Is the SC game really the most significant one so far this season? | The Boneyard

Is the SC game really the most significant one so far this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is #1 vs. #2, perhaps round one of the NC game, it comes late in the season, it possibly answers some questions regarding the relative chances of each team for the NC, it is on national TV, sold out huge crowed, generating great interest, but is it more significant to the players, coaches and die hard UCONN fans here at the Boneyard than the Notre Dame game earlier this season. Notre Dam, after the passing of Tennessee, is and has been the biggest rivalry, and the only ones who can lay claim to having gotten the best of UCONN recently. Isn't a game against your biggest rival really the most significant game? Of course that was weeks ago and today is today, with all the hype the media can produce about what is coming rather than what has been.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It is #1 vs. #2, perhaps round one of the NC game, it comes late in the season, it possibly answers some questions regarding the relative chances of each team for the NC, it is on national TV, sold out huge crowed, generating great interest, but is it more significant to the players, coaches and die hard UCONN fans here at the Boneyard than the Notre Dame game earlier this season. Notre Dam, after the passing of Tennessee, is and has been the biggest rivalry, and the only ones who can lay claim to having gotten the best of UCONN recently. Isn't a game against your biggest rival really the most significant game? Of course that was weeks ago and today is today, with all the hype the media can produce about what is coming rather than what has been.

Agreed. At the time, the ND game was the most significant game on the schedule for the reason you mentioned.
Fast forward to today, and the fact that UConn has already vanquished the Irish, yes, this has become the biggest and most significant game right after the ND game. The fact that both programs remained undefeated until now, and with all of the added media hype, this is the biggest game until the tournament begins. That is precisely why South Carolina was able to sell out the 18,000 seat arena they play in. Fans of any sport always want to see the two reigning goliaths go at each other.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is the most important game of the season simply because it is the next game of the season! :cool:

I don't think it really changes the percentages much either way for the NCAAs - both teams will be #1 seeds, and their brackets depend on so many variables that the outcome of the game itself will be completely obscured by the time the seeding and assignments are actually made. The fact that it is played is probably more important for the loser than the winner as they are likely to learn more and change more should a rematch occur.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This game is FAR more significant to SC than the Huskies. Two out of the three possible scenarios are positive for SC. If they win they'll enter the Big Show with confidence. If they play UCONN close they'll enter The Show with confidence. If they lose they'll have less confidence, but they can still say "Well we'll have a better chance when Dozier plays".

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'd still say it's more important to us (fans and likely the team) to go undefeated in SEC play. It would mean more to the media and people elsewhere for USC to beat UCONN, though of course we really want this game, just like you do. We have to live around our conference brethren, however, so wins over them means we don't hear Bulldogs, Vols and Gators running their collective mouths. Most of our interaction with UCONN fans is just online. Other than my sister-in-law, who got her masters at UCONN, I don't know any other UCONN fans.

Reaction Score
I'd still say it's more important to us (fans and likely the team) to go undefeated in SEC play. It would mean more to the media and people elsewhere for USC to beat UCONN, though of course we really want this game, just like you do. We have to live around our conference brethren, however, so wins over them means we don't hear Bulldogs, Vols and Gators running their collective mouths. Most of our interaction with UCONN fans is just online. Other than my sister-in-law, who got her masters at UCONN, I don't know any other UCONN fans.

Cockhrnleghrn, let me congratulate you on admitting your sister-in-law is the most intelligent person in the family, this with her masters from UCONN :D. Don't let the conference / myth fool you, anyone can have a bad night as another has a good one. A win over UCONN would shut the collective mouths of any opponent in any conference. They would celebrate as a brethren of the ones being able to do it. ;) (Or should)

Carpe Diem...you asked a question and then answered it.;) One game is behind us the next is ahead of us. Is the SC game really the most significant one so far this season?
Yes ...

Reaction Score
This is the most important game of the season so far, 1 vs. 2. But the idea that S.C. cares more about the win than UConn is false. I believe Stewie, Moriah, Morgan want to win more than the S.C. players because they're supposed to win. And Monday will show that. The Huskies will out hustle and outplay S.C.

Reaction Score
It is a great game as far as to see where each team is at right now but that is all.So they can see what they need to work on.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It's not the most important game of the season. Most interesting, perhaps, but, not as important as NCAA tourney, conference tourney - arguably, not as important as the USF game. Worst case scenario, UConn unexpectedly loses - it doesn't affect conference standings, and, UConn is still a #1 seed. All it does is give other teams a bit of hope and schadenfreude, which may sting, but, that's about it. It certainly would give the coaching staff material to work with, and would deeply motivate the team (not that they need it).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Irrespective of how the two teams see it, this is a big-time game for WCBB. One versus two, both undefeated, is always good. A game hyped up on ESPN is most always good. The game needs more of these big match-ups during the Jan-Mar part of the season.

Personally, I would like nothing better than a repeat of last year's classic performance by UCONN. I can still Moriah flying down the court, and KML tossing up daggers, one after another.

Reaction Score
SO FAR the ND game was the biggest as UCONN has not played USC yet. If we include the rest of the season, the NC game in April will be the biggest.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think for ESPN, it is the biggest, because they expect big viewership. I know a lot of USC fans who don't usually watch WBB, will likely watch this one.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
On the National stage in WCBB it is the most significant so far this season but for the individual teams it will have to be judged after the season is over as to the evolution and impact it had on each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom