Its been a heck of a couple of weeks recruiting | The Boneyard

Its been a heck of a couple of weeks recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I've been reading about our verbals and freshman class and a couple of things stand out. When talking to these kids its about team work, and its about the team. As good as they are and as highly as they are ranked its not about them its about making plays for the team. All the talent in the world doesn't make you a champion unless you are a team first. Look at all the teams over the past couple of seasons who had the number 1 ranked class coming in and who failed to make the elite 8 or FF. Look at the teams who have consistently made the elite 8 and FF. Those who made is shared the ball, were good passing and defensive teams and had a go to player. They know how to execute and run plays. Maybe not a superstar go to player but they all had one and they know how to get her open when they need a basket.

Those teams with the number 1 recruiting class that didnt make the elite 8 or FF lacked team work. Depended to much on one on one, lacked good passing and the fundamental skills of team work. Those teams that won the elite 8 and got into the FF had great coaching, that emphasized playing team ball.

Over the past couple of weeks this board has been excited and more excited then I've seen in a while. We have terrific kids and terrific players coming in. Geno is big on having plenty of guards and we've got that this season. We have imo 3 definite AAs in KML Stewart and Mojeff. If Tuck is 100% she will make a big impact. I also expect Saniya and MoJeff to start in the backcourt. Both have proven they can handle the ball without making mistakes, both know the system and both can play defense. Kiah will surprise alot of people this season. She showed signs last season but this season she doesn't have Stef, its all about her. This season she will shine.

Injuries and foul trouble could make some games interesting for UConn because of their lack of depth in the post. But interesting is one thing and beating UConn is another thing. Last season Uconn beat top teams by an average of 19pts+/-. Thats alot to overcome. Yes UConn graduated Bria and Stef but they also have a bench and they have KML and Stewart who imo are Co NPOY. Both will and can put up huge numbers inside and out. How will teams defend them? Who will they not guard who can't hit a shot? Defending UConn this season will be very difficult.

The question marks are Tuck and Williams. Will they be 100%. Can they play meaningful minutes. If Tuck is 100% she will have a huge impact this season. She will be the post player we need to go along with Stokes and Stewart. Her inside presence with them gives us a huge lineup at 6'4 6'3 6'3.

So who can compete with UConn this season. SCarolina is a very strong team and is on UConns schedule. ND has a great group coming back and are on UConns schedule. Tenn has a strong and talented roster as does UCLA but neither is on UConns schedule . The question is can they compete with UConn. IMO NO.

Ekmark Williams Edwards and Nurse. These are the gems, the guards who can create. This group is the difference from last season. We lacked depth at the guard position because of injuries and inexperience. The development of this class is important to UConns future.

Butler Boykin Collier and Samuelson. What a quartet. Their verbals exploded the enthusiasm on the Boneyard. They answered alot of doubts running through UConns fans heads. This group put UConn over the top. Nothing more needs to be said. It is going to be fun to watch their development. They've got height, and can score and rebound. Most importantly they talk about the team.

Will these two classes make UConn Unbeatable? With their roster, and incoming class Uconn will be very difficult to beat. The following season will make it even more difficult. Its not going to get any easier for opponents over the next 5 years. Geno has once again beat his best with these two classes. It would be nice to have a a Final Four in NYC to make it easier for us to attend. Maybe MSG? Maybe SNY can help make that happen.

Reaction Score
I've been reading about our verbals and freshman class and a couple of things stand out. When talking to these kids its about team work, and its about the team. As good as they are and as highly as they are ranked its not about them its about making plays for the team. All the talent in the world doesn't make you a champion unless you are a team first. Look at all the teams over the past couple of seasons who had the number 1 ranked class coming in and who failed to make the elite 8 or FF. Look at the teams who have consistently made the elite 8 and FF. Those who made is shared the ball, were good passing and defensive teams and had a go to player. They know how to execute and run plays. Maybe not a superstar go to player but they all had one and they know how to get her open when they need a basket.

Those teams with the number 1 recruiting class that didnt make the elite 8 or FF lacked team work. Depended to much on one on one, lacked good passing and the fundamental skills of team work. Those teams that won the elite 8 and got into the FF had great coaching, that emphasized playing team ball.

Over the past couple of weeks this board has been excited and more excited then I've seen in a while. We have terrific kids and terrific players coming in. Geno is big on having plenty of guards and we've got that this season. We have imo 3 definite AAs in KML Stewart and Mojeff. If Tuck is 100% she will make a big impact. I also expect Saniya and MoJeff to start in the backcourt. Both have proven they can handle the ball without making mistakes, both know the system and both can play defense. Kiah will surprise alot of people this season. She showed signs last season but this season she doesn't have Stef, its all about her. This season she will shine.

Injuries and foul trouble could make some games interesting for UConn because of their lack of depth in the post. But interesting is one thing and beating UConn is another thing. Last season Uconn beat top teams by an average of 19pts+/-. Thats alot to overcome. Yes UConn graduated Bria and Stef but they also have a bench and they have KML and Stewart who imo are Co NPOY. Both will and can put up huge numbers inside and out. How will teams defend them? Who will they not guard who can't hit a shot? Defending UConn this season will be very difficult.

The question marks are Tuck and Williams. Will they be 100%. Can they play meaningful minutes. If Tuck is 100% she will have a huge impact this season. She will be the post player we need to go along with Stokes and Stewart. Her inside presence with them gives us a huge lineup at 6'4 6'3 6'3.

So who can compete with UConn this season. SCarolina is a very strong team and is on UConns schedule. ND has a great group coming back and are on UConns schedule. Tenn has a strong and talented roster as does UCLA but neither is on UConns schedule . The question is can they compete with UConn. IMO NO.

Ekmark Williams Edwards and Nurse. These are the gems, the guards who can create. This group is the difference from last season. We lacked depth at the guard position because of injuries and inexperience. The development of this class is important to UConns future.

Butler Boykin Collier and Samuelson. What a quartet. Their verbals exploded the enthusiasm on the Boneyard. They answered alot of doubts running through UConns fans heads. This group put UConn over the top. Nothing more needs to be said. It is going to be fun to watch their development. They've got height, and can score and rebound. Most importantly they talk about the team.

Will these two classes make UConn Unbeatable? With their roster, and incoming class Uconn will be very difficult to beat. The following season will make it even more difficult. Its not going to get any easier for opponents over the next 5 years. Geno has once again beat his best with these two classes. It would be nice to have a a Final Four in NYC to make it easier for us to attend. Maybe MSG? Maybe SNY can help make that happen.
How about Asia Durr, is she coming to UCONN? If she does will someone else transfer or will everyone have a spot. What are your thoughts for the board Tony?

Reaction Score
How about Asia Durr, is she coming to UCONN? If she does will someone else transfer or will everyone have a spot. What are your thoughts for the board Tony?

I get the impression from an article about her in another thread that UCONN has a very good chance of landing Asia.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO and I have no insider information but I think she comes. All she needs is some reassurance. My reasoning is we're loaded and we are in position to be number 1 in the polls for the next 5 years. The gurus say she is the best point guard in quite a while. Why wouldnt she come to UConn. A few months back rumors said she had UConn at the top of her list. Uconn received LOIs from 4 guards coming in this season. Perhaps that made her weary. Again I think she needs some reassurance, but she's the best and that tells me she wants NCs and there is no place better then UConn. Heck look at who we've got and who has verballed. If she comes I would have to wonder if my prediction of 195-0 will fall a little short. Lol Can you imagine what Breanna Stewarts senior year would be like????

There are fans out there that say Geno is a great coach but not the best. Some argue Pat. Well I've gotta tell ya based on his record and what he's accomplished and what his future looks like. He has taken WCBB to a level that only dreamers can dream about and we may be living a dream the next 5 seasons. On paper UConn shouldn't lose a game. I dont think they will after this season. There is no coach in WCBB and perhaps MCBB that will have Geno's numbers in 5 years. Its mindboggleing. Almost unbelievable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc