Is the BYU/UConn game sold out? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is the BYU/UConn game sold out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You better type with hoarse fingers come Saturday Morning Aug. 30. :)

walkerhooves.jpg

Reaction Score
Not even in the same universe. God forbid we refute the narrative that UConn fans don't support the team.

Are we now comparing the relevance of a positive comment from a future Heisman winner to the number of points scored in a Canadian High School basketball game? Oy gevaldt:rolleyes:!

Reaction Score
Now how do we get these people to go inside before the playing of the National Anthem or better yet before the team comes thru the student section? Can't F#cken wait!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

So you have trouble with fans who show up late too? Here in Utah we have many people who go by MST (Mormon Standard Time). It runs about 45 to 60 minute behind local time. At kickoff the stadium looks about a third full and it doesn't fill in until halftime.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So you have trouble with fans who show up late too? Here in Utah we have many people who go by MST (Mormon Standard Time). It runs about 45 to 60 minute behind local time. At kickoff the stadium looks about a third full and it doesn't fill in until halftime.

Big problem here. The loudest (and fullest) that our stadium gets is between the mid of the 1st quarter to halftime. Late arrivals and early departures. The past 3 seasons have been especially poor with the exception of the Michigan game. Fans were actually in their seats before kickoff for the Wolverines. I think a lot of that had to do with the fan base's overall poor perception of the Pasqualoni regime (rightfully so). I'm very interested to see how our fanbase responds to Diaco and the new energy/enthusiasm. Also note: word is spreading that tailgate policies are going to be enforced this year (no tailgating 30 minutes prior to kickoff and during games). That might help get people to their seats on-time too. Crossing my fingers.

Reaction Score
Looks like they're selling the rest of the stadium to donors and season ticket holders at $20 a seat. I just scooped 4 up in 239 (better than my seats) for some buddies that wanted to go. So if you didn't get the email and have season tix you can use the promo code FILLTHERENT and get the deal. And they look like they're selling decent....not as many big open blocks of seats that I saw last week.

Reaction Score
Looks like they're selling the rest of the stadium to donors and season ticket holders at $20 a seat. I just scooped 4 up in 239 (better than my seats) for some buddies that wanted to go. So if you didn't get the email and have season tix you can use the promo code FILLTHERENT and get the deal. And they look like they're selling decent....not as many big open blocks of seats that I saw last week.

>>>Thank you for your ongoing support of the UConn Football program as a season ticket holder and/or donor.

We look forward to seeing you next Friday (August 29) at 7:00 p.m. as our Huskies open the 2014 season against BYU at Rentschler Field.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty, we want to provide you with an exclusive “Friends and Family” ticket offer. You can purchase additional tickets for just $20 each, a 50% discount off the regular reserved single game price. Invite your relatives, neighbors, and colleagues to experience the excitement of UConn Football for a very special price.

We want to fill “The Rent” as Coach Diaco leads our football program into a new era --- and show the national television audience that UConn Country is stronger than ever. Please encourage others to be part of our team next Friday evening.

CLICK HERE to buy “Friends and Family” tickets now. Enter promo codeFILLTHERENT to access the special discount pricing. (Tickets are limited and will not be located near or around seats you may have as a season ticket holder.)

For more information or to order by phone, please call our Athletic Ticket Office at 877-AT-UCONN (288-2666), Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Thanks again for your continuing dedication to UConn Athletics and our football program.

Go Huskies!

warde.png

Warde Manuel
Athletic Director<<

Reaction Score

Just got 4 in that same section. Great deal

Reaction Score
KBCoug said:

Well, a few too many purported UCONN fans feel the need to kick back their 12th pre-game beer before meandering into The Rent late and sometimes finding their seats. On the other hand, that might not be a reasonable excuse for tardy fans arriving at LaVell Edwards Stadium. What's their excuse? Exceedingly heavy Provo traffic?

... never quite understood why people buy tickers to any event, arrive late, depart early, drink so much they can't walk let alone the game, concert, etc., but call me crazy. If it leads to more people getting in their seats before kickoff, maybe the 1/2 cut off or encouragement to shut things down before kickoff has some merit. Don't see it working all too well, but it would be great of more people act like fans by finding their seats before kickoff versus the 2nd quarter. Yup, crazzzzy concept. Go Huskies!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have a dream. A dream that someday UConn will just price the tickets correctly, instead of annoying people who pay full price by slashing them at the last second.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I have a dream. A dream that someday UConn will just price the tickets correctly, instead of annoying people who pay full price by slashing them at the last second.

This isn't a UCONN problem. It is a problem for nearly every event (Broadway/sports/music) that exists in the age of free flowing information.

You either end up with our situation or a situation like the Super Bowl where all kinds of profits are captured by outside parties and not the league.

When you only have 20-25k people that really care what is the right price? You need to extract what you can from them and get what you can get from the rest.

The goal is making 40k people care. And the ticket office can't do that. That is the job of HCBD.

Reaction Score
I'm going to offer a few radical statements that many will "hate my guts for" But that's o.k. because I appreciate everyone's commentary on every topic, whether or not I agree with the same rationalizations offered to support different thoughts.

First of all, arriving late at events isn't a universal trait. It seems some offer that a few extra beers or whatever before entering the stadium and or at halftime is more important that supporting UConn football for the duration of the event. This is a sporting event, not a drink fest!

I do agree with the pricing of the event. t is too much for the average family. I've heard this complaint from 2002 forward......we play at the highest level of NCAA football categories, and the average family can't afford to go. Add to that, the economy in Connecticut stinks, it is dead last in recovery from the great recession, one of the worst states to retire in, one of the worst states for business investment and job growth, in top five for highest cost of living........and we wonder why we can't fill the stadium? Add to that a lack luster program and conference. Drop the prices for all tickets!

Some have suggested Rutgers "gave away tickets" to fill the stadium. I have no clue as to if that is true or not. But if true, look who's laughing now.......Rutgers is in P5.......guess who isn't. Its not just the play on the field, but no P5 conference is going to add a program with what appears to be lack luster interest of fans. ....... aka half empty stadiums.

Sue, Warde, and Bob may do an outstanding job improving the performance on the field with a better focus on enhancing the quality of athletes and program perception. Fans have to stop making excuses for not showing up and do their part to help the program go where everybody wants it to go.

Reaction Score
I'm going to offer a few radical statements that many will "hate my guts for" But that's o.k. because I appreciate everyone's commentary on every topic, whether or not I agree with the same rationalizations offered to support different thoughts.

First of all, arriving late at events isn't a universal trait. It seems some offer that a few extra beers or whatever before entering the stadium and or at halftime is more important that supporting UConn football for the duration of the event. This is a sporting event, not a drink fest!

I do agree with the pricing of the event. t is too much for the average family. I've heard this complaint from 2002 forward.we play at the highest level of NCAA football categories, and the average family can't afford to go. Add to that, the economy in Connecticut stinks, it is dead last in recovery from the great recession, one of the worst states to retire in, one of the worst states for business investment and job growth, in top five for highest cost of living...and we wonder why we can't fill the stadium? Add to that a lack luster program and conference. Drop the prices for all tickets!

Some have suggested Rutgers "gave away tickets" to fill the stadium. I have no clue as to if that is true or not. But if true, look who's laughing now..Rutgers is in P5..guess who isn't. Its not just the play on the field, but no P5 conference is going to add a program with what appears to be lack luster interest of fans. .. aka half empty stadiums.

Sue, Warde, and Bob may do an outstanding job improving the performance on the field with a better focus on enhancing the quality of athletes and program perception. Fans have to stop making excuses for not showing up and do their part to help the program go where everybody wants it to go.

The problem isn't arriving late. Everyone is there. They are just choosing to drink v. enter the stadium. That is because out of the 23K season ticket holders, probably half of them are diehard UCONN football fans and the other half are guests or merely addicted to the "experience" and not the football.

Pricing is not the problem. If it were, and a family really wanted to go, they would just go to 1 or 2 games instead of getting season tickets. Families don't go because they don't want to go. Getting 2 adults and two kids to be aligned on one thing they like is nearly impossible. I have 4 tickets for my family. 90% of the time it is just me and my older son. My wife stopped going when her friend died who was part of our group and once Sio left (who she taught when he was a student in West Haven) she has better things to do. My younger son hates sports. I keep the tickets on the off occasion that a friend wants them. But I have tickets and I can't get my family to go. I have tried to give away tickets to people that say tickets are expensive and they won't take them. The #1 problem is that filling stadiums requires 10s of thousands of people to develop a new habit. Which means they have to stop doing something else. My sister's inlaws (who have had tickets since the Rent opened) didn't renew this year. They had 3 weekends where they were going to be away so they didn't bother.

The economy doesn't help, but that is way overblown. If there are 1,000 people that would buy season tickets that don't because they can't afford it I'd be surprised. Sure there would be people that would take tickets for free, but I would guess if you gave 5,000 people free season tickets, you'd probably only get 2,000 of them to show up for each game. The amount of money that is spent on leisure in this state is astounding, and the cost of UCONN football is a pittance. It is a demand issue. It just isn't there.

With Rutgers, it was TV DMA and location. The rest is just noise. They didn't fill their stadium either, even with the giveaways.

And lastly - it isn't fans making excuses, it is that there aren't enough real fans. THAT is what we need to change. You do that, and the rest takes care of itself.

Reaction Score
For the record, the economy in the Cleveland area is FAR worse...think you will find an empty seat in the Quicken Loans arena this year? 20,562 * 41 games...NOPE.

Reaction Score
Will gladly buy 2 for that $20 promo offer if anyone can hook me up.

Reaction Score
The ticket question is an interesting one. If you charge high prices to the hard core fans, you assure a level of income. I saw this in Toronto this summer for the exhibition soccer games against top level European teams. The sponsors were quite happy to sell $90 tickets to 25,000 fans instead of $60 tickets to 40,000 fans. They knew 25k would pay that, and they needed that assurance for the fees to the club teams who made the trip.

Reaction Score
At what point are people going to realize that the economy is not WORST/or BAD/or ETC... its just the way that things are gonna be from now on. Things are going to remain like this for a while so betta get used it and make adjustments. Just gotta be a little more conscious about your expenses and spend money wisely on things you enjoy so the economy is not a real excuse not to fill up the Rent.

What UConn should really aim for is to grow the loyal fan base who will follow the team in good and bad times... That is a really hard task to tackle in fair-weather fans' paradise (New England/New York area) but I'm sure UConn is well capable to create a larger loyal following with the success that it has had

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Pricing is not the problem. If it were, and a family really wanted to go, they would just go to 1 or 2 games instead of getting season tickets. Families don't go because they don't want to go.

I hear this from multiple posters, and the thing that bothers me the most about it is that it's wrong. I mean, it's just straight up wrong. What UConn (and other institutions / sports teams / etc.) are doing is maximizing profits. That's fine. What other people are arguing is that UConn could maximize attendance instead of profits. And that can be done most simply by dropping the price to the point of sellouts every game, which can absolutely be done in CT.

Now we can have a discussion about whether UConn should try to maximize profits, maximize attendance, or find a happy medium between the two. But if you truly believe that we have maximized both criteria with a magical pricing strategy, then I have some land to sell you in the everglades...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This isn't a UCONN problem. It is a problem for nearly every event (Broadway/sports/music) that exists in the age of free flowing information.

You either end up with our situation or a situation like the Super Bowl where all kinds of profits are captured by outside parties and not the league.

When you only have 20-25k people that really care what is the right price? You need to extract what you can from them and get what you can get from the rest.

The goal is making 40k people care. And the ticket office can't do that. That is the job of HCBD.

It just teaches people to wait for the slashing. Just because everyone does it that doesn't make it smart.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Back to the question from the OP...the Rent can get very loud, usually more so at night. I'm with Jimmy in that the Pitt game in '04 was the loudest game I've seen at the Rent. Palko's three false starts/delay of game penalties in a row were amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom