It's Official: Weist New Offensive Coordinator | The Boneyard

It's Official: Weist New Offensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012213aae.html

I personally like the hire. But I probably had lower expectations than most in terms of the quality of a person we could expect to come into a position here. And it's not hard to believe he'll be an upgrade over DeLeone.

This is definitely good news. If nothing else it signals that WM and maybe PP were paying attention. I like the hire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
FWIW: Joe D. opened WTIC Sportstalk with the announcement, & stated that he will have a Q & A with him on Friday night's show. One can only guess if it will be live, or pretaped as the Pres. Herbst interview was.

Reaction Score
FWIW: Joe D. opened WTIC Sportstalk with the announcement, & stated that he will have a Q & A with him on Friday night's show. One can only guess if it will be live, or pretaped as the Pres. Herbst interview was.

Question 1 - Will you be installing your own system? Describe it.

Question 2 - Are you a proponent of zone blocking

Question 3 - Are you a proponent of having your RB's share the load or would you prefer one back to emerge

Question 4 - Ideally, will the QB be able to call audibles in your system?

Reaction Score
I wonder if this is really PP's decision. A lot of Cincy fans seem to feel he's a future HC. Could this be a potential replacement if PP doesn't improve the product this year?

Reaction Score
I am most excited about Weist being the combo of OC/Wr coach. It is time for UConn to move into the 21st century with both their overall offensive scheme and specifically with their Wr play. There is some decent Wr talent for UConn with Phillips and Davis returning and lots of young guys looking for opportunities like Bradley, Noel Guiteriez and others. Hopefully Weist will have the game plan to make some of that talent shine.

Reaction Score
I am most excited about Weist being the combo of OC/Wr coach. It is time for UConn to move into the 21st century with both their overall offensive scheme and specifically with their Wr play. There is some decent Wr talent for UConn with Phillips and Davis returning and lots of young guys looking for opportunities like Bradley, Noel Guiteriez and others. Hopefully Weist will have the game plan to make some of that talent shine.
I agree, I'm very excited about this hire and some of the kids we have coming back at the WR spot as well.

I'm not looking to start an Edsall vs. Pasqualoni vs. whoever we should have hired this past offseason, but I DO think we were well on our way to becoming a "Wisconsin light" in terms of having a massive road-grading OLine that wore opponents out with a relentless running game and I was happy with that approach because it was working for us. Then we got GDL'ed and here we are....

As a former WR myself (not a good one mind you....), I am excited about having a more exciting, fast-paced offense that will hopefully generate some interest with fans and recruits.

Basically, I would be happy either way. Just get good at scoring points, however it's done.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller (@NHRJimFuller)
1/22/13, 8:20 PM
New #UConn offensive coordinator T.J. Weist "I want to be an aggressive play caller" Post original url/V5zqRq

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-offensive-coordinator-i-want-to-be.html?m=1

"We are going to have a balanced attack because I think you win games running the ball and throwing the ball. I am not going to characterize us that we are going to be a throwing football team or a running football team or a wide-open team. I want to be an aggressive play caller where I want to attack the full field. I want to throw it deep. I want to run, I want to pound it, I want to spread the field horizontally and vertically, multiple combinations, multiple concepts.Going into this situation regardless of what has been done in the past, I want to have an attacking style of offense that is physical that has a balance to it because I want the play action to be a part of it where we can throw deep."

Weist doesn't anticipate any issues coexisting with former offensive coordinator George DeLeone, who is now exclusively the offensive line coach."

"Coach DeLeone is one of the most respected coaches in the industry," Weist said. "I walk in the door and the one thing is I want to learn from him because we has more football knowledge than I will ever have. I am excited to work with him, coach with him and learn the experience he has from his last two years as the coordinator here and try to make it better. We are in this to win, to win a Big East championship so I am going to work with him to make this offense better and do whatever we can to win the Big East championship. It is not going to be an issue, it is not going to be a problem because I have so much respect for him. We have the same goal and I don't think it is going to be an issue where he was the coordinator, I am the coordinator now. I think we are going to work together well and I think he is a valuable asset to all of us here."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love stuff like those quotes about GDL.

Reaction Score
I love stuff like those quotes about GDL.
A humble, forward-looking quote to deflate future questions about friction between GDL and the new OC....the kind of polished answer a media-savy future HC might give.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A humble, forward-looking quote to deflate future questions about friction between GDL and the new OC....the kind of polished answer a media-savy future HC might give.

Yeah, but 100% pure unadulterated horsecrap.

With a touch of - I'm in charge here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A brilliant double-double stroke on this hire. It bumps GDL down to a position coach where he may still be valuable and takes away play calling from him and also moves Matt Cersosima over to the DB's where he can still recruit and can teach a new crop of players how to not get open and not catch the ball.

Brilliant all around.

Reaction Score
Question 1 - Will you be installing your own system? Describe it.

Question 2 - Are you a proponent of zone blocking

Question 3 - Are you a proponent of having your RB's share the load or would you prefer one back to emerge

Question 4 - Ideally, will the QB be able to call audibles in your system?
Question 5 - How often will you be looking at the Hater Blog and what do you think that you can glean from all of those great posts?

Reaction Score
This is definitely good news. If nothing else it signals that WM and maybe PP were paying attention. I like the hire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I do think they were paying attention and that possibly some of the more sane efforts at communicating our concerns may have had just a small impact. At least we can hope they were considered.

Reaction Score
Looking at the positive, something has been done and we hired a coach from a program that has had alot of success. It's a great opportunity for coach Weist and I hope he hits the ground running and helps get the Rent rocking again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Dog Pound, Coach Weist!!!

Reaction Score
He has a history of exciting highly aggressive effective offenses, has a lot of experience recruiting and has done a great job of developing WRs. I'm pretty sure that's the trifecta. On paper at least, it looks like a great hire to me.

Does anyone know if he was recruiting anyone in particular at Cinci that may follow him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom