Is this the year Geno surpasses Barmore? | The Boneyard

Is this the year Geno surpasses Barmore?

Will Geno Surpass Leon Barmore as WBB's Coach With the Highest Winning Percentage?

• Yes

Votes: 58 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Leon Barmore has the highest winning percentage of all women's D1 basketball coaches at .86878 (576 wins, 87 losses). Auriemma is second at .86858 (879 wins, 133 losses).

Here are the facts:
1. If UConn wins its first two games, Geno (temporarily?) goes ahead of Leon (.86884 to .86878).
2. If UConn loses any of its first 9 games, Geno will trail Leon through 9 games.
3. If UConn loses any 2 of its first 16 games, Geno will trail through 16 games.
4. If UConn loses any 3 of its first 24 games, Geno will trail through 24 games.
5. If UConn loses any 4 of its first 32 games, Geno will trail through 32 games.
6. If UConn loses 5 games next year, Geno will trail Leon into the following season. (Assumes maximum 39 games).

Sounds like an obvious YES to me but what do other think?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a point of reference ... in the past 21 seasons (1993-4 season through last year), Uconn has lost more than 4 games in a season only 4 times!
1998-9 - 29-5
2004-5 - 25-8
2005-6 - 32-5
2011-12 - 33-5
In the same time period they have gone undefeated 5 times. They are more likely to go undefeated in any given year than to lose 5 games!

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Those are some impressive stats right there! HOLY COW!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uh, he's doomed, history and math notwithstanding.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Leon Barmore has the highest winning percentage of all women's D1 basketball coaches at .86878 (576 wins, 87 losses). Auriemma is second at .86858 (879 wins, 133 losses).

Here are the facts:
1. If UConn wins its first two games, Geno (temporarily?) goes ahead of Leon (.86884 to .86878).
2. If UConn loses any of its first 9 games, Geno will trail Leon through 9 games.
3. If UConn loses any 2 of its first 16 games, Geno will trail through 16 games.
4. If UConn loses any 3 of its first 24 games, Geno will trail through 24 games.
5. If UConn loses any 4 of its first 32 games, Geno will trail through 32 games.
6. If UConn loses 5 games next year, Geno will trail Leon into the following season. (Assumes maximum 39 games).

I'll vote YES. Can't see us losing more than 2 games this year. (can't really see even that, but just assuming something could go wrong)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
NOt only will Geno overtake Barmore, but he will be on track to overtake John Wooden in terms of NCs. How awesome would that be?

Reaction Score
Just as a point of reference ... in the past 21 seasons (1993-4 season through last year), Uconn has lost more than 4 games in a season only 4 times!
1998-9 - 29-5
2004-5 - 25-8
2005-6 - 32-5
2011-12 - 33-5
In the same time period they have gone undefeated 5 times. They are more likely to go undefeated in any given year than to lose 5 games!
He went 25-8 and kept his job??

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He went 25-8 and kept his job??

Only because of the five NCs to his credit at the time. Clearly, he should have been canned. It just proved he couldn't win without Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, or Diana Taurasi. What a hack.

Reaction Score

Here are the facts:

What is ironic is that Barmore had a mediocre record as a high school coach. His record for a specific high school is 148-49 which is pretty decent but nowhere near the percentages that he attained in his college coaching career. What that says to me is that the talent level of the conference he played in while coaching Louisiana Tech was pretty poor. He did have good teams, some really good but his record is based more on less than stellar competition. I'm inclined to think that most of his losses were probably out of conference when he played a few top ten type teams, including Tennessee. He was in nine final fours and only had one championship which is so far away from what Geno has accomplished. I'm not trying to bash him as he is obviously (or was) an exceptional coach but his record was made against a lot lower level talent than that which Geno has played against.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What is ironic is that Barmore had a mediocre record as a high school coach. His record for a specific high school is 148-49 which is pretty decent but nowhere near the percentages that he attained in his college coaching career. What that says to me is that the talent level of the conference he played in while coaching Louisiana Tech was pretty poor. He did have good teams, some really good but his record is based more on less than stellar competition. I'm inclined to think that most of his losses were probably out of conference when he played a few top ten type teams, including Tennessee. He was in nine final fours and only had one championship which is so far away from what Geno has accomplished. I'm not trying to bash him as he is obviously (or was) an exceptional coach but his record was made against a lot lower level talent than that which Geno has played against.
There is truth in some of what you say, but make no mistake, Leon Barmore was one heck of a coach. He managed to keep his program and his recruiting relevant long after the era of the small(er) conference / school having success was over. Of course his losses were mostly out-of-conference, but he was competitive with the top 10 teams he played. Including his years as Co-Head Coach with Sonja Hogg, he had 1 NC, 4 time National Runner-up, 4 additional Final Fours, 6 Elite 8's and 2 Sweet 16's.

That is just plain impressive. I have always been a big Barmore fan, and I consider it a major accomplishment that Geno has equaled the winning percentage. Leon will always be remembered as one of the small number of coaches that can be considered among the greatest. He has been a member of the WBB Hall of Fame and the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame since 2003.

Reaction Score
Only because of the five NCs to his credit at the time. Clearly, he should have been canned. It just proved he couldn't win without Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, or Diana Taurasi. What a hack.
I seem to remember some fans down south saying pretty much that at the time, actually.

Reaction Score
Really the only reason this discussion wasn't ended long ago was that it took Geno 3 years just to get the program's head above water. The first two years the Huskies were a combined 26 wins and 28 losses. It wasn't until year 3 when they went 17-11 that the program finally went above .500 for good. Barmore, by comparison, went a gaudy 90 wins and 9 losses his first 3 years. Ignoring each's first 3 seasons, Geno's record becomes 836-94 (.899) while Barmore's was still a quite remarkable 486-78 (.862). Had Geno not needed to spend 3 years creating excellence and both coaches had identical records season by season until each was 486-78 (at which time Barmore retired), Geno would have gone on to post an additional 350 wins against just 16 losses (an astonishing 96% success rate)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom