" allowed on a roster in any one season. Half of the roster as "grad students" in the case of Jackson St. just seems out of balance.
Well nobody is playing their 6th year. You can play 4 years (5 for Covid), but not 6. You can take 6 years to play 4 or 5 (Covid). But you can't play 6 years.

And why would you want a rule about how many GR students? Are you going to have a rule about how many FRs or JRs?

Yeah, some teams get themselves "out of balance" (due to good years, bad years recruiting or change of coach mass exodus, etc.), but why would you want a rule to prevent that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, it doesn't quite work like that. There are quite a few teams who are not in the top 68 who are in the NCAA tourney. Lots of those small conferences (like the Southwestern Athletic Conference) get automatic bids. But they are not in the top 68 teams.
I see your point! I was being too simplistic.... Your clarification trumps my addition (68+32) and simplistic assumption.
Thank You.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Looking at their team photo, I’m impressed by the size of their roster. Not height size but roster size. I count 17 players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom