It kills me to say it but.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It kills me to say it but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not just that, but more importantly (IMO) they are able to pressure the perimeter like no other team we face, so that it's harder for us to make good entry passes, and the passes we *can* make are either 1) weak--and easier to pick off--or 2) steered to spots that they are only too happy to see the ball go. IOW they don't just jump the lanes; many times they alter them considerably.

As Cat has mentioned a number of times, the real key for us is making ND pay for this pressure. To date, we haven't been able to do that. There are a number of things you can try, and I'm sure Geno and Shea are focusing on them big time in the lead up to Sunday. Our guards have to avoid/anticipate traps and do a better job of getting past the initial perimeter D via the dribble when needed. Far too often, we have let them play 'offense' on defense by bringing pressure to us. We can't have that. We need to dictate on our end of the floor.

"they are able to pressure the perimeter like no other team we face, so that it's harder for us to make good entry passes,"

Spot on.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of the ways to break pressure is not simply to cross the mid court line but to immediately penetrate the defense while crossing it. The worst thing one can do is cross it and stop creating the mid court line as another sideline. By penetrating all the way into at least the top of the key you force the defense to suddenly implode having to chase. That collapse can frequently result in a spot up opportunity somewhere when now kicking back out against the onrushing D.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not just that, but more importantly (IMO) they are able to pressure the perimeter like no other team we face, so that it's harder for us to make good entry passes, and the passes we *can* make are either 1) weak--and easier to pick off--or 2) steered to spots that they are only too happy to see the ball go. IOW they don't just jump the lanes; many times they alter them considerably.

As Cat has mentioned a number of times, the real key for us is making ND pay for this pressure. To date, we haven't been able to do that. There are a number of things you can try, and I'm sure Geno and Shea are focusing on them big time in the lead up to Sunday. Our guards have to avoid/anticipate traps and do a better job of getting past the initial perimeter D via the dribble when needed. Far too often, we have let them play 'offense' on defense by bringing pressure to us. We can't have that. We need to dictate on our end of the floor.

Agree on failing to anticipate ND's traps. ND's guards have pretty good size and UConn's guards just have not been able to pass over the traps or dribble through them. The best way to beat pressure is to attack it. I thought UConn eventually did that against Kentucky after being flustered for the first few minutes. Also, Diggins is not a great on ball defender. Good, confident guards can drive by her as Alexis Jones showed the other night. What she is great at is stripping the ball, either straight on or her patented (and never called) swipe from behind. She is very strong and has unbelievably quick hands. UConn really does need a confident and aggressive Bria Hartley.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
One of the ways to break pressure is not simply to cross the mid court line but to immediately penetrate the defense while crossing it. The worst thing one can do is cross it and stop creating the mid court line as another sideline. By penetrating all the way into at least the top of the key you force the defense to suddenly implode having to chase. That collapse can frequently result in a spot up opportunity somewhere when now kicking back out against the onrushing D.

That's a good point - often times if we don't have a transition opportunity going, our player with the ball will bring it across midcourt and then pause at a very high position, looking to initiate the offense, or pass the ball to the wing -- who is also at a very high point on the court.

Reaction Score
Charley Creme has us beating Louisville for the Nat. Championship, whatever that's worth.

We must attack that pressure. They have very good hands, and tip a lot of balls. We must be careful with our dribble and our passing. Ithink the Kentucky game was good for us. They have very quick hands and press you hard the entire game. Moriah scared me at first, but I came away a true believer.

Notre Dame has not played against the UCONN team that beat Kentucky and Maryland. If we make shots and everyone gets involved...I just don't see them staying with us. We must believe ! We must dictate. If they punch us, we must punch back harder. Get the transitiopn game going, and do not let up ! Attack, attack, attack ! GO UCONN GO !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom