It's Time To Scrutinize The Big 12 (J. Jacobs) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Time To Scrutinize The Big 12 (J. Jacobs)

Reaction Score
How long do these ESPN tax credits last? Does anyone have a year of expiration?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I must be missing something here...but I don't quite understand why some posters find negativity in whatever Jeff Jacobs writes. You may not agree with his approach but he remains one of the few voices looking out for Uconn's interests ( whether or not he's late in doing so). That's more than can be said for our CT corporations ( including the losers at ESPN) our politicians and many of our fans who"d rather just sit on their hands and bitch. No one is doubting that the game, for now, is over, but Jacobs sounds as pissed and frustrated as the many of us. The difference is he has a "pulpit " he can use to let it be known and he hasn't hesititated in expressing his feelings. Personally, I see no problem in banging on every door, now and in the future, and until somebody comes up with something better to advance our cause, I applaud those who do!

Um maybe it's because he's 5 years late and has not even a single suggestion worth considering in his article?

If anyone at the Courant had a clue they would have been on this stuff for a decade because it impacts how many people want to read them.

Instead they gave us Dez Conner for a football beat writer. Then they write CR articles that are about 3-4 weeks stale and contain less insight than the non-key tweet thread.

Their coverage and their efforts have been completely useless. If they gave a damn about covering the team we wouldn't have had race car Shawn followed by a guy who loves Pasqualoni and was more interested in tweeting about sham preachers than the football team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gee here is an idea: I bet a writer from the Hartford Courant can access lawyers within their huge company or find a lawyer who likes to talk to reporters.

MAYBE FIND AN ANTITRUST LAWYER AND SPEND 4 HOURS WITH THEM FINDING OUT IF THERE IS ANY BASIS FOR LAWSUITS?!?!

Maybe that would interest your readership? Maybe someone would want to read that over the recycled garbage they print on a daily basis?

I mean Jacobs did promise to hammer on this issue this year - wow he's been just fantastic. And their Big 12 coverage was stellar - they really had the pulse - I mean the AD was telling random people it was dead but they couldn't get a word on it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I must be missing something here...but I don't quite understand why some posters find negativity in whatever Jeff Jacobs writes. You may not agree with his approach but he remains one of the few voices looking out for Uconn's interests ( whether or not he's late in doing so). That's more than can be said for our CT corporations ( including the losers at ESPN) our politicians and many of our fans who"d rather just sit on their hands and bitch. No one is doubting that the game, for now, is over, but Jacobs sounds as pissed and frustrated as the many of us. The difference is he has a "pulpit " he can use to let it be known and he hasn't hesititated in expressing his feelings. Personally, I see no problem in banging on every door, now and in the future, and until somebody comes up with something better to advance our cause, I applaud those who do!

Because he's not a random fan venting on a message board.

For the same reason us fans were considering sports writers from B12 to have key tweets the rest of the country sees his opinion as the voice of the UConn program. Especially since there isn't any other writer willing to take a contrary position

In the rest of the college football world it's assumed that a writer from the state paper doesn't write this article without UConn administration support.

Reaction Score
Jacobs was decent when he covered the Whalers. That was about it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Gotta start winning 60% of football games over a three year period, fill the stadium, and keep on doing/improving everything else that the university is currently doing.

So we should find a way to go back to 2010?

Reaction Score
I like Jeff Jacobs, but @whaler11 is right that this was a piece extremely light on substance and heavy on rhetoric.

At the end of the day there is probably next to nothing CT can do to push ESPN here. If they threaten to end tax breaks or penalize them in any way, there is a huge ESPN workforce and campus in Orlando that would take those jobs in a heart beat.

Best bet for UConn is to be able to get Aresco to renegotiate the AAC TV deal with ESPN, not necessarily for more money because that ain't happening, but to get individual schools their T3 rights back.

Reaction Score
Will someone please explain to me why UConn had to sign over their T3 rights and to whom? The AAC orESPN?

Reaction Score
Will someone please explain to me why UConn had to sign over their T3 rights and to whom? The AAC orESPN?

Signed them over to the AAC. Every AAC team did. Was an effort to make the conference TV package more appealing to networks.

UConn was royally screwed by it due to how low the TV deal eventually was signed for, but other schools like ECU whose T3 rights are probably worth $5 at best made out like bandits.

Reaction Score
Because he's not a random fan venting on a message board.

For the same reason us fans were considering sports writers from B12 to have key tweets the rest of the country sees his opinion as the voice of the UConn program. Especially since there isn't any other writer willing to take a contrary position

In the rest of the college football world it's assumed that a writer from the state paper doesn't write this article without UConn administration support.
That the rest of the country sees Jacobs'opinion as "the voice of the UConn program" may be flattering to Jacobs, but quite a stretch from reality. Even if that were true ( which is highly doubtful) how would one come to know that, that's the case? Additionally, claiming that the "rest of the college football world'" assumes that a writer from the state newspaper doesn't write the article without the Uconn administration's support ...an interesting contention to say the least!
All are free to take from the article what they will. I prefer to see it as more positive than negative in respect to UConn's football interests.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Signed them over to the AAC. Every AAC team did. Was an effort to make the conference TV package more appealing to networks.

UConn was royally screwed by it due to how low the TV deal eventually was signed for, but other schools like ECU whose T3 rights are probably worth $5 at best made out like bandits.

Yup. And I am beyond tired of playing nice in this conference. A lot of schools used the Big 12 expansion process as an opportunity to belittle UConn and claim that we don't own our markets. Time to put a little proof in the pudding. If this is true, then each school in the AAC should have no problem wanting Tier 3 rights returned to all members. I'm 1000% confident UConn can sell its to keep as close to the P5 gap line but schools like ECU, UCF, USF, Memphis, etc will have a hard time selling theirs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom