Is there a chance we get a New Year's Surprise | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is there a chance we get a New Year's Surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fact, IIRC, hadn't Edsall's assistants already signed their contracts for the next year before the Fiesta Bowl thinking that there was no chance HCRE was not going to be at UConn in 2011? IIRC, it left both UConn and the assistants in an awkward position with the newly signed one-year c0ntracts (since almost all assistants are on a one year contract) and having a new coach looking to assemble a new staff--thus causing PP to retain many of HCRE's coaches? But I am getting old--so maybe I don't recall that correctly.
You are correct because the staff member I had connections to was told by Jeff Hathaway that he would tell the incoming coach he had to retain him but could only promise him 1 yr since that's what his contract was for.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess is something is happening whether it is someone connected to the program who is looking for a way to pay off what is owed to Diaco.
It is too quiet for nothing to be happening to go with the status quote.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What if Diaco was looking for a way out as he knows he is gone after Jan 1st and he is looking for a landing place. Notre Dame could be the spot along with a few other places looking for a good defensive coordinator which he was and could be on the future.

Reaction Score
Given the damage it will do (see Saulin decommit), if we are waiting over a month to can Diaco to save about $1.5 million we are so done as an athletic program.

Reaction Score
I wonder what it would cost to have Uconns towel waving guy call the plays

Love watching this guy during the games. Unfortunately, was the most exciting part of some of these games...

Reaction Score
Given the damage it will do (see Saulin decommit), if we are waiting over a month to can Diaco to save about $1.5 million we are so done as an athletic program.
Love reading all the posts, opinions and insights on the boneyard. But given all the blowback from the tenure of Coach Diaco and his tenure here, I just can't believe they are going to keep him much past 1/1/17. Most of these administrators are pretty savvy and are aware that cutting him loose makes far more sense than retaining him. Economics? Forget all of that 5 million, 3.4 million mumbo jumbo. At worst, it costs UConn 2 million NET to can this "coach." To all of this, add the question--"Who wants to be tied to this sinking ship?". And don't even try to play the scapegoat card.

Reaction Score
I have consulted my trusty crystal ball and all I am coming up with is....fog.

(That means they have no clue what they are going to do. :) )

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have consulted my trusty crystal ball and all I am coming up with is....fog.

(That means they have no clue what they are going to do. :) )
If Benedict can fundraise the buyout plus extra for the assistant pool (would really help negotiating with a new coach), he'll make the move in Jan. If he can't he won't. At least that's what my magic 8-ball said right after it said "My sources say no" 6 times in a row.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as I am concerned - I have no idea because I look at the fools who agreed and signed on the dotted line to give the clown a $5MM buyout and I cannot expect rational thinking from them. For all I know, they will can him on first day of training camp.
The program is in huge difficulty and the only rational thing to do is clean house NOW
But again rational thinking doesn't seem to be a forte of the UConn executive group
Also - jerk Malloy and all the dolts that voted the commie another term - the $5MM would be doable if he didn't have his hands on the state checkbook and lied his way into the red

Reaction Score
Benedict has to fire him Jan 1st. If he is not allowed to do so (unlikely) , I believe scores of players will transfer and we will have decommits from many recruits. My educated guess tells me SH knows just as well as DB what's at stake here, and has gotten the blessing of the BOT to do what's necessary. I'd be shocked if DB has not already had discreet informal conversations with some coaching candidates. Losing to Tulane like we did was bad enough but burning Williams redshirt was huge.
Your quote.."losing to Tulane was based bad but burning DW RS was huge.
Think it should be the other way around burning was bad but loss TO TULANE was huge as it spoke volumes about losing to a team perceived s the worst in the AAC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm sorry guys but I have a pessimist feeling. Rule 1 in contract negotiation - don't ever agree to something that you feel like you can't deliver. A logical mind would say that we would have never agreed to up the buyout to $5M if we didn't feel pretty confident that we couldn't exercise it, if needed. No, I don't think anyone in their right minds saw another 2014 season in 2016 pre-season, but here we are. The buyout is very much needed right now. If we can't afford $5M, then I don't think we can afford $3.4M either. I hope I am 100% wrong.

Bob Diaco is not ready to be a head coach at this level. Could he be ready in a few years? Maybe. But he's not ready now and we can't afford to wait and around and hope he eventually gets it. UConn needs a guy who can come in, sell tickets, get the fanbase energized again, land a few FBS level speed players, and win some football games ASAP. Joe Moorhead checks all of those boxes and probably wouldn't cost us $3M/yr either.

As-is only ensures that we are going to lose a lot more football games in 2017 and hear more of the same ol' self-interest job protection garbage about everything being a 100-level process again. The longer there is silence, the more hope I lose. We needed to get out in front of the coaching hire pool if nothing else, to generate some headlines that Houston is generating (interviewing Les Miles and Lane Kiffin) to energize the fanbase again. At least pretend that we care about football and that there is reason for fans to buy tickets.

Reaction Score
Also - jerk Malloy and all the dolts that voted the commie another term - the $5MM would be doable if he didn't have his hands on the state checkbook and lied his way into the red

Here we go again - The State budget has absolutely nothing to do w/ funding the UConn Athletic Department buyout of any coach. Zero, zippo, nil!

Reaction Score
I'm sorry guys but I have a pessimist feeling. Rule 1 in contract negotiation - don't ever agree to something that you feel like you can't deliver. A logical mind would say that we would have never agreed to up the buyout to $5M if we didn't feel pretty confident that we couldn't exercise it, if needed. No, I don't think anyone in their right minds saw another 2014 season in 2016 pre-season, but here we are. The buyout is very much needed right now. If we can't afford $5M, then I don't think we can afford $3.4M either. I hope I am 100% wrong.

Bob Diaco is not ready to be a head coach at this level. Could he be ready in a few years? Maybe. But he's not ready now and we can't afford to wait and around and hope he eventually gets it. UConn needs a guy who can come in, sell tickets, get the fanbase energized again, land a few FBS level speed players, and win some football games ASAP. Joe Moorhead checks all of those boxes and probably wouldn't cost us $3M/yr either.

As-is only ensures that we are going to lose a lot more football games in 2017 and hear more of the same ol' self-interest job protection garbage about everything being a 100-level process again. The longer there is silence, the more hope I lose. We needed to get out in front of the coaching hire pool if nothing else, to generate some headlines that Houston is generating (interviewing Les Miles and Lane Kiffin) to energize the fanbase again. At least pretend that we care about football and that there is reason for fans to buy tickets.
Dooley...
I am thinking the opposite..hoping for the opposite ... that they are working behind the scenes to get everything accomplished before announcing . ...behind the scenes buyout, fire and hire....kind of like a NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS".
Please give us a Christmas present by hearing "leaked" news reports that Joe Moorehead is coming back ....

Reaction Score
There is no way Moorehead is coming here, he is hot property.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley...
I am thinking the opposite..hoping for the opposite ... that they are working behind the scenes to get everything accomplished before announcing . ...behind the scenes buyout, fire and hire....kind of like a NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS".
Please give us a Christmas present by hearing "leaked" news reports that Joe Moorehead is coming back ....

I really hope I'm wrong. That's all I can say.

Reaction Score
Here we go again - The State budget has absolutely nothing to do w/ funding the UConn Athletic Department buyout of any coach. Zero, zippo, nil!
Please stop!!! Stop defending the a hole. He's on the duck**ng BOT's. You don't think UConn football has gone into the dumper on his watch???? He did squat to help the school during conference realignment.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Please stop!!! Stop defending the a hole. He's on the duck**ng BOT's. You don't think UConn football has gone into the dumper on his watch???? He did squat to help the school during conference realignment.
Where is he defending him? He's just making a point that the state budget has nothing to do with the AD, something a multitude of people ignore or don't know yet use as an excuse for our situation over and over again.....

Reaction Score

Reading is not one of your strong points is it?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can tell you that under Edsall the Assistant's worked on a contract that went year to year and any bowl games that put them over were considered carry-over from the contract they were working off of and covered under those terms. I'' not sure if things have changed since then though.
FD, that arrangement (year to year contracts) is pretty standard. There are likely some (I would guess at most 8-10) who are on slightly better and long term deals but most assistants need to have their contracts renewed shortly before the season ends. Some need to sweat it out after the season is over to find out if they'll have a job the following year.

Reaction Score
Where is he defending him? He's just making a point that the state budget has nothing to do with the AD, something a multitude of people ignore or don't know yet use as an excuse for our situation over and over again.....
Then how did John Rowland get the State to spend billions to rebuild UCONN's campus in the middle and late 90's and early 2000's? Whose budget did that come out of? I know he's just making a point but he's very quick, almost too quick to point that out. Almost like a guardian standing by to help wash Malloy's hands. Now that I've mentioned Rowland, a Republican gov now in prison, I know several on this board will think they see an opportunity. Lol

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Then how did John Rowland get the State to spend billions to rebuild UCONN's campus in the middle and late 90's and early 2000's? Whose budget did that come out of?
You do know there's a difference between the UConn2000 project and the schools athletic budget, right? The state is 100% invested in the university in terms of infrastructure and academic purposes. When it comes to athletics it's completely different and that's all huskymedic was stating......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then how did John Rowland get the State to spend billions to rebuild UCONN's campus in the middle and late 90's and early 2000's? Whose budget did that come out of? I know he's just making a point but he's very quick, almost too quick to point that out. Almost like a guardian standing by to help wash Malloy's hands. Now that I've mentioned Rowland, a Republican gov now in prison, I know several on this board will think they see an opportunity. Lol

@huskymedic it may be hopeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger