is UConn gonna play Ohio State in football??? | The Boneyard

is UConn gonna play Ohio State in football???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Keep seeing weird (unconfirmed tweets) that implies we're playing the Buckeyes in football. Anybody catch wind of that? If true that's HUGE for our program.

Reaction Score
Well we are playing them in basketball in 2015 and 2016, which I would imagine why you are confused. If not, link?

Reaction Score
Arizona too. Hopefully Diaco can figure out RichRod's offense cause Edsall never could.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No. Probably what you're seeing is a bunch of Michigan fans troll tweeting, like this dude:

Bad Chad‏@GoBlueUofM
Nice to see Ohio State & Urban Meyer finally beefing up the non-conference schedule by adding perennial football powerhouse UConn. #buckeyes

Reaction Score
Now, we could see WM dangling the 2 BB programs in front of other folks to try and get a game. We did this a decade ago (IN, TN, MI) and we should do it again. Me, I'll take a 1 and done or 1 and neutral site game. I just want to see us adopt the motto of anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Reaction Score
Now, we could see WM dangling the 2 BB programs in front of other folks to try and get a game. We did this a decade ago (IN, TN, MI) and we should do it again. Me, I'll take a 1 and done or 1 and neutral site game. I just want to see us adopt the motto of anyone, anytime, anywhere.

The Michigan game had nothing to do with basketball. Michigan was debuting their newly renovated stadium, and wanted a bigger name opponent than an FCS program. There weren't many teams available fitting that description, and willing to open on the road, but UConn was in return for a home game.

Reaction Score
The Michigan game had nothing to do with basketball. Michigan was debuting their newly renovated stadium, and wanted a bigger name opponent than an FCS program. There weren't many teams available fitting that description, and willing to open on the road, but UConn was in return for a home game.

From 2009 ....

"It's somewhat unexpected that Michigan, the team that plays in the largest football stadium in the country, has agreed to play in 40,000 seat Rentschler Field when they visit the Huskies in 2013. Michigan and Connecticut are presently in the middle of a home and home men's basketball series and that might have had something to do with the football arrangement announced last night.

UConn has already announced a home and home football series with the Tennessee Volunteers that begins in Hartford in 2015 and concludes the following year in Tennessee's 105,000 seat Neyland Stadium. These two schools will also meet on the basketball court and have announced a two year series where The Volunteer men will travel to Connecticut in the 2010-11 season and in the 2011-12 season the Connecticut men will play at Tennessee."

Reaction Score
Me, I'll take a 1 and done or 1 and neutral site game. I just want to see us adopt the motto of anyone, anytime, anywhere.
Nice to think small time. While a few people adopt that motto, they don't live by it. I like George O'Leary's take better. "We only do home and homes." Shows you have confidence and pride in your program and concern for your fan base.

I don't object to the ocassional 1 off under the right circumstances. Notre Dame in 2009 was a great boost. But on the whole it is a bad precedent to not play home-home games. It is bad for your program and bad for your fans, who support the team but can't actually go to see you in big games without traveling to who knows where.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
UCF has it a little easier to get teams to come to Orlando because they are in a recruiting hotbed. Not the same thing as CT.

Reaction Score
From 2009 ....

"It's somewhat unexpected that Michigan, the team that plays in the largest football stadium in the country, has agreed to play in 40,000 seat Rentschler Field when they visit the Huskies in 2013. Michigan and Connecticut are presently in the middle of a home and home men's basketball series and that might have had something to do with the football arrangement announced last night.

UConn has already announced a home and home football series with the Tennessee Volunteers that begins in Hartford in 2015 and concludes the following year in Tennessee's 105,000 seat Neyland Stadium. These two schools will also meet on the basketball court and have announced a two year series where The Volunteer men will travel to Connecticut in the 2010-11 season and in the 2011-12 season the Connecticut men will play at Tennessee."

Look, I don't want to get into a pissing match here, it's pointless, but it had nothing to do with basketball.

You've just quoted unconfirmed speculation. A bleacher report article that states "it might have had" something to do with basketball. You might as well be quoting someone from the Conference Realignment board.

UConn had already played one of a two game series with Michigan in basketball. Michigan did not want to play a home and home with UConn, but their fans were pissed they were going to open their re-dedication of the stadium with an FCS opponent. So the AD looked to find a BCS opponent to have a bigger name and UConn stepped up. That's why we had to reschedule our game with Northeastern. That's why a game in 2010 was announced in the summer of 2009. Both teams changed their schedules because of the re-dedication.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Was just going to write this... Especially coming off two national titles in hoops, you would think WM's thinking this direction- use basketball to sell football to opponets.

Reaction Score
Well Ohio St does have one open date for 2017, 18 and 2019. Before you laugh they are playing Tulsa in 2016. By then hopefully the extra 10-20K seat expansion should be complete on the Rent ( har har).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ohio State will not come to the Rent. But it would be nice to get them to agree to a game in NYC (Yankee or MetLife). I would imagine a strong showing at Yankee Stadium against Army would go a LONG way towards showing B1G ADs that UCONN offers them NYC exposure.

Reaction Score
If you build it they will come. Hang in there with Bob Diaco et al. They know what they are doing!

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Nice to think small time. While a few people adopt that motto, they don't live by it. I like George O'Leary's take better. "We only do home and homes." Shows you have confidence and pride in your program and concern for your fan base. I don't object to the ocassional 1 off under the right circumstances. Notre Dame in 2009 was a great boost. But on the whole it is a bad precedent to not play home-home games. It is bad for your program and bad for your fans, who support the team but can't actually go to see you in big games without traveling to who knows where.

I love the concept of only doing home and homes. I also love the concept of bashing the AD when he can only get home and homes with Boise and BYU because big time programs won't do it.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I love the concept of only doing home and homes. I also love the concept of bashing the AD when he can only get home and homes with Boise and BYU because big time programs won't do it.
It's nice to see that the ignore button is paying off, I am not missing the drain on the old IQ.

Reaction Score
The last AD, you know the incompetent one, managed to get home and homes with you know, Michigan and Tennessee. This one almost gave up the Michigan game and seems to have lost Tennessee. But he did get Army. And Holy Cross, by gum. And a home and home with UMass.

Reaction Score
The last AD, you know the incompetent one, managed to get home and homes with you know, Michigan and Tennessee. This one almost gave up the Michigan game and seems to have lost Tennessee. But he did get Army. And Holy Cross, by gum. And a home and home with UMass.

Just a question.... You don't think that Hathaway was just in the right place at the right time and took advantage of the success the Bball programs and Edsalls accomplishments provided, in landing those gigs??? He guy really did jack by all accounts and left us holding our pud when the conference shifts began. All Hathaway's scheduling was done PRE realignment BTW, and it would be virtually impossible to land those series now, no? Warde was handed a sandwich with xtra mayo (no pun) to work with, so we need to see how this plays out don't you think? For the record, I am not pleased about any of the upcoming series, but I think thats out current reality unfortunately....

Reaction Score
Just a question.... You don't think that Hathaway was just in the right place at the right time and took advantage of the success the Bball programs and Edsalls accomplishments provided, in landing those gigs??? He guy really did jack by all accounts and left us holding our pud when the conference shifts began. All Hathaway's scheduling was done PRE realignment BTW, and it would be virtually impossible to land those series now, no? Warde was handed a sandwich with xtra mayo (no pun) to work with, so we need to see how this plays out don't you think? For the record, I am not pleased about any of the upcoming series, but I think thats out current reality unfortunately....

How dare you insult Freescooter's uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom