"It's like reading this board ten years ago" | The Boneyard

"It's like reading this board ten years ago"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syracuse fans on the exploits of P and D...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/for-...s-final-first-half-possession-saturday.33394/

went like this.

They get the ball with about 33 seconds left. 3 time outs somewhere around their 45 yard line.

Swing pass – incomplete.

Complete pass over the middle for a big gain to the Rutgers 34.

Clock stops to move the chains at :23 seconds.

Uconn players scrambling trying to line up.

No time out called.

Official spots the ball and winds the clock. :22, :21,:20

Crowd is SCREAMING to call a time out.

Whitmer still under center trying to line players up and snap the ball…all the way down to :15 or 16 seconds when OFFICIALS call time out to review the play.

Still no snap and still no time out.

Officials confirm the catch, spot the ball and wind the clock AGAIN. At least two seconds tick off before the ball is snapped…incomplete pass.

Now there is :08 seconds left and they still have all three time outs.

Out comes the FG unit. Not even an attempt to get a quick pass to move the kicker closer.

FG missed but all three time outs are preserved.

I went into Vietnam Agent Orange Flashback mode – it was their version of the 4 point FG.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can't login to their board as a guest anymore using TapTalk, but threads like this have been going on there for months. Even the fire GDL ones.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And yet none of the beat reporters bothered to ask about time management during the post-game or weekly presser.

Coaches can, at their own peril, blame failure on individual plays on players not executing. But time management and use of timeouts at the end of halfs and end of the game fall entirely on the head coach and his staff. No blaming players in this area.

And PP has demonstrated through 18 games as a head coach that he succckkss big-time in this area. And its an area that an AD should expect a better performance out of a coach.

Sounds cliche-ish, but time management can win or lose games.

Reaction Score
Are only coaches able to call TOs in college? I'm pretty sure every player on the field knew a TO needed to be called right after that catch, it would have been nice if one of them would have. For me this failure at the end of the half, and whether we hit the FG or not, this was total failure in clock management, was even more frustrating than the constant runs up the middle.

Reaction Score
And yet none of the beat reporters bothered to ask about time management during the post-game or weekly presser..

Chin I respectfully have to correct you on the first one: Desmond got the infamous "we were in good shape there, there was no need to use a timeout" quote and had it in his Sunday morning story at the end.

But you are 100 percent right on the second one: it should have been at least topic B or C at the presser and it wasn't. Someone should have given him the chance to walk it back or defend it. Like I said yesterday, a major Horde fail. Either they were afraid to ask about it (which in most cases I don't think is true) or they don't think it's a big deal (in which case they are wrong, it goes to the core of P's failings).

Reaction Score
My goodness, that is a fabulous thread. Here are my favorite quotes:

P used those 3 saved timeouts so he could add them to his A&P stamp collection to get that really cool tackling dummy they have in the catalog.
I think it was because P was so shocked that they completed a forward pass for more than 10 yards, he wasn't sure what to do.
It really is if you read some of the posts over there its literally like they just changed the board name from Syracuse to Uconn because its exactly the same. The time managment issue is zero surprise neither is the refusal to throw on any down but 3rd.

Instead of hiring some stupid bogus "search consultants" in Jaunary 2011 we should have just given some of that $50K to the Syracuse board. They could have saved us a lot of trouble.
Seriously, Hathaway should be ashamed of himself for causing this mess, doubly so for putting a good man in a situation where he was way above his head.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are only coaches able to call TOs in college? I'm pretty sure every player on the field knew a TO needed to be called right after that catch, it would have been nice if one of them would have. For me this failure at the end of the half, and whether we hit the FG or not, this was total failure in clock management, was even more frustrating than the constant runs up the middle.

True, but when running the two-minute drill the coaching staff and the players have to be on the same page with using and calling TO's. This is crap that every team practices during the spring and fall.

Most college teams have the coach call it since few teams have QB's savvy enough to know all the intracacies of clock management. Turns out some coaches are bad at it too.

Reaction Score

True. The problem with P and GDL is: it's the exact same thing they were saying at Syracuse. Exact. And they were fired from Syracuse.

We're supposed to learn from the mistakes our rivals make, not replicate them. Unless you are Jeff Hathaway of course.

This is like that scene from "Arrested Development" where Tobias tells Lindsey that an open relationship never works, but that it just might work for them.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is the coach didn't understand that there was a problem.

With three TOs and 23 seconds he could have called a TO and ran McCombs up the middle twice -against a team in a prevent defense- and shortened the kick without almost any risk.

His explanation that he was afraid of a sack, sad as that explanation was, didn't even have to come into play.

That's what a savvy high school coach would have done. The fact he thought, we were alright there, is one of the worse indictments of his judgement in tenure at UConn.

Reaction Score
This quote made me chuckle

"well, we all know that P long ago named Deleone OC for life - I see lots of their fans writing about how they're willing to give P more time, but Deleone has got to go.... gives me a good chuckle"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know I remember the condolences from there when P was chosen. At the time I thought they were just talking smack.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I think a lot of BE schools feel bad for us ... Of course after they laugh at us.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think a lot of BE schools feel bad for us ... Of course after they laugh at us.
Pretty similar to how we looked at the Krag Ville team.

Reaction Score
The worst offensive team I ever saw play in our D1a era was Buffalo ... before Warde Manual fired that guy & brought in Gill. I think PP & GDL are getting really close to that memory.

And YESSS ... I read those SU boards 10 years & could not understand what they were complaining about (after a nice 15 year PP run).

Reaction Score
I just couldn't resist the temptation to go over there and post in that thread.
You were just going after gratuitous "likes" over there. :cool:

Both are good guys (Cuse fans still like Coach P and D) but most on our board felt the game passed them by. Our game in 9 days will be interesting as the winner will likely keep bowl hopes alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom