Ishmael El-Amin | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ishmael El-Amin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ishmael El-Amin has had a good season with 3 games left in the regular season
He is averaging 15 pts, 5 asts,8 rebs. While shooting over 50% from the field and over 45% from the 3pt line. He is also shooting 80% from the free throw line. He has lead his High School team to a 21-1 record.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Latest #s: Consensus 3-star recruit, ranked anywhere from 150-190 or so (same range Cassell Jr. was). He has offers from DePaul, Texas Tech and Nevada according to VerbalCommits.

Here's our latest scholarship grid, courtesy of @tcf15
DTvamh3.jpg

Obviously things can change, but the more I look at this the more I think we'll get MAL and call it a day on PGs for 2017. Jalen might be good enough to go to the NBA after that season (his junior year), but even so we'll have Alterique & MAL coming up, and there's a reason we're recruiting Ayala (2018 PG from Putnam Science) so hard.

EDIT: And to a little more clear... I suspect that by 2017-18, Hamilton will be gone, which leaves us with five spots. However, I also suspect that we're going to get MAL and Diallo, which will make our depth chart this:

PG: Adams, Alterique, MAL
SG: Diallo
SF: Larrier, Jackson
PF: Durham, Diarra
C: Enoch, Brown

So my guess for '17 is we end up going after either a pure SG or a big combo guard to back up/compete with Diallo, and quite possibly another big.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Latest #s: Consensus 3-star recruit, ranked anywhere from 150-190 or so (same range Cassell Jr. was). He has offers from DePaul, Texas Tech and Nevada according to VerbalCommits.

Here's our latest scholarship grid, courtesy of @tcf15
DTvamh3.jpg

Obviously things can change, but the more I look at this the more I think we'll get MAL and call it a day on PGs for 2017. Jalen might be good enough to go to the NBA after that season (his junior year), but even so we'll have Alterique & MAL coming up, and there's a reason we're recruiting Ayala (2018 PG from Putnam Science) so hard.

EDIT: And to a little more clear... I suspect that by 2017-18, Hamilton will be gone, which leaves us with five spots. However, I also suspect that we're going to get MAL and Diallo, which will make our depth chart this:

PG: Adams, Alterique, MAL
SG: Diallo
SF: Larrier, Jackson
PF: Durham, Diarra
C: Enoch, Brown

So my guess for '17 is we end up going after either a pure SG or a big combo guard to back up/compete with Diallo, and quite possibly another big.
Gotta save a couple of spots for walkons!

Reaction Score
He's got some speed and explosiveness. It also looks like some of those threes were from very deep.

Release looks a little low and while his handle looks good, it doesn't look as tight as some other top guards. That can be deceiving though, so performance against great competition will be the best barometer. I certainly hope KO believes in him and brings him in. I love the El Amin attitude.
If I were KEA I'd ask for a paternity test. Ishmael can dunk.

Reaction Score
No one could command the floor like KEA.
He was born to be a PG. There are thousands of kids who can dunk. One in millions gifted with Kahlids skills.
He was another coach on the floor , earning the respect of that veteran team as a freshman is a rare occurance.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
maybe Nadav or Chris S. in terms of helping the Huskies turn the corner, but I would go with Khalid. If this team had KEA as a freshman, they would be a Top Ten team.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Remember if Ollie didn't come here, he wouldn't be our coach right now.

Reaction Score
Khalid made us a champion... He's our most important recruit in making us UConn and a "blue-blood." Without Khalid, we are like any other school that had some good teams but had an elite eight ceiling.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In their own time:

Corny Thompson
Chris Smith
Donyell Marshall
Rip Hamilton
Kahlid
KO getting Shabazz to stay

were all huge

Who will we be saying this about 10 years from now? DHam, JA, AG?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Who will we be saying this about 10 years from now? DHam, JA, AG?
10 years from now the answer will be Ollie. You could already make the case that he's the most important recruit we've ever had.

As for best recruit Ollie himself landed... I suspect DHam will be his Donyell. But nothing KO does in terms of landing new players will compare to keeping Shabazz around.

Reaction Score
Khalid made us a champion... He's our most important recruit in making us UConn and a "blue-blood." Without Khalid, we are like any other school that had some good teams but had an elite eight ceiling.

You could make that argument about almost every player on the 98-99 roster.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Uconn's most important recruit: Jim Calhoun
Calhoun's most important recruit: Chris Smith
Ollie's most important recruit: Alterique Gilbert

Reaction Score
You could make that argument about almost every player on the 98-99 roster.

I disagree. Without Khalid, Ricky is your point guard. Khalid came along because Ricky was so shaky while running the show in 96-97. The fact that Khalid, on his recruiting visit, became the team's leader speaks volumes to what that team of very talented, young players needed. We all would agree that Khalid has been a once-in-a-lifetime personality/leader. In my opinion, he is the reason we went from being a good team with a coach could not win the big one to being arguably the most successful basketball school of the past 25 years. We had had players like Rip before, we had guys like Freeman and Jake etc. We had never had a Khalid.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Without Khalid, Ricky is your point guard. Khalid came along because Ricky was so shaky while running the show in 96-97. The fact that Khalid, on his recruiting visit, became the team's leader speaks volumes to what that team of very talented, young players needed. We all would agree that Khalid has been a once-in-a-lifetime personality/leader. In my opinion, he is the reason we went from being a good team with a coach could not win the big one to being arguably the most successful basketball school of the past 25 years. We had had players like Rip before, we had guys like Freeman and Jake etc. We had never had a Khalid.

This is nonsense. There are a number of players on the 98-99 roster who, but for them, we don't win the title that year. Khalid was not the only critical player on that team.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Khalid put us over the top. But Rip got us close. We don't win without both (unless Ricky played like he did in the final, all year)
But RIip was the man on that team

Reaction Score
I agree with the list above-they were all important recruits. One thing about Corny that maybe the younger fans here might not realize is that without Corny, one of the top 5 recruits that year who we beat NC for his services, we probably don't get a Big East invite. That alone brought us the rest of this list-some of them might not have committed if we weren't in the Big East! Regional---National power!

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. There are a number of players on the 98-99 roster who, but for them, we don't win the title that year. Khalid was not the only critical player on that team.

Didn't say Khalid was the only critical player. But he was the missing piece that finally took us to the next level. I honestly believe we do not win a title without him. For that reason he is the most important recruit b/c with that title we are legitimized and we are not UConn/Purdue with a well-respected coach who could never win the big one. JC was often compared to Gene Keady in the 90s.

Reaction Score
Something i found on the internet. Looks like he grew since AAU, looks a lot longer and more athletic. Also looks like he has a crispy smooth jump shot. What do you guys think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom