its war in new england now | The Boneyard

its war in new england now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
http://maroonmusket.com/

lol, i actually think some 1 did a nice job with this site so far. its kind of what i hope we can do soewhat here with the graphics stuff.

there is that quote tho "where uconn found its players since 2012"
funny guy it seems. he must have gotten all his info off my twitter haha

Reaction Score
UConn fans need not worry. I know, from an Inside source, that UMass is only targeting BCU recruits. They recently blackballed Springfield College from getting into the MAC as they want to be "Massachusetts Team"

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, UCONN should not let UMASS off the mat. We need to beat them always and we need to beat them decisively. BC is in the process of digging their own grave. UCONN is college football in New England and needs to stay there.

Reaction Score
LOL!

The fact that you are on this board so often that you responded to my post in less than 5 minutes speaks volumes.

Stick your head in the sand if you want, but BC is in a world of hurt and there is neither the leadership nor the will to admit the problems let alone try to fix them.

Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
If you're worried about UMass, we're toast.

Agree with this sentiment. When we start to worry about losing recruiting battles to a MAC team that will play in front of 15k at Gillette, we have issues.

Reaction Score
Agree with this sentiment. When we start to worry about losing recruiting battles to a MAC team that will play in front of 15k at Gillette, we have issues.

You mean like Temple and WMU?

I know UMASS has a tough road to hoe. But, in our immediate region it is really them and BC vying for college football supremacy with UCONN. BC is down. All I'm saying is don't let UMASS ever get started, and the way they get off to a great start is by coming into the Rent and pulling off an upset. While they were down a bit last season, over the last few years they have played some good football.

I'm sure the folks at BC never envisioned as little as 6-7 years ago that the one team in New England winning conference championships and going to BCS Bowls would be UCONN. They firmly believed that the recruiting trail was theirs alone. They have no idea what hit them and I don't want UCONN to be in that situation.

Reaction Score
Years ago when UConn announced it was moving up to D-1, the Boston Globe's Bob Ryan (a bcu alum) wrote it's only a matter of time before UConn passes out BC.
fans have known this for a while. It is happening now.
With the best practice facility in the country. And, a 40K stadium 20 miles away we should never have to worry about a team that needs to travel 95 miles away to play a game. Plus, no practice facility, and that plays in a non BCS conference./

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
You know what? If UMass becomes a good FBS school and helps stoke the HS/college football fires in New England - and does it to the detriment of BCU - then more power to 'em. In fact, I'd be okay with UConn's AD actually helping facilitate UMass' successful upgrade, provided that both state flagship schools eventually overshadow that obstinate, private school from The Depths.

Hear me out:

College football is built on rivalries. Rivalries sell. Rivalries are what made this sport the juggernaut it's become. If UConn has any realistic hope of growing it's local fan base, expanding the Rent, encouraging the best local HS athletes to choose football over hoops/baseball, etc. then it's going to need to develop a a HEATED rivalry with someone, anyone, ASAP. The best options:

* Rutgers? We're getting there. All the seeds are there for a major rivalry; just give it time (and a dash of slick marketing, imho) and it'll catch fire really soon.

* BCU? Bingo!...except for that leeetle problem of their leadership being so blindly vindictive towards UConn that they're willing to cut off their noses to spite their face rather than accept reality. And the reality is that THERE IS NO NEW ENGLAND MARKET WITHOUT UCONN - PERIOD. If they truly want to be 'New England's Team', then they will have to either a) beat UConn on the field/court/diamond/ice or b) try to marginalize or eliminate the Huskies AD completely. They've chosen b), and now they're beginning to reap the results.

RIP, BCU.

* UMass. We hate them. They hate us. it's been that way for years, decades - heck, forever. If they pull this FBS thing off and become equal to us on the field, then by all means bring it on. But the best part of a UConn-UMass hookup, by far? Both schools loathe BCU.

Now I'm going on the assumption here that UMass despises Chestnut Hill as much as we do. If so, we can have a common goal: control New England college sports, get folks fired up for their state schools, and stick it to BCU in the process.

If the UConn and UMass ADs play their cards right, both schools together can claim the mythical 'New England market' over BCU, mainly by creating it from the ground up. We as fans can only hope: sadly, college sports currently has too many accountants and not enough visionaries...

Reaction Score
The day UMass moves into a BCS conference I will entertain the notion of a rivalry.

They are moving up to the MAC. We should set our sights a little higher than a mid major. Our home field is closer to the UMass campus than their own is. I don't want to see a competitive game on Sept 1.

Reaction Score
Give UMass 6 years to get their program to where they can start competing. Play them every other year to start getting that rivalry seed started and then hopefully we'll have something. Maybe Coach P can get BC on the schedule every other year too. Then..... we'd really have something.

UMass @ Conn, Conn @ BC, Conn @ Umass, BC @ Conn, UMass @ Conn, Conn @ BC ect, ect.

And then the same with Pitt & Cuse. And we could possibly get two non conference rivalry games going a year. Then as I keep dreaming the same with Notre Dame and Michigan. Please............... don't wake me up just yet. My luxury box at the Rent is occupied with Victoria's Secret models Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. :)

Reaction Score
You mean like Temple and WMU?

I know UMASS has a tough road to hoe. But, in our immediate region it is really them and BC vying for college football supremacy with UCONN. BC is down. All I'm saying is don't let UMASS ever get started, and the way they get off to a great start is by coming into the Rent and pulling off an upset. While they were down a bit last season, over the last few years they have played some good football.

I'm sure the folks at BC never envisioned as little as 6-7 years ago that the one team in New England winning conference championships and going to BCS Bowls would be UCONN. They firmly believed that the recruiting trail was theirs alone. They have no idea what hit them and I don't want UCONN to be in that situation.
Yes, losing to Temple as an MAC team was awful, terrible, shouldn't have happened.

UMass should to be able top compete with BCS schools, they should have the same success against us that they would have against Ohio State or Georgia. And if you don't think that, you are shooting pretty low.

Reaction Score
Yes, losing to Temple as an MAC team was awful, terrible, shouldn't have happened.

UMass should to be able top compete with BCS schools, they should have the same success against us that they would have against Ohio State or Georgia. And if you don't think that, you are shooting pretty low.

Problem being we are not either of those two programs, and quite frankly you sound like RutgersAl by even putting us in the same breath, and it has nothing to do with shooting too low. What we may aspire to be and what we are, are two very different things. The reality of the situation is we are a 5-7 team that lost to Western Michigan last year, Temple was two years ago. We are further from competing at the level of Ohio State and Georgia than we are UMass.

Reaction Score
Problem being we are not either of those two programs, and quite frankly you sound like RutgersAl by even putting us in the same breath, and it has nothing to do with shooting too low. What we may aspire to be and what we are, are two very different things. The reality of the situation is we are a 5-7 team that lost to Western Michigan last year, Temple was two years ago. We are further from competing at the level of Ohio State and Georgia than we are UMass.[/quote]

Unfortunately that was not the case as recently as '09. Georgia was just another South Carolina. And Ohio State, well maybe that was beyond UConn's reach. But fast forward two years. . . UConn is in a spot where fans can be less optimistic. Biggest reasons: crumbling of Big East, Temple replacing WVU, an unattractive OOC schedule (actually one more decent home game besides NC State would take care of that), a tiny stadium, and a very boring approach to the game (offenzzzzzzzzzz).

The sooner UConn football separates itself from Buffalo, Temple (thought they had done that) and Western Michigan (thought they had moved beyond the MAC teams)

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, UCONN should not let UMASS off the mat. We need to beat them always and we need to beat them decisively. BC is in the process of digging their own grave. UCONN is college football in New England and needs to stay there.

Very true indeed. UConn left Umass behind at the start of this century. Let's not let them close the gap.

Reaction Score
If we truly aspire to be closer to B1G, ACC, or SEC teams, than to MAC teams we should attempt to schedule more Michigan's. Tennessee's, or North Carolina's than the UMass', Buffalo's, or the directional Michigan schools.

Reaction Score

Goergia had one down year '10, and honestly I'll take a 6-7 year in the SEC over our 5-7 season in the BE. Check the Georgia results prior to and since then, calling them another South Carolina is so naive. Richt had a run of 7 - 10 win seasons in a 10 year span, South Carolina had 1, last year. But either way our program is lightyears away from being compared to Georgia.

Reaction Score
If we truly aspire to be closer to B1G, ACC, or SEC teams, than to MAC teams we should attempt to schedule more Michigan's. Tennessee's, or North Carolina's than the UMass', Buffalo's, or the directional Michigan schools.

Georgia opens against Buffalo this year. But to your point we don't have the traition or rep they do, we should be scheduling better but to what point? We still want to have winnable games that get us into bowl games and to more exposure, so where do you draw the line?

Reaction Score

That might be the single most absurd statement ever on this board. Yes, I am shooting low because I see fundmental, systemic reasons why we won't be Ohio State or Georgia any time soon.

Reaction Score
we always have 1 or 2 regional games on our schedule. That may change if the BE goes to 9 conf games. Likely would drop to 1 game with the other 2 being BCS caliber games. I hope.
don't forget, the little deal the Pac12 and Big10 just made will tighten up the ability to schedule any of those schools as OOC games. Especially for a program like Uconn.

Reaction Score
Georgia opens against Buffalo this year. But to your point we don't have the traition or rep they do, we should be scheduling better but to what point? We still want to have winnable games that get us into bowl games and to more exposure, so where do you draw the line?
Regarding OOC games, I would like to see us play 1 game vs a team from either the B1G, ACC, or SEC. One game vs a MAC school. And 1 game vs the allowable D-1AA Teams.
My guess is with 13 teams in the very new BE, we'll play between 8-10 league games. If say, 8 conference games are allowed, that means 4 OOC games are allowed.
Therefore if we play 1 big time program, 1 MAC program, and 1 D-1AA program, I draw the line on a 2nd MAC program in favor of another Big time program.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
When we start to worry about losing recruiting battles to a MAC team that will play in front of 15k at Gillette, we have issues.

Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question but is UMass playing ALL their games in Foxboro? Don't they have an on-campus stadium? I remember going there for a game my freshman year and that was 12 years ago. I thought they'd only play larger games like UConn or a bigger non-conference opponent there. They're playing all their home games that far away from campus? Ugh....that's awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom