It's Official: Weist New Offensive Coordinator | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Weist New Offensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has a history of exciting highly aggressive effective offenses, has a lot of experience recruiting and has done a great job of developing WRs. I'm pretty sure that's the trifecta. On paper at least, it looks like a great hire to me.

Does anyone know if he was recruiting anyone in particular at Cinci that may follow him?

Supposedly the QB from Ohio was looking in our direction because of him. Kempt not sure as it was here on the recruit board. Don't care for poaching as what comes around goes around.
What I do like is someone with aggression on the O side of the ball.........

Reaction Score
We needed some good news in the worst way, and this definitely is good news. Could finally be the booster shot our offense has sorely needed. (Heck, the whole program needs one.)

Reaction Score
It's great to want to be aggressive and want to throw the ball all over the field, but our QB's don't really have the arms to do that (other than incoming Frosh Lagow). Whitmer and Cochran are not down the field passers and Whitmer's throws to the sidelines on comebacks and outs lack any kind of zip.

Reaction Score
It's great to want to be aggressive and want to throw the ball all over the field, but our QB's don't really have the arms to do that (other than incoming Frosh Lagow). Whitmer and Cochran are not down the field passers and Whitmer's throws to the sidelines on comebacks and outs lack any kind of zip.

You don't need a cannon arm to run the spread (just ask Colt Brennan, Case Keenum, and Chase Daniel) and it's not like Whitmer or Cochran have noodle arms.

Reaction Score
If he is on the show and no one calls in, is he really on the show?

All kidding aside It's great to see GDL one step closer to the door. I think we will need 30+ pts per game next year as having our DC spot in limbo so long worries me that no one with any substance wants it due to a dead man walking HC.

Reaction Score
[quote="sportsart, post: 477675, member:

All kidding aside It's great to see GDL one step closer to the door. I think we will need 30+ pts per game next year as having our DC spot in limbo so long worries me that no one with any substance wants it due to a dead man walking HC.[/quote]

I think that the hiring is finished. Hughes will be DC so Congrats to him. We lost 2 coaches, and we just hired two. Its done unless another coach leaves.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Question 1 - Will you be installing your own system? Describe it.

Question 2 - Are you a proponent of zone blocking

Question 3 - Are you a proponent of having your RB's share the load or would you prefer one back to emerge

Question 4 - Ideally, will the QB be able to call audibles in your system?

Question 5 - How do you feel about calling time outs?

Reaction Score
Question 1 - Will you be installing your own system? Describe it.

Question 2 - Are you a proponent of zone blocking

Question 3 - Are you a proponent of having your RB's share the load or would you prefer one back to emerge

Question 4 - Ideally, will the QB be able to call audibles in your system?

All valid questions but you must understand that some/most of a teams philosophy is the head coach's and not necessarily the coordinator's. Most felt Todd Orlando believed in a "bend don't break" defensive philosophy, but in reality that was Edsall's doing. When Orlando got to FIU his defense blitzed all over the place. As for #4, no matter what team you are talking about the answer to that question is based on the player taking the snaps, his experience level and the coaches' confidence in him.

Reaction Score
Great news now its time to get to work and run a real offense.

Reaction Score
Question 5 - How do you feel about calling time outs?

Seriously, one of the problems of the logistics of this arrangement. Does he have the authority to call them in the first place? We could have had Chip Kelly as the OC at Rutgers at the end of the first half but if PP doesn't pull the trigger on timeouts and lets 14-plus seconds go by what good is the system?

Believe me I'm happy there's a new coordinator and I love the "I am the coordinator" quote. But Mario Andretti is no good if he doesn't have the wheel, clutch, brake and stick shift.

Just can't get the Holgorsen-WVU soap opera stuff out of my mind. Don't see PP pulling a Bill Stewart, but hoping he's all-in w/TJ. And would probably feel better about this if Warde had taken public ownership of this the way Oliver Luck did.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Chandler Whitmer is on record as saying he prefers running strictly a pro-style offense; it's the main reason he x'ferred out of Illinois and why he came here.

I wonder what happens with CW if Weist decides to run mostly spread-type stuff?...

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Chandler Whitmer is on record as saying he prefers running strictly a pro-style offense; it's the main reason he x'ferred out of Illinois and why he came here.

I wonder what happens with CW if Weist decides to run mostly spread-type stuff?...

You can run the Cincy spread w/out a rushing QB. Tony Pike can't run a lick.

Reaction Score
Maybe Chandler will talk to Monica and she will inform him the next transfer will be down 1 level.

Reaction Score

CW can either tighten up the jockstrap or he's the one your gonna see squeezing water from the bottle into lagow/cochrans mouth during timeouts

Reaction Score

If Weist puts us in a position to win Chandler will adapt just fine.

Reaction Score
I would think Chandler can't remember what he likes after the pro-style offense run by the previous offensive coordinator almost got him beheaded.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whitmer transferred because he wasn't going to play. That being said he's easily talented enough to be the second best quarterback in program history. The key is keeping him from getting killed. By lasting almost the entire season he proved he is tough as nails.

It's strange how when you aren't getting beaten to a pulp you throw fewer interceptions...

Reaction Score
Whitmer transferred because he wasn't going to play. That being said he's easily talented enough to be the second best quarterback in program history. The key is keeping him from getting killed. By lasting almost the entire season he proved he is tough as nails.

It's strange how when you aren't getting beaten to a pulp you throw fewer interceptions...

Agree. He had some bad picks, but he also had a good number that weren't entirely his fault. The offensive line, backs and schemes totally failed to protect him last season. He's good. Not great, however.

Reaction Score
He is also going to speed up the offense with some quick snaps time plays so the o line doesn't have to block for ten seconds and the defense gets a good look at what's coming. Better play calling g will help all the positions on offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom