It's Robert Burton week .... | The Boneyard

It's Robert Burton week ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../01/connecticut-donor-robert-burton-letter-/1

I have thought about this a lot in the last 5 weeks. Addazio is doing a lot right with very meager Temple circumstances: Recruiting is on a higher plane; Facilities are getting built; They are more competitive seemingly every year; the Trend is up.

Pasqualoni, in my view, just doesn't get the UConn Program. I think we are very New at this FBS level. We need MOMENTUM as well as wins. We need to give our Fanbase reason to look forward ... and build. Jeff Hathaway gave us, as a parting gift, a Pasqualoni/DeLeone albatross. There is some transition that was good. But, we shouldn't have any question as to what the direction should be going forward.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was a bad hire. I thought Burton was a bombastic lunatic at the time - now, I realize he was Paul Revere, only more wild-eyed and without the horse.

I would love to watch a game with that guy these days. It's three hours of him screaming at the TV, "SEE?! I duck*ING TOLD YOU! ETHEL....GET IN HERE! DIDN'T I TELL THEM?!"

Then his whole family goes to the mall to get away from him for a few hours.

Anywho, I don't know if P gets the UConn program or even what that means, but I do know that he's drowning us.

He has to go, he has to go, he has to go.

Reaction Score
It was a bad hire. I thought Burton was a bombastic lunatic at the time - now, I realize he was Paul Revere, only more wild-eyed and without the horse.

I would love to watch a game with that guy these days. It's three hours of him screaming at the TV, "SEE?! I duck*ING TOLD YOU! ETHEL....GET IN HERE! DIDN'T I TELL THEM?!"

Anywho, I don't know if P gets the UConn program or even what that means, but I do know that he's drowning us.

If he's not donating money, I don't know if he even watches the games.

His only tie to UConn is that his son played there 12 years ago. He went to Murray State of all places.

Reaction Score
Donating a few million dollars and having a building named after yourself is much more ties than just about all of us can claim.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm kinda gonna assume he watches the games.

The guy donates about eight million bucks to the schools, his son was a captain on the football team and the freaking practice facility has his name on it....only on the Boneyard would he have the depth of his connection to the program questioned.

We explore new depths daily.

Reaction Score

You have to assume if the school's biggest donor doesn't like you, in fact, really, really, really doesn't like you, hates you, and you take the football program to new, unseen lows, and the fans start calling for your head - you have to assume that you are on the way out. If Addazio comes in here next week and gets a W, like I think he just may, P might as well start get that resume ready.

Reaction Score
He may end up being right about the P hire, but he still acted like a horses ass throught the whole thing.

Reaction Score

Apparently, bombastic lunatics -- even egomaniacal ones -- aren't always wrong.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Apparently, bombastic lunatics -- even egomaniacal ones -- aren't always wrong.

Strangely enough, I was thinking about Bobby B and how his head has grown about 10 sizes bigger regarding this issue.

I won't fault Hathaway for not giving Burton carte blanche in approving/disapproving the head coaching decision. BUT, and this is true for many areas of business, human resources, management, etc., IF you are going to ignore the demands of your biggest money donor, your better be right and be right in a huge way.

Because now Burton can double down on being an assssshhhoolle on the next coaching search. For fuccckss sake, he might actually think he needs to be more bombastic than the first time since he didn't get his way.

Good, bad or otherwise people like Burton don't like it when they don't get their way. And they really, really, really don't like not getting their way twice in a row over the same matter- especially when they were right the first time.

Reaction Score
Chin, didn't the administration throw a grovel party for him last year? Of course he is going to be consulted. You'd have to be brain dead not to consult this guy. I think Susan calls him when she needs to leave her desk to go to the ladies room.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
SH started repairing the relationship with Burton before she officially came on board as president.

What he did was a bit ridiculous (and it sucks that he evidently was right) but we are not in a position where we can allow a donor of that level to cut all ties to the school without trying to keep him in the family.

Reaction Score
Remember the leaked story about UConn/Hathaway not hiring Whipple because Whipple wanted a whole new staff? A little birdie told me Burton would have paid the buyouts so that UConn could have started fresh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin, didn't the administration throw a grovel party for him last year? Of course he is going to be consulted. You'd have to be brain dead not to consult this guy. I think Susan calls him when she needs to leave her desk to go to the ladies room.

It's not just that he's going to be consulted. He can also be a gigantic assssmunch and Uconn's personnel are still going to have to place a decent amount of weight on his opinions.

Most of us have been in Uconn's position. Neither Herbst or Manuel were around when Bobby B blue his gasket over the PP hire. But they get to deal with him next round. I will concede that anyone who becomes president or an AD at a major institution has probably dealt with and mastered these scenarios.

Reaction Score
Strangely enough, I was thinking about Bobby B and how his head has grown about 10 sizes bigger regarding this issue.

I won't fault Hathaway for not giving Burton carte blanche in approving/disapproving the head coaching decision. BUT, and this is true for many areas of business, human resources, management, etc., IF you are going to ignore the demands of your biggest money donor, your better be right and be right in a huge way.

Because now Burton can double down on being an assssshhhoolle on the next coaching search. For fuccckss sake, he might actually think he needs to be more bombastic than the first time since he didn't get his way.

Good, bad or otherwise people like Burton don't like it when they don't get their way. And they really, really, really don't like not getting their way twice in a row over the same matter- especially when they were right the first time.

If I could frame this post I would. Along with a quote from Platoon - "I am reality"

Reaction Score
I'm kinda gonna assume he watches the games.

The guy donates about eight million bucks to the schools, his son was a captain on the football team and the freaking practice facility has his name on it....only on the Boneyard would he have the depth of his connection to the program questioned.

I know someone who is an acquaintance of Burton. He liked donating to the football program because it gave him a chance to basically fund part of the development of an up and coming program. As Dan Gilbert proved, when incredibly rich people give away their money and don't feel like they've been rewarded, they get really angry.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I could frame this post I would. Along with a quote from Platoon - "I am reality"
I will give Burton a break on this just a little bit: Didn't he have a kid play for PP at cuse and therefore had some firsthand knowledge of what a mistake we were making? Otherwise, he does have a bit of a Montgomery Burns in him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will give Burton a break on this just a little bit: Didn't he have a kid play for PP at cuse and therefore had some firsthand knowledge of what a mistake we were making? Otherwise, he does have a bit of a Montgomery Burns in him.

Yes, Bobby B's kids played for PP at 'Cuse. Supposedly, rumor has it, that the players wanted Lil B to be a captain and PP nixed it.

Reaction Score
I finally understand what spectator sports are about. :rolleyes:

scary. Who's going to be our first hooligan? HFD?? Or Robert Burton??

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We might need to hire Addazio before BC does.

Why would he choose UConn over Temple or even *gulp* BC? He already has a decent thing going st Temple and BC is in a stable conference. UConn is a total lateral move right now for him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
UConn is better than Temple -- more fans, better funded athletic department, better facilities. Plus it would be going home for him.

BC might be more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69