Is Williams really the answer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Williams really the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched every snap he took this year. I didn't think that anything he did makes a lock for the number one job. I would describe his play as marginally adequate. He has a strong arm but not a consistently accurate one. Big guy, moves okay. His decision making was not anything special.

In a way I am glad he got some experience. But I would play everyone until someone shows something in a game. Production on the field should be the ONLY thing that matters, freshman or senior, every position including QB.

I don't trust Diaco's judgement. He would yank Casey out of a game in the middle of a drive and put in Whitmer. That's just nutty. But Diaco is the guy making the call. He loves Williams but it's tough to know why.

I say, show me.

And I am betting he will. He's a freshmen! Let's give him a chance. He may surprise you! Here is an excerpt from an article on this subject of starting true freshmen QB's. I also attached the article.

"Stepping on the field for the first time can be dizzying". Lock said the first time he saw the field, as a backup against Southeast Missouri State, he was “practically hyperventilating.” When he made his first career start a month later against South Carolina, he also had to calm his nerves. Once he settled in, the next thing he had to do was adjust to the speed of the game, which many freshmen say is one of the most challenging parts of starting.

“You have 300-plus-pounders moving at the speed of the fastest guys in high school you would see,” Lock said. “You have faster corners out there that you've ever seen in your life. You're throwing at targets that are faster than guys you ever have. And it's hard not to think about pressure out there. You have a whole state and university relying on you. You're the face of it. That was difficult.”

Why starting a true freshman quarterback is so hard

Reaction Score
I watched every snap he took this year. I didn't think that anything he did makes a lock for the number one job. I would describe his play as marginally adequate. He has a strong arm but not a consistently accurate one. Big guy, moves okay. His decision making was not anything special.
In a way I am glad he got some experience. But I would play everyone until someone shows something in a game. Production on the field should be the ONLY thing that matters, freshman or senior, every position including QB.
I don't trust Diaco's judgement. He would yank Casey out of a game in the middle of a drive and put in Whitmer. That's just nutty. But Diaco is the guy making the call. He loves Williams but it's tough to know why.
I say, show me.

Agree with your comments on Diaco's moves re: Casey and similar situations (burning a RS)..... now let's make the most of it.... IMO, I think most of the BY is jumping the gun on a true freshmen QB. The three starts at the end of a disastrous season will only help him assimilate into 2017. If you have ever played any sport at the college level, big difference stepping up as a freshmen against players sometimes 5 years older - and getting fried and hung out to dry by the system, game calls & those around you... let's wait and see... I think we are going to be pleased with the outcome.

Reaction Score
Me too - I was looking for at least glimmers of potential to justify Diaco's evaluation - and quite frankly I did not see it. But then again, the system is so bad - Tom Brady would have looked bad.
agree with you chief.... the system needs revision before final judgement on an 18 year old true freshman is completed.....your thoughts on Brady--- Pats changed back to long time OL coach Dante Scharnecchia and the results for Brady and RB Legarret Blount have been great this year. Hopefully, HCBD has a new "Dante" in the works along with a new OC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I still use McEntee as a verb when a QB throws a pass directly at a defender. i.e., he McEntee'd that ball

I'll still remember McEntee as the guy who beat #20 Louisville in their house when Whitmer got injured.

How's this for a fun fact: McEntee beat a top 25 football team that game in 2012, and we've only done it once since then (Shireffs vs. #13 Houston 2015).

Now I'm going to go to the bathroom and put my head in the urinal... :oops:

Reaction Score
I'll still remember McEntee as the guy who beat #20 Louisville in their house when Whitmer got injured.

How's this for a fun fact: McEntee beat a top 25 football team that game in 2012, and we've only done it once since then (Shireffs vs. #13 Houston 2015).

Now I'm going to go to the bathroom and put my head in the urinal... :oops:

I get what your saying, but I kind of remember Lyle McCombs as the guy who beat them. 169 total yards. McEntee went 2/7 with 20 yards and a short TD. I remember him more for this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

And ironically, the regular starter was not the primary QB in that game either. Shirreffs was convinced he was Batman in the middle of the 1st quarter. Tim Boyle played the vast majority of the snaps at QB and Garrett Anderson threw the option TD that almost went the other way for six (off the Boyle lateral on the same play).

Reaction Score

I say, show me.
There are five QB's listed on the roster who could return and Williams is the one only who has played, besides Sherrifs. Who do you think will start next year?

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that if our qb play doesn't significantly improved, 3 wins or less is in our future.

There was not one flash from Donavan Williams last year. He can run fast in a straight line, that's what I saw. Very inaccurate, no pocket presence, doesn't go through progressions, and when asked to run does not have any moves to elude defenders. He does not understand protections at all which caused him to get destroyed several times. That is one area, however, that can improve with film study and game experience. Just not sure he can overcome the other glaring deficiencies in his game. Rooting for him though.

As for Coach Diacos high praise. I believe nothing that comes out of his mouth when it comes to anything football. Seems like a really good guy, but he is completely in over his head as a head coach.

Reaction Score
Diaco needs to just be quiet and coach football. Claiming this guy or that guy is the best in the country is just a dumb thing. Saying it about a true Frosh quarterback is beyond foolish.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that if our qb play doesn't significantly improved, 3 wins or less is in our future.

There was not one flash from Donavan Williams last year. He can run fast in a straight line, that's what I saw. Very inaccurate, no pocket presence, doesn't go through progressions, and when asked to run does not have any moves to elude defenders. He does not understand protections at all which caused him to get destroyed several times. That is one area, however, that can improve with film study and game experience. Just not sure he can overcome the other glaring deficiencies in his game. Rooting for him though.

As for Coach Diacos high praise. I believe nothing that comes out of his mouth when it comes to anything football. Seems like a really good guy, but he is completely in over his head as a head coach.

Good point on his lack of elusiveness. I really thought he would be a true dual threat Qb...I don't see that. He really didn't show much more elusiveness than Sheriffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom