Isiah Thomas Becomes President & Part Owner of NY Liberty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Isiah Thomas Becomes President & Part Owner of NY Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I do not want to hear anyone accuse Phoenix of tanking to get Griner, as this is clearly part of the #TankForStewie campaign...

Reaction Score
Just Announced via twitter

Sarah Spain Questioning move.

Isiah Thomas, he of the '07 sexual harassment lawsuit that cost the Knicks $11mil, named president/part owner of the WNBA's NY Liberty. Huh.
Putting the sexual harassment lawsuit aside for a moment, this is a really, really, really bad decision.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The NY Times, Daily News and Post all had columns characterized by scathing criticism of both Dolan and Thomas. NY Newsday was less critical -- no wonder, this publication is owned by Cablevision (Dolan)!

Dolan persists in refuting "allegations" about the sexual harassment charge against MSG and Thomas. A jury verdict of guilty is not an allegation. Six of seven jurors wanted to lighten Thomas's bank account; the lone holdout saved Thomas a ton of dough (MSG settled with the victim for $11.6 million.).

Phil Jackson gets paid $12 million a year to run the Knicks. It is no longer a matter of IF but WHEN that he will get a generous buyout as he vacates his office so Thomas can move in (just as Laimbeer simultaneously moves to the Knicks bench as coach).

These bizarre events must have been inspired by the plot of "The Producers."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Simple solution---if you can't fire Isiah, assuming he deserves firing, then dissolve the Liberty Franchise and do a better job of Vetting all the coaches including Pokey Chapman and executives in both NBA and the WNBA!!
Let me see if I undrstand you correctly. To get rid of Thomas you would dissolve the Liberty Fanchise? Why? What WNBA issues remain "unvetted" with regards to Pokey Chapman being a WNBA coach. She has been a head coach and general manager since October 29, 2010!

Reaction Score
Thomas has some cash and has been fired from every post NBA career job that he ever had, even a voluntary one down in a Fl college. To be part owner of the Liberty, he has to put up some of his cash and he has to put in a lot to get the presidency. Now, Dolan can let Thomas' money run out without spending anymore and close shop. All the blames and financial loss will be on Thomas.

In the miraculous case of the Liberty winning a Championship under Thomas, Dolan will be considered a genius.

Win/win situation for Dolan.

Reaction Score
Let me see if I undrstand you correctly. To get rid of Thomas you would dissolve the Liberty Fanchise? Why? What WNBA issues remain "unvetted" with regards to Pokey Chapman being a WNBA coach. She has been a head coach and general manager since October 29, 2010!
If Pokey's inappropriate relationship with a former player at LSU a few years ago is not a "WNBA" issue, then why is Isiah's sexual harassment of a fellow Knicks executive a few years ago a "WNBA" issue?

Reaction Score
If Pokey's inappropriate relationship with a former player at LSU a few years ago is not a "WNBA" issue, then why is Isiah's sexual harassment of a fellow Knicks executive a few years ago a "WNBA" issue?

An "inappropriate relationship" is not against the law, "sexual harassment" is.

Reaction Score
An "inappropriate relationship" is not against the law, "sexual harassment" is.
Not against the law, but "inappropriate enough - especially in a coaching situation -to get her fired from LSU. Isiah was not convicted of anything (civil suit). Don't get me wrong - I think he's low-life creep. But I don't understand why the WBB world was so hush about Pokey coming back to coaching.

Reaction Score
Not against the law, but "inappropriate enough - especially in a coaching situation -to get her fired from LSU. Isiah was not convicted of anything (civil suit). Don't get me wrong - I think he's low-life creep. But I don't understand why the WBB world was so hush about Pokey coming back to coaching.

Maybe Pokey has had some professional success, Thomas has been a failure everywhere he's been?

Reaction Score
Oh yeah - sorry, got my priorities mixed up there for a minute....

If Bobby Knight came out of retirement and was selected instead of Thomas, what do you think the reaction would be like?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because Pokey's inappropriate relationship with her former player at LSU WAS an WNBA issue & WAS vetted in 2010 before she became a WNBA GM and coach. Isaiah Thomas is ABOUT to become president of a WNBA franchise. Thomas' sexual harrassment issue IS/SHOULD be part of that vetting process today.
My point was you don't vet an issue (Pokey's) 5 years after the person has been holding down the job.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are splitting the hairs too finely IMO. Pokey actually resigned from LSU-Tchnically not fired. Although Isiah was "not convicted" the civil award was $11Mil. Even the dumbest juries & judges do not award that much without some indication of wrondoing. Both were involved in reprehensible behavior IMO. The WNBA was not Hush Hush about Pokey's situation at LSU upon her hiring in 2010 as you indicate. There was plenty of scrutinity heightened by the speculation that the player with who Pokey had the relationship was herself in the WNBA. Pokey has been GM and Coach in WNBA for 5 years now, at what point does the 2007 LSU incident stop reflecting on her ability to coach in the WNBA today?

Reaction Score
The WNBA was not Hush Hush about Pokey's situation at LSU upon her hiring in 2010 as you indicate. There was plenty of scrutinity heightened by the speculation that the player with who Pokey had the relationship was herself in the WNBA. Pokey has been GM and Coach in WNBA for 5 years now, at what point does the 2007 LSU incident stop reflecting on her ability to coach in the WNBA today?
No time soon, apparently. I'm not the one who brought up Pokey in this thread, but she seems to be getting plenty of discussion here, which might indicate that discussion is apropos to the Liberty/Thomas situation regardless of how long ago her inappropriate and unprofessional behavior was.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No time soon, apparently. I'm not the one who brought up Pokey in this thread, but she seems to be getting plenty of discussion here, which might indicate that discussion is apropos to the Liberty/Thomas situation regardless of how long ago her inappropriate and unprofessional behavior was.
BroadwayVA suggested a vetting of Pokey and all WNBA coaches, you implied agreement. You don't vet someone for a job 5 years after they have been in the Job IMO. I'm not taking a position on Pokey being right or wrong more common sense.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Because Pokey, so far as is known, didn't "harass" someone, she (reportedly) had an inappropriate relationship, given that she was the coach and the other a player. Same as a professor and a student, or, in my opinion, a boss and a worker. It isn't illegal, LSU actually had no policy against it even though they didn't condone it (I hope they do now), and it was never investigated to "prove anything" because it wasn't a crime. Like any other black mark on a resume, it would be considered when hiring, and for all we know there were special clauses in her contract to ensure she didn't do likewise with a player on her pro team. The WNBA's concern would most likely be that they needed to be convinced that it wasn't going to re-occur. I'll add that my wife was my employee and she wanted to date me (her idea) enough that she quit her job so that I would go out with her. I felt there was a line there that I wouldn't cross - but was it illegal if I had - no. Was it against company policy - yes.

As to Thomas, I don't know exactly what was proven and not, but there is a strong suggestion that he sexually harassed someone. Big difference.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Pokey's "inappropriate relationship" with an undergrad player at LSU was presumably consensual, with an adult (age 18+) -- no violence, rape or assault. An unfortunate lapse in judgment by Pokey that most certainly closed all college coaching doors to her, probably permanently. The WNBA took a bit of a risk when she was hired but it now appears to have been a good decision, benefiting the WNBA.

Thomas's hire by MSG offers no such promise of redemption or success for the WNBA.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Isiah Thomas, he of the '07 sexual harassment lawsuit that cost the Knicks $11mil, named president/part owner of the WNBA's NY Liberty. Huh
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc